Status: I'll start it by the end of the month, I'm sure!

Be With Someone...

I Miss You.

After getting their coffees-which Mike insisted on paying for- the former couple took a seat by the window, letting the natural light wash over them.

It took a few minutes, but Janine was the first to speak.

“You want to talk,” she threw her hands out to the side. “So talk.”

But he was more thoughtful about his words. “You look good. Healthy, happy even.”

“I am,” Janine said through gritted teeth. It wasn’t that she was angry with him-yet. It was just that she had other things to be doing. Like sorting out the whole Kris fiasco.

“Considering everything, I mean. You’ve always looked good, Jeanie,” he said, resting his hand on hers.

Janine grabbed her hand away. “Don’t call me that.” There was only one person she liked calling her that and it wasn’t even Rory. “And considering what? Considering the fact that you cheated on me? That was a long time ago, Mike. Or maybe the fact that my dead twin’s and my birthday is coming up? Because I can tell you now, I can handle it. Which is it?” She refused to let any more tears stream down her face. She was going to be strong.

“Cut the tough girl shit,” Mike countered. “I know you too well for that.”

“Well if you know me so well, you should have known that I actually wanted to have a child with you!” she hissed at him.

Janine’s facial expression matched Mike’s then. She didn’t know where that had come from. Hell, she hadn’t realized it was on her mind.

“You-you wanted to have a kid with me?” Mike gaped.

Afraid, Janine brought her eyes to Mike, not showing any emotion. She could see why she’d fallen for him in the first place.

He was good looking. Sandy blonde hair, blue eyes, and really tall. He wasn’t as muscular as Kris, but then again, up until Janine had met the hockey player, she hadn’t cared for muscles.

She was comparing him, she realized. Janine wanted to see if Mike matched up to Kris, not the other way around.

“At a time, yes,” Janine’s voice was quiet. “And when I saw how excited you were, I was thrilled, Mike.”

“And I ruined that,” he muttered, shaking his head. “I’m so sorry.”

“I’ve spent a lot of time hating you, Mike,” she explained. “But I think I’m beyond that now. I just… I just want to get on with my life.”

A car pulled up to the curb, making Mike raise his voice. “And what are you doing now? To get on with your life?” He was honestly curious.

“I’m working for the Pens,” she smiled, thinking of the group of guys she called family. “As a PT.”

“Wow,” Mike sat back in his seat. “That’s awesome, Jeanie.” He squeezed her hand; surprised Janine let him do that. “I mean Janine.”

Janine laughed a real laugh for the first time in a while, only to be interrupted by a car roaring to life and tearing off down the street.

“Huh,” Janine peered behind her, trying to catch a glimpse of the speeding vehicle.

“You okay?” Mike asked.

“Yeah,” she shook her head to clear her thoughts. “Just looked familiar, that’s all.”

******

They had said goodbye permanently at the coffeehouse. With a cordial hug goodbye, Mike had seen her off to her car, and with a wave, they had went their separate ways. She had wanted to find something to hate him for again, but there just wasn’t anything.

Pulling up into her parking spot, Janine unloaded her bags, and struggled up the steps with her suitcase in tow. She was brought to a halt at her front door. There was a note.

“He was here for practically an hour,” Janine’s neighbor, Mrs. Manson, called to her from her own porch. “Stood on the steps and then sat in his car. Good looking young man.”

“When?” Janine asked, staring at the small piece of paper in her hand.

“Maybe an hour or so ago,” the older woman thought for a moment. “He seemed awful eager to talk to you.”

“Right,” she nodded. “Thanks.”

On the paper, Kris had scrawled a few words, enough to make her heart race.

I miss you, Jeanie. –Kris
♠ ♠ ♠
So second update for today. What do you think is going through Kris's mind now? I hope I threw you all for a loop, although I doubt it.

I have this idea for a Stamkos short story, but it's still in its early stages, and I'm not sure how good it is. But whatever. It's been nagging to be written for a while, so maybe the sooner it's out of my head, the sooner I can get on with some other ideas I have.

Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!