Blvd of Broken Dreams

Chapter 21: Do You Know What's Worth Fighting For?

"It's time." Adrienne's cold voice kept playing through Christine's head. She was laying motionless on the kitchen floor. Her arms were oozing from the burns and her back was blazing with pain. Adrienne told Billie to go back to his seat and let her squirm on the floor without his help.
Thompson had gotten everything she needed out of Adrienne for proof of the insanity and killers of the Thompson family. The van was on its way with the men. The insane woman turned her back to put the pan back on the stove and to try to find something to tie Christine up with. Christine managed to dig her phone out of her pocket and quickly sent the text to Mike that the van would be approaching. She also told him one last thing: Wait for the gunshot.
Christine barely slid her phone back in time.
Adrienne began to approach her with the steel knife still clutched in her hands. "You made a mess of our kitchen little girl. Lucky for you, Billie doesn't have anything to tie you with. You look so helpless laying like that." The sinister woman delivered a sharp kick to Christine's side and laughed darkly. Thompson yelped as the fresh pain flooded her rib cage. "This is such a delight."
"Adrienne, stop. She's already hurt." Armstrong said as commanding as he could.
"Just one more time." Adrienne happily grinned as she drew back her leg. Christine braced herself for the pain, but it never came. Instead Christine heard a thump and the clatter of something metal hit the floor.She opened her eyes and saw Billie Joe laying on top of Adrienne beside her.
"Billie! I thought you loved me." Adrienne shrieked in disgust. "Why did you tackle me like that?"
"I told you to stop." Billie Joe Armstrong replied.
"And I told you, just one more time." The woman quickly reached behind her and grasped the wicked knife and hurled her arm downward on Billie. Christine's and Billie's eyes widened in horror as it plunged downward. Armstrong tried to block her attack, but he was too slow.
Blood gushed from his right arm. He was wearing a T-shirt so it all ran freely to the floor. Armstrong swore loudly and jumped off of his crazy ex-girlfriend. Christine thawed from being paralyzed by pain and fear and remembered her hidden gun. Thompson tried to reach it but her arms and side screamed with pain.
Christine knew their only chance was that sleek black object concealed in an inside jacket pocket.
Adrienne pushed herself off the floor and made her way towards her 'lover.' Blood dripped down the knife and onto her dark pants. "I'm sorry, but you made me do it. Don't be afraid of me, Billie. I love you." The man with dark hair quickly bolted to the other side of the kitchen table. He wrapped his left hand around the knife wound to help slow the bleeding.
"Adrienne, please put down the knife." Billie Joe softly spoke. It was a last ditch effort to reason with her.
"You know I can't do that. I can't let you leave me." Adrienne cooed. "Come to me now." Billie didn't budge. "God dammit, come to me!" She yelled as she made her way around the small table. The woman screamed and was about to take another swing at Armstrong when a pool of blood blossomed from her chest. Adrienne immediately slummed down to the floor and was silent. A scream still burned through the silence from Christine. She had screamed with Adrienne during her launch at Billie.

Christine fell back to the floor. It took everything she had to move her arms to find the gun and to prop herself up to shoot it correctly. The gun clattered to the floor next to the broken girl. Thompson, before sliding into a sea of darkness, prayed that Mike called an ambulance and that the EMTs would be bursting through the house at any minute.

Armstrong was frozen in place. The gunshot still vibrated from his ears. His entire body felt numb with shock. Adrienne was dead. The Adrienne he used to love. Even though she was insane, a part of him still cared about her. He lowered himself to the ground and gently touched his ex-girlfriend's cold face. Billie Joe knew the shot had been dead on and killed her instantly. He picked up her lifeless hand and intertwined his bloody fingers with hers as a few tears fell down his cheek.
"I'm sorry, Adrienne." He whispered as he lightly kissed her forehead. Billie Joe gently set her arm back to the floor and limped over to Christine's body. His arm felt like someone had lit it on fire but he ignored the pain.
"Oh, Christine. I'm so sorry you got caught up in all of this on top of everything else." He cried. "Please, wake up." Armstrong nudged her shoulders. When she didn't move, he pulled her form into a sitting position against him. "Christine, please, talk to me. Say anything at all. Come one, please." Thicker tears cascaded down his face and onto her head. "I don't want to loose you again. I love you Christine. I love you. Please, don't die." The broken man began to rock both of them back and forth on the hard floor.
"Oh my god." Mike's voice called from far away.
"Holy shit." Tre's voice drifted into the kitchen. Footsteps echoed from the floor. Radios emitted various tones and voices. A pair of hands gently grasped onto Billie Joe's shoulders. "Billie, how is she?" Mike's voice snapped Armstrong from his void of emptiness.
"I don't know." Billie replied. His tone was dead and sounded strange even to him.
"There's a dead body in the corner." A strong male voice said. More footsteps went towards the direction of the corpse. All Armstrong could see was Christine's limp form.
"It's all my fault." Armstrong whispered.
"No, it's not. We really need to get both of you to the emergency room, now. Tyrone and his crew are ready to take you there. Christine needs immediate help." Mike urged. Tre Cool moved from Mike's side and gently picked up Christine out of Armstrong's arms. An EMT assisted Tre as Mike helped Billie stand on his own.
"I can walk to the ambulance, I don't need a stretcher." Billie Joe said hollowly as a medic approached him with a white bed for himself.
"Sir, you are injured and it's protocol that we-"
"I don't give a shit." Billie Joe cut him off and followed the stretcher bearing Christine out of the house. The medic looked pissed as Mike and Tre ran after their friend.
"Blood is pouring outta your arm, man. You should really get that looked at. Christine wouldn't want you hurting yourself like this." Tre told Billie.
"Billie, you're going to make yourself worse. You've already lost too much blood." Mike added sternly. Billie Joe seemed to be deaf to their words. He was a ghost; pale as the moon and as silent as the grave. Blood continued to flow down his right arm and over his tattoos.
"I've had enough of this shit." The medic from inside had followed the band outside. This time when he approached Billie, he came bearing a gift. A syringe filled with a mild sedative. The EMT caught Armstrong as he blacked out and lowered him into his stretcher.

Everything was dark and unfocused. Sounds came from everywhere, but nothing made sense. Billie Joe Armstrong felt a dull ache coming from his arm, but the rest of his body was numb. He slowly blinked his eyes a few more times to try to get the world around him to focus.
"Billie, God, I'm so sorry." Mike's body appeared beside him. Tears were falling from his dark eyes. Tre was standing next to Mike with tears lingering on his face as well.
"Why?" Billie managed to croak.
"The doctors said that Christine's not going to make it." Tre cried. "They said her body took in more stress than what she could handle."
"No! No, she can't die on me dammit!" Billie Joe yelled as he began sobbing as well. "She can't leave me."
"They say she probably has only a few hours left in her. She's been in a coma for the past three days." Mike spoke softy. "Us, Tyrone, and Bryce haven't left her side unless we were with you."
"Three days? You're kidding me right? I haven't been out that long."
"You lost a lot of blood and had a reaction to one of the IVs." Dirnt explained. Billie Joe paled. He didn't want to loose that much time.
"We're going to get you out of your bed and take you to Christine." Tre quickly said. "The nurses are between shift changes so we gotta get you outta here fast."
Billie nodded his head. Mike and Tre carefully helped Billie Joe stand up. Armstrong wasn't hooked up to IVs anymore so they didn't have to worry about it. All they had to do was act as crutches.
Finally the arrived a little down the hallway where Christine's room was. The girl looked so breakable laying on the hospital bed. Her skin was as white as the sheets. White gauze snaked around her head, arms, and torso. Tyrone and his son were sitting in the chairs next to her bed.
"Billie Joe, what the hell are you doing out of your room?" The EMT demanded.
"I just had to see her. What's wrong with her?"
"She had three cracked ribs, a few patches of third degree burns, bruised back, and she slightly fractured the back of her skull." Tyrone said solemnly.
"Can you guys give a few minutes alone with Christine?" Armstrong softly asked.
"Just don't hurt yourself." Tyrone replied. The man and his son rose from there chairs and walked out of the room with the other two members of Green Day.
Billie Joe dropped to his knees beside her coffin. He grasped her freezing hands and split his tears on them.
"Christine, please wake up. Don't leave me. I'm so sorry. This is my fault. I never should have let Adrienne in." Billie cried.
"Don't, blame, yourself." A small female voice said.
"Christine?" Billie couldn't believe it. His spirits soared upward.
"Everything hurts, Billie. I feel like I'm dying." She weakly spoke.
"Don't die, please hold on for me." Billie begged. He slightly rose from the floor and leaned over her body. Armstrong gave her a light kiss on her cheek. Even he could feel her slipping away as they spoke. Christine's vibes were getting weaker.
"I'll try. Just remember, this wasn't your fault. Never blame yourself for this. There's one more thing, I love you. I just wish I could have realized it sooner."
Her words felt like someone stabbed his chest with a knife and twisted the blade around his heart. "Never feel guilty about that, Christine." He leaned over again to kiss her on the lips. She weakly kissed him back.
"At least I can die happy now." Christine whispered, her lips brushing against his.
"Christine, please hold on to life. You can't die right now." Billie said weakly as he pulled away.
"It's funny how I wanted to die not that long ago. I was mad that you saved me, but now I just want to live." Christine lightly laughed at the irony of life.
"You have a reason to live now. You can live with me, forever." Billie said.
"I wish I could." She replied before slipping away.

Several months bled by and Billie Joe was allowed to return back home. His arm had been stitched up with twelve stitches and a permanent scar lingered from his ex-girlfriend. Doug and Stan were now rotting away in prison and Adrienne was six feet under.
Billie Joe still had nightmares about that day in history that haunted his dreams. Every time he looked at his right arm, he felt Adrienne's betrayal slash through him. Billie Joe made a point to burn all the photographs of Adrienne and anything she touched.
The Hoover family and his band members helped him repair his damaged house and to deal with the shock he was experiencing. Someone else had helped him too. A very special person that he'd never let out of his sight.
This person's name was Christine Thompson. She barely pulled out of death's hands and now was recovering in his home. Billie Joe followed her everywhere and always stuck to her side. Armstrong proposed to her and they were going to get married whenever she felt strong enough to walk the aisle. Christine decided instead of having bridesmaids, she'd have bridesmen instead. They were Tre, Mike, and Tyrone. Bryce and Mrs. Hoover were going to walk her down the aisle as her family.
Christine bore many reminders of her battle with Adrienne, scars from the boiling pasta and a dark spot on her back that won't heal. She had nightmares as well but Billie was always there to comfort her.
Armstrong and Thompson have each other now, and that's all they need in life. Christine already forced Green Day to go on tour after they got married and she promised she'd attend every show.
♠ ♠ ♠
What? You didn't really think I'd kill Christine did you? Shame on you. Well now I'll take request for one shots or maybe even ideas for another series. Thanks for reading as always.