Status: Started

Found THE Boy

Three

James watched Max’s hand on her back, rubbing it soothingly, “He’s in the bathroom.”

Finley made her way inside and Max went to follow, “Stop Max, let her do this on her own,”

Max stood with his old teammates, “I made a mistake.”

“Big one,” James nodded.

They all talked for a while until Sidney got a text message. He ran inside and the curiosity got to the other two who followed close behind. They found Finley standing near the back of a hallway against a wall with Nick over her, yelling.

Sidney peeled Nick away from her and James went right to her to comfort her. Max stepped between the two, “This is your fucking fault man!” Nick yelled at Max.

“Yes it is,” Finley stepped away from James and next to Max, “He made me feel better in one night than you ever have in months. He might be an asshole, but he doesn’t try to manipulate me or make me feel worse about myself the way you do. I’m not falling for all of this again, I can’t,” she finished.

“You said you were done with him,” Nick pointed to Max.

“I might be,” she looked at Max too, “But he’s more of a man than you will ever be,” she walked away.

Nick left the reception and no one really cared where he went. Instead, the three men just stood in shock. Thankfully, no one had noticed the exchange so they were able to walk away without having to give an explanation.

After the introductions were made and people began eating and drinking Max went in search for Finley. He found her in the back, on the porch overlooking the lake. He stood for a moment before walking up to her, “You okay?”

“Fine,” she smiled, “Just feel bad it happened today.”

Max leaned against the ledge in front of her, “So, I made you feel better in one night?”

“Don’t get cocky,” she shook her head with a laugh.

“What about another night? do you think I could make you feel better two nights?”

“Max, stop,” she got up and pushed him back.

He grabbed her wrist and smiled, “How about I work at making you feel better every night and day?”

“You’re one cocky bastard,” she laughed again.

“You made me feel better too,” he set her hand against his chest, “I felt like I could actually be with someone, completely be with someone.”

She put her finger to his lips, “In one night you made me feel amazing. You made me feel
beautiful and sexy and like I was the only woman you ever wanted to be with; even if that night never happened again, I had it. I had that one night of passionate love making,” even she laughed at how cheesy that sounded, “that so many people wait a lifetime for. One night
Maxime, that was all I really needed.”

“I love you,” he blurted again and then took a breath, “I didn’t say goodbye because I was
scared. I was afraid you’d think less of me because I was a Flyer, because I was a chicken shit who couldn’t tell you how I felt all the times I wanted to. And when I woke up and you weren’t there I thought my words were lost,” he took another deep breath, “I thought I’d lost you.”

“If I had stayed, if you had said goodbye things would have been different.”

“How so?” he asked.

“As soon as you told me you loved me,” she bit her lip, “I really thought I’d made it up,” she
blushed and giggled.

He touched her cheek and tilted his head so he could see her eyes better, “You didn’t make it up mon amour. I’ll tell you every day.”

“Every day?” she pushed him playfully.

“That night was amazing,” he became serious again, “I want that, I’ve never felt that before.”

“Me either,” she agreed, “And for the record, I still hate the Flyers.”

“Even me?”

“Only when you beat the Penguins.”

He chuckled, “I wouldn’t expect any less cherie.”

“Though Giroux is exceptionally good looking, and Hartnell’s growing on me. Briere is adorable…”

Max shut her up with a kiss he had been waiting an entire year to have. He and Finley filled the short time alone with a year of missing passion and love, a year they had spent dreaming of each other. And with that one kiss, they found exactly what they were looking for and what they had missed for so long.

“My teammates are going to love you,” he said with his forehead pressed to hers, “But don’t let them know you think they’re cute or whatever,” he shook his head.

She put her hand on his scruffy cheek, “Don’t worry, I’ve loved you a long time Talbot.”

Max kissed her nose, “I missed you Finley.”

Her arms wrapped around his neck, “I missed you too Maxime.”

After a few more moments Max winked at her, “Let’s get inside.”

The two went inside and to a table with the rest of the guys. Some of the old teammates Max hadn’t seen at the wedding greeted him warmly, but James still had his eye on Max.

Finley put her hand on James’ arm, “Down trigger.”

“You know I’ll kill him if he…”

“Don’t worry Jay, I think I found a boy.”

Sidney smiled from across the table just as Max walked back toward them. He sat down next to Finley and set his hand on her leg, “You look beautiful,” he leaned in and whispered.

“Thank you,” she turned her head toward him with a giggle.

Max smiled as he leaned in and kissed her nose.

The reception was great, everyone was having fun and getting along until Jordan walked up to the table, “Guys, I got traded,” he frowned.

All of the Penguins players stared at him in disbelief, “What?” Sidney finally asked.

“I was just traded to Carolina.”

Finley frowned too, Jordan was a good friend of hers and she would miss him and Heather being around. She was the first to stand up and hug him, “You get to play with Eric at least.”

“Yeah, that’s a perk.”

The guys all walked away with him to a corner to discuss the situation and say some goodbyes. Max was left with Finley at the table, “You okay?” he asked.

“He really did want to play with one of his brothers,” she nodded, “And he deserves more ice time than the Pens will give him. He only plays above the third line when someone’s hurt, it’s not fair to him.”

“As a friend?”

“I hate it,” she laughed.

“Did you hate it when I signed with the Flyers?”

“Yes,” she looked at him.

“I have a golf tournament next weekend back home, come with me?”

“We’ll see,” she smiled as Heather walked over to her.