Status: I'll start it by the end of the month, I'm sure!

Be With Someone...

Just Out of Curiosity.

“I’m so nervous, Rory,” Janine bemoaned later that week.

“What’s there to be nervous about?” her cousin asked over the phone. “It’s just work.”

“New work. Like, working with a professional sports team, new,” Janine elaborated.

Rory snorted. “You’ll be fine. They wouldn’t have given you the job if they didn’t think you could do it.”

“I’m still scared out of my fucking mind,” she sighed.

“Let’s move on to something more exciting,” Rory suggested. “Like clothes. What are you wearing?”

“You have to be joking,” Janine muttered. “Um, I don’t know. I was thinking those new skinny leg slacks. But I’m not sure what top.”

“The blue, quarter length sleeve, scoop neck and then where those new blue pumps I bought you for Christmas,” Rory rattled off.

“Should I be concerned that you know my wardrobe well enough to tell me the exact shirt?”

“Yes,” Rory deadpanned. “I spend my free time in your closet.”

Janine stopped walking. That could honestly be true.

“Of course not, you bozzo! Listen, I’ve got to go. Golden Boy has apparently made us reservations for some elaborate dinner and I requires me to wear something other than jeans. I’ll talk to you soon, Jeanie,” Rory said.

“Yeah,” Janine agreed. “And thanks, Rory. You… actually calmed my nerves.”

“What are cousins for? But seriously, don’t worry too much. You’ll be just fine,” Rory assured her cousin. “And besides, Sid will be there and you already know a bunch of the guys.”

Janine nodded, even though her cousin couldn’t see her. “You’re right. Bye, Roarin’ Rory.”

Her cousin groaned. “Good bye, Janine.”

****

Twenty minutes away, Kris sat on his couch flipping through different t.v. channels. Catching a glimpse of a familiar face, Kris stopped. Audrey Hepburn’s face played across the screen and Kris looked to see what movie it was.

He was sure he had seen Sabrina amongst the many movies in Janine’s apartment. Deciding that it might be interesting, he settled in to watch. At the very least, it would give him something to talk to Janine about.

But his mind kept wandering. He thought about how cute she had looked coming into the kitchen and out of the cold. Her ponytail had been falling out and there was a light dusting of snow on her loose sweater. He tried to not think about how good she had looked in the leggings she wore and about her bare legs at the New Year’s party. He thought about the way her nose scrunched up and how her eyes sparkled almost all the time.

He thought about how similar they were. They had both lost someone so close to them. She had said Ryan’s and her birthdays were coming up the following month. So was Luc’s. He wondered when.

Grabbing his cellphone off the table, Kris shot a text to Sidney.

To Sidney: Out of curiosity, when’s Janine’s and Ryan’s birthdays?

It took a little while to get a reply, but when he did, Kris’s eyes almost popped out of his skull.

From Sidney: February 16th. Why do you ask?

To Sidney: No real reason. It’s just that that’s Luc’s birthday.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so I didn't get 5 comments. But I got 4, so I decided to update sooner than I thought I would. And just to be clear, I'm not totally sure if my little 'surprise' will be a surprise for you all when I do post it. But I thought they were good _____ (fill in the blanks with your own ideas for now.). So I've had the idea for a Chicago Blackhawks story! But I'm not sure if I want it to be Kane or Toews centered. I'd like your input pretty please! Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!