Status: Slowly updating.

The Story of 1000 Sorrows

Chapter 2

"I've been kissed by a rose on the grey."


School had become tougher in grade 9. They had new subjects, like Accounting and Business Studies. Angela and Shone spent everyday together. Sometimes after school, they would remain in the school library till dusk, studying and doing homework.

One day, a girl from their class named Cassie came to Angela.

"Are you and Shone dating?" Cassie asked.

"No, we are not dating. We are bestfriends," Angela replied.

"In that case your parents are dating."

"What?" Angela raised his voice. Such idea never occurred to her.

"My brother often hangs out in the local bar. He says both your parents are always spending time together there," Cassie smirked. "Shone's father would run his hand over your mother's ass and fondle her breasts and kiss her passionately in the corner of the bar and--"

"Stop! Stop!" Angela was almost in tears. Cassie's description was violently disgusting for her, and she ran away to find Shone. She found him outside the teacher's room. He had been called by their class teacher for some errands. Angela sobbed and told Shone what she had heard from Cassie. Shone denied it.

"That cannot be. Cassie was either teasing you, or her brother had seen the wrong couple..." But his voice of uncertainty was vehement.

The days passed. Shone would often take Angela for a walk outside. The soft summer breeze kissed their foreheads. Shone would often talk much about life, about how to be strong, about where true happiness lies. Angela found herself loving life more and more. She sang with Shone, made wishes under the moonlight, and laughed with him. Whenever she had problems in Maths, she would come to Shone. Winter came. Snow covered all the land. There was no other Angela, but the one Shone had made out of her.

They were sitting on a bench outside, looking up at the sky.

"I believe in the moon. It is so beautiful... How it can light even the darkest of night," Shone said. "I wish you will always remember, Angela. No matter how dark the world is around you, there will still be some light. Just like the moon and the stars are there, when the sun leaves. Help will always come for those who seek for it. After all, we all need a reason to keep breathing. How many people out there, wishing they were dead? How many people out there crying each and every night? If only they know that happiness can be found even inside their own souls."

He looked into her brown eyes, only to find her staring at him already. There was something unspoken within the gaze, something deep and quiet.

Angela was touched. Her eyes reddened. She wanted to ask where happiness was, but decided against it.

Slowly, he began to sing.

"I know, love will find a way
Anywhere I go, I'm home
If you are there beside me
Like dark, turning into day
Somehow we'll come through
Now that I've found you
Love will find a way.


One night at the end of February, Angela could not sleep. She was lying on her bed, eyes opened. She heard the front door being slowly opened, and the sound of footsteps outside her hall.

She got out of bed and peeped out her door slowly. In the dim light she saw Shone's father entering her mother's bedroom.

Angela closed her door and sank to the floor, sharpening her ears. After few moments she would peep out again. Didn't sleep at all that night.

And Shone's father did not leave her mother's bedroom till five o'clock the next morning.

Image