Status: Not going to be updated

The Keeper of Keys

Up Above

“Look at her.”

I could feel something like cloth being pulled back from my face and all the way down to my toes. The cold air chilled my skin, but the air felt full of energy.

“She’s beautiful.”

The whisper of the cloth falling to the floor reached my ears. Something fitted into the palm of my hand, it fitted perfectly like it was made to rest there.

“What is her name?”

“They said to call her Kaelee, because it is exactly who she is.”

“Kaelee.” This voice whispered into my ears, its warm breath tingling. Whatever was in my hand squeezed it gently. “Do you hear that? That’s your name. Kaelee.”

Someone exhaled.

“You know she will only forget.”

“I know,” the voice next to me also exhaled in the same way.

There was more noise like shuffling and scraping. I could feel the air change; there was still a buzz of energy, but something else heavier, more sombre.

“Are you ready?”

“I have been waiting for this my whole life and yet I don’t think I will ever be fully ready.” The voice let out a strained laugh. I could feel my hand being squeezed tighter and covered by something else, warm and perfectly fitted. I wondered what it was in the silence that followed. Finally, the voice spoke again, “Yes, I am as ready as I will ever be.”

There was more shuffling noise and then a long and low hiss.

“You know that I sent the others before you to prepare the way. I will send her in after. You or one of the others will have to tell her everything as she has never done this before. Her memory cannot last the journey.”

“I know,” the voice hissed again but as if in pain.

“Now it’s her turn.”

The noise came closer, and then something pricked my chest. I could feel something starting to flow inside me and it stung. I could feel air passing through my clenched teeth, low like the sound before. Something wet was flowing down my face.

“She’s awake?!” the voice exclaimed.

“Not for long.”

And then everything felt heavy and slow. My thoughts were slipping away as quickly as they came before nothing came at all. The last thing I was aware of was the thing leaving my hand. And then my hand felt very cold and very alone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a little side project
please comment, hope you enjoyed it :)