Status: Brand new. Comments keep me motivated. ;)

Like The Sound Of A Smile

Four.

Ellie woke to the burning feeling of the morning sun through the window. Taking a moment to collect her thoughts, she remembered where she was and ultimately, why she was there. With a sigh, she got out of the guest room bed and made her way to the bathroom. She looked at herself in the mirror. She was a complete wreck. Her silky brown hair lacked its usual luster as it fell around her face, out of the bun she had affixed atop her hair the night before. Dark circles under her swollen eyes were evidence of her night of crying. She and Jack hadn’t just sat and watched the movie. Just as What’s This? began, Jack mentioned how he missed watching the film with everyone, how me missed Emmet’s impersonations of Jack Skellington, and how he just generally missed Emmet. The pair stayed up until three in the morning just talking about the good ol’ days when everyone was together, and everyone was alive.

She splashed water on her face blotted it with a towel. When she made her way down the stairs, she called out Jack’s name. There was no response. She made her way back up the stairs and slowly opened the door to the master bedroom. As she expected, Jack was still fast asleep. She stood in the doorway for a minute, watching him. He looked so peaceful, so calm. She tiptoed across the hardwood floor and climbed into his bed, worming her way under his arm. He shifted, pulling her closer, and in the same fashion as a few hours earlier, she melted. As Jack came out of his slumber, he couldn’t help but smile at the so familiar scent of her shampoo. The same one she had used before she left. He placed a kiss on the back of her head and whispered a sweet good morning.

“Did I wake you up? she asked, turning to face him.

“Well, yeah. But I don’t mind.” he smiled. He still couldn’t believe that she had come back. Though the reason for her return was devastating, he was happier than he’d been at any point since the day she left. “Do you want to go get breakfast?” he asked.

“Oh, no. That’s okay. I’m not that hungry.”

“Come on, we can go to the old diner. Like we used to on Saturday mornings.”

“I, uhm. I don’t really have any cash to spare.” she admitted, cheeks growing rosy.

“My treat?”

“Jack, you’re letting me stay in your house. That’s enough. I can just make something here.”

“Ellie, there’s no food in this house. I have like coffee, hot cocoa, ramen, and something in a tupperware container that’s been in the fridge for months.”

“Don’t you ever cook for yourself?” she questioned.

“Well, yes. But I just got back from tour. I haven’t had a chance to shop. I guess you have no choice but to let me buy you breakfast.”

“Jack..”

“It’ll be fun. Do you want me to call the rest of the guys? I’m sure they’d love to see you.”

“I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“Why not?”

“Because it’s bad enough that I’m here with you, let alone any more people.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Jack grew very defensive.

“It’s just. This is great. Almost too great. And I’m leaving in three days, and I don’t want to get any more attached than I already am to this place.” That’s when the realization hit Jack. She was leaving. She didn’t come back for good. She came back to bury her brother. She came back to mourn a loss, not to be with him. She would disappear again. She’d leave just like she’d left before. The vicious cycle would continue, and Jack couldn’t do a thing to stop it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Bam! Two chapters in one night. Technically two. But I haven't gone to sleep yet, so I'll count it as one.

Hipsterism commented on this story twice and is therefore my favorite.

Thanks to everyone else for reading and subscribing. Especially the subscribers. Subscribers are the best. Go subscribers. WHOO!

I'm stupid tired right now, so I'm going to bed.

Happy reading! Please comment! Goodnight! :)