‹ Prequel: Fix Me

Ever After

Awake

Coming out of a coma to a room that’s brightened by fluorescents isn’t the most aesthetically pleasing thing and it certainly hurts the eyes. But as Kali peered through half-open eyes around the unfamiliar white room, she found something that did more than please her. It awakened her completely and brought a smile to her face.

Josh’s hand was still placed in hers and his head was buried in his free arm on the side of Kali’s hospital bed. He was snoring lightly and his hair was all over the place. Kali chuckled weakly and squeezed his hand as much as she could. Slowly, Josh groaned and his head moved. He gently looked up, blinking sleep out of his eyes. But when his bright blues met Kali’s dark greens, sleep was no longer a concern. His eyes got wide and he sat up straight, staring in shock at his wife, who was looking at him with tired amusement.

“Am I dreaming?” Josh whispered.

Kali slowly shook her head. “No, baby, you’re awake…we’re both awake.”

“Oh my god…” Josh gasped and leaned over to kiss his wife’s face. “You’re awake…oh, Kali, you’re awake!”

Kali laughed. “Yes, I am.”

“How do you feel? Are you okay?”

“I feel sore and a little confused, but mostly I really have to pee.” Kali bit her bottom lip.

“I’ll get a nurse for you.” Josh ran out the door, nearly slipping on the tile floor before he got there, and started calling for help.

“Mr. Ramsay? What’s the problem?” A shocked nurse asked when she arrived in the doorway.

“My wife is awake!” Josh exclaimed, pointing at Kali. “And she has to pee!”

Kali laughed from her bed as the nurse chuckled and walked over to her.

“Good to see you, Mrs. Ramsay,” she smirked. “You have a catheter installed, you can go to the bathroom anytime you like.”

Kali furrowed her brow. “Ah…I think now that I’m conscious I’d prefer going to the actual bathroom…”

The nurse smiled. “Of course. Let’s get you out of this bed, shall we?”

“That’d be perfect.”

The nurse helped Kali get out of the bed and brought the IV stand around to get to the bathroom. Josh stood close by, his hands hovering uselessly around Kali while the nurse continuously shooed him away. He waited impatiently outside the bathroom door for Kali to come back out. When she did, he managed to at least hold her hand while the nurse got her in a wheelchair.

“I figure you’d like to be somewhat mobile after lying in that bed for how long now,” the nurse smiled. “I’ll have the doctor come in just to check on you and then your husband can wheel you around, alright?”

“That sounds great, thank you.” Kali smiled graciously at the nurse as she bustled out of the room.

Josh kneeled down in front of his wife, searching her for any signs of distress.

“How do you feel now? Is there anything I can do? Do you want a shoulder massage? I can grab you a piece of pie from the cafeteria if you want…” he said quickly.

Kali smiled at him. “You can kiss me, you fool,” she murmured. “That’d make everything better.”

Josh grinned crookedly and kissed her over and over. He held her face between his hands while tears swallowed up his eyes and he bit his lip to keep them at bay.

“I’m so sorry, baby,” he whispered. “I’m so sorry…”

“Joshua Keeler Ramsay don’t you dare apologize to me,” Kali said softly, putting her hands protectively over his own. “I won’t accept it. I love you.”

Josh smiled as a single tear escaped his grasp. “I love you too.”

“You do look a mess though, Josh Ramsay,” Kali lightly ran her fingers through his growing facial hair.

“I haven’t left your side,” Josh murmured, a little embarrassed. “I’ve been here 24/7.”

Kali laughed gently. “Oh, baby…”

The doctor separated them for a minute before he could give Kali the once-over and the a-okay to go explore. She had to stay another day for further testing but she was otherwise completely stable and relatively healed up.

“Hey, Kali,” Josh offered after the doctor left, “do you want me to take you to see our daughter?”

Kali’s eyes widened and her mouth went slack. Instinctively, a hand dropped to her belly and her expression only became more shocked. Without a word she gave him a teary nod and an excited smile.

Josh grinned and wheeled her down to the NICU, where he put the soap and sanitizer in her hands before pushing her down to where Avery was resting. He’d filled Kali in on all the basic details already, but when the nurse took Avery out of her basinet and put her in Kali’s arms, Kali still managed to start crying.

“Shh, baby, it’s okay,” Josh knelt down beside her and pointed to Avery. “See? She has your eyes already! And she really likes to be sung to, and she hates soothers, and she’ll stare at you if you rock her back and forth and talk to her. I’ve kind of been visiting her a lot, at least when I haven’t been by your side.”

Kali kissed his head. “You’re a great dad already,” She peered down into the slowly awakening face of her baby girl. “Hi, sweet girl…I’m your mommy. I’m sorry I haven’t been around to see you yet. But I’m here now, and I promise you I will always be here, okay?”

“She knows all about her mommy,” Josh said, pulling down gently on Avery’s blanket. “I’d tell her stories about you and it’d help her fall asleep.”

“Oh, good, I bore her already,” Kali chuckled.

“No, she knows her mommy is the bravest, most kind-hearted, beautiful soul on the planet,” Josh shook his head. “She loves you.”

“Well good. I think I kind of like her, too.” Kali smirked.

Josh beamed at his wife while she cooed happily to their daughter. Even though her hair was a mess and she looked a little weak and bruised he still got the same feeling like when they were in high school. He loved the girl sitting next to him. And when he peered down into the curious green eyes of his daughter he got the same feeling. He vowed to never let anything happen to either of them again. They were all he had in the world, and he’d be damned if he ever came close to losing either of them again.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry it's so short. and i'm also sorry to announce that the next chapter will be the last. so please be sure to comment letting me know what you thought of my two part story with Josh and Kali. :) and if you want more Josh Ramsay stories, check out my newer one Say Anything and subscribe if you like it! :) ALSO, i'm trying out some original fiction on this site, which i've never done before! so pretty please check that out here! Thank you so much!!
rec/comment/subscribe