Frames That Used to Greet Me

Thinking of You

When Thursday rolled around and I still hadn't seen Mickey, I started to worry. Or at least wonder. I didn’t understand why she seemed to be avoiding me, but I figured it must be work related and tried not to dwell on it too much.

And plus, I have other things to think about. Like Cora, and how tomorrow I’ll see her again.

I don’t want to dwell on that either though, so instead I focus on something entirely different.

Like making dinner.

Livia’s over, and she and Lou are seated on the couch when I finally surface from my bedroom. I took the opportunity to sleep in and be lazy, which it seems the two lovebirds are doing the same. I sit down on the couch opposite the side where they’re tangled up in each other and glance at the screen. A football match is on, which Liv seems less than thrilled about, but Lou is happy so she’s happy.

I can’t get over the two of them sometimes. Sometimes I think back to before they were together, which was only a few months ago, back to when I first met Liv on the steps in our building. How rude she was to me, and how rude she continued to be. The way I knew Lou was falling for her even before he’d admit it to himself, and vice versa for Livia herself. I found it funny that sometimes the people around you know you better than you know yourself.

“I’m making dinner,” I announced then, catching the two of them off-guard.

Liv looked skeptic, which didn’t surprise me of course. I knew she would be, because she had been skeptic the first time I made dinner as well. I made her eat her words, of course, but that apparently didn’t matter. “Why?” she asked, uncurling her legs from her boyfriend’s lap so she could face me. “Are you sick? Dying? Should we be worried?”

Lou chuckled gently from beside her, but I just rolled my eyes. “If I recall, the last time I made dinner it was the best meal you’d ever eaten.”

Liv rolled her eyes, returning to her position of being draped over Lou’s lap. “Fine. Make dinner, I don’t have any other plans. Will your lady friend be joining us?”

“I don’t know who you’re talking about,” I remarked easily before I got off the couch and headed to the kitchen. I had a dinner to plan.

Livia followed though, which I knew she would. My answer didn’t satisfy her so now she was going to interrogate me. Brilliant.

“Don’t play that game with me, Styles,” she said as she sat down at the bar, grabbing an apple from the bowl and taking a bite. “Speaking of, why haven’t I seen Michaela doing her walk of shame lately? Did she finally come to her senses?”

I rolled my eyes while I looked in the fridge for something to cook. “She’s been busy, that’s all.”

Maybe my voice wasn’t as playful as usual. Maybe I honestly felt a bit off about the whole Michaela situation. I don’t know, but whatever the reason was, Livia picked something up. She was like a bloodhound who had just caught a scent of whatever she was looking for, so she ran with it. “What’s up, Harry?”

I knit my eyebrows together in confusion as I shut the fridge and turned to her, coming up empty on dinner plans but now fully focused on our conversation. “What are you on about, Liv?”

“Did the Michaela situation finally blow up in your face?”

For the third time that afternoon, I rolled my eyes. “No. She’s been busy, that’s all. It’s not like we’re dating. We don’t have to spend every waking moment with one another.”

Liv shrugged, taking another bite of her apple and chewing thoughtfully before answering. “No, you’re just fuck buddies. How did that even come about, anyways? I mean... I’m sorry, but I don’t know a lot of girls who are all for a strictly physical non-relationship. That just has bad idea written all over it.”

I leaned against the counter in front of Liv and shrugged my shoulders. “When I met her, she hated me.” I couldn’t help the smirk that fell onto my lips when I said that. “But then she came around, like everyone does, and we started talking more. She had just gotten out of a long, messy relationship and didn’t want to be tied down, but she wanted to have some fun. And, well, that’s my middle name.”

Livia rolled her eyes and laughed. “You’re unbelievable, Haz. Honestly. So that’s it? She wanted to have fun so you fell into her bed, and it’s been like that ever since?”

I shrugged and nodded, because honestly? That was exactly it. “Why? You don’t believe me?”

I watched as she thought about it for a moment--I could almost see the gears turning in her head--but then she shrugged her shoulders and shook her head. “No, I guess I do. It just seems a little bizarre.”

“Not everyone wants a serious long term relationship, yeah?”

Liv didn’t say anymore, but instead finished her apple and went back to join her boyfriend while he watched the rest of the match. With no more disturbances, I got to work on dinner.

***

“Well,” Liv said, leaning back in her seat at the bar where we decided to eat dinner. She and Lou were seated while I stood from across them. “I’ll admit, you can cook Haz. You can be my personal chef any time.”

I laughed and shook my head. “Thanks, Liv. I’ll keep that in mind, but do know I enjoy cooking naked.”

She rolled her eyes and turned to Lou. “I walked right into that one didn’t I?”

Lou laughed and nodded. “There was a flashing red sign and you missed it, babe.”

“Well, good job Harry. I applaud you. I’d offer to clean up, but I’m feeling sleepy...” she trailed off before she let her head fall onto the bar easily.

I rolled my eyes. “You’re so dramatic.”

She grinned up at me. “I learn from the best!” She winked at both of us before standing. “I vote Lou cleans!” she called out before retreating to the living room, leaving both of us laughing.

“How do you put up with her?” I asked Lou while I finished my last few bites.

He shrugged. “I like to think she puts up with us, yeah?”

Couldn’t argue there.

In the end, Lou and I cleaned up before heading to the living room to join Livia, who had a film in and was obviously very comfy on the couch. Lou sat down near her and her legs curled up in his lap again while I found a spot in one of the recliners.

We were quiet for awhile, just watching the movie and enjoying relaxing after dinner. But Liv didn’t do quiet, and soon she was turning the volume down on the TV and the interrogation from earlier was back on. “Is Mickey mad at you?” she asked me.

I sighed. “Liv, drop it. She’s busy with work, it’s really a common thing for normal people.”

“All right, but--”

Lou cut her off. “What’s she on about Haz?”

I sighed again, rubbing my face in frustration. “Nothing! She’s being nosy, as usual.” I glared at her from across the room and she stuck her tongue out at me like a child. That defined our friendship pretty well, though.

“Actually, no, Liv’s right. I haven’t heard Mick slip out early in the morning, or you slip back in for quite awhile. Are things okay?” Lou asked, his concerned-older-brother voice on and in full-force.

“They’re fine! Everything’s fine. Bloody hell, the two of your are worse than me mum.” I shook my head before continuing. “Mickey and I aren’t even dating. Isn’t it better that we’re seeing less of each other?”

I looked to the both of them for confirmation, but Liv just shrugged. “I guess. It just seems sudden. She was here, and then...” she trailed off before a look of what I would have guessed as anger flashed over her face. “Harry Styles, don’t tell me this is because of the twat from the coffee shop.”

I groaned, and apparently that was all Liv needed.

“Harry! I told you she’s way out of your league. She’s too old for you, and she’s an idiot! I swear to god, she’s like a Valley Girl, reincarnated but twenty times more dense!”

I rolled my eyes. “Come off it, Liv. She’s nice! It has nothing to do with her, although for your information I’m going to be seeing her tomorrow.”

“I find it more than a coincidence that you’re seeing more of her and less of Mickey, Haz,” Lou spoke up finally.

I shrugged my shoulders. “It’s just a coincidence. Mickey’s busy, Cora’s not.”

“So it’s all about convenience?” Livia fired back without missing a beat.

“No! Ugh,” I groaned, raking my hands through my curls in frustration. “Mickey and I are friends, Cora and I are friends. That’s it. I’m not seeing anyone, and honestly it’s none of your damn business Livia.” Irritated and fed up with the third-degree I was getting, I got up and went to my room.

I knew it was a bit childish to just brush the both of them off like I did, but I couldn’t help it. It really wasn’t anyone's business but Michaela’s and mine, so I wasn’t obligated to answer all of their questions like I was in a damn interview.

I sat down on my bed and pulled out my phone. There were no new messages from anyone, which frustrated me further. I tossed it aside, letting it bounce around on my bed before settling towards my feet.

I heard footsteps and then a knock, and when I looked up Livia’s apologetic face filled my gaze. “I’m sorry,” she said, entering into my room without an invitation. “I didn’t mean to piss you off. I guess I just don’t get it.”

“That’s the thing, Liv,” I said, my head resting on my pillow as I stared at the ceiling. “There’s nothing for you to get, because it’s not yours to get.” I sat up a bit more and looked at her as she sat down on my bed. “For some reason unknown to me, you hate Cora, which is fine. But I don’t. I enjoy her company, and that’s all there is to it. All right?”

She nodded sheepishly, but said nothing.

“As for Mickey, I don’t know what’s going on. We’re just friends, so she’s not obligated to tell me what she’s doing twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. Just like I’m not obligated to tell her. She did, however, tell me she’s busy with work, and I believe her. Okay?”

She nodded again. “Okay. Can I talk now?”

I shrugged, waving for her to go on.

“Remember when you came over to my flat to talk to me about Louis? Back before we got together? And how we had to figure out our feelings, blah blah blah?” I nodded, because of course I remembered. “I guess I’m just doing the same for you. You are my friend, Haz, even if we give each other a hard time. I have no plans to go anywhere any time soon, and I’d hate to see you get hurt, but at the same time I don’t want to watch you break any hearts in the process. All right?”

Now I was confused. Who was she referring to? My confusion must have showed, because she continued. “Mickey, Haz. Don’t hurt the poor girl. I know you say you guys are just having fun, no strings attached, whatever. But honestly I’ve been there before, and someone gets hurt. You can say whatever you want, but someone always gets hurt.”

I brushed her off. “No one’s going to get hurt, Liv. But thank you. I appreciate it.” Because I did, I appreciated her watching out for me.

She nodded. “Okay. You’re welcome. I don’t want to say I told you so okay? Just be careful.”

I rolled my eyes but smirked and waved her off. She smiled, ruffled my hair despite my protests, and then left.

I felt a little better, but thoughts of Mickey were still in my head. I got off my bed and grabbed my phone, dialing her number. I had a strange feeling she wouldn’t pick up, so when it went to voicemail I wasn’t surprised but instead just left a message.

“Hey Mick. Just wondered what you were up to. Another busy day? Call me back, although you might be asleep now. Call me tomorrow. I miss you, I want to see you soon. All right? Okay. See you soon, love.”

When I hung up, I felt a little better. Mickey was just busy. We’d figure it out when things quieted down, I was sure of it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ashley wanted me to title this chapter "Livia the Flawless Queen" which let's be honest would have been entirely too fitting. Because Livia is flawless, and she's the queen around these parts.
Sorry this took so long! I got lazy. That's honestly my only excuse.
Comments would be lovely! :)