Status: Slowly, but surely...

Chasing the Sun

- prologue -

Things change within a blink of an eye.

I’ll be home in about an hour, baby. Don’t bother waiting up for me,” Abbey mumbled into the phone. She tried to stifle back a yawn from escaping, but all attempts were fruitless. She hadn’t slept in almost a week and to say she was exhausted would have been an understatement.

Red Bulls, caffeine pills, and large cups of Kona brand coffee with extra shots of espresso had became daily items in order to prevent herself from crashing from the lack of sleep she had been able to squeeze in, as the deadline for the big marketing pitch for the Pittsburgh Steeler’s new, and revamped locker room, came closer and closer. If she was able to nail this pitch- an event her boss, Mark, had entrusted her to complete solo- she would finally be able to make herself a solid name in the Interior Design world.

Everything relied on the forty-five minutes space bracket that Dan Rooney, the owner of the Steelers, had provided, which would prove whether or not twenty-five year old Abbey McNealy had the guts to prove a name for herself in such a cutthroat business.

“I’ll just lay on the couch and wait up for you,” Tyler spoke softly into the receiver of their home phone. Abbey closed her eyes and let out a barely audible sigh, tapping her rose colored fingernails across her oak desk impatiently.

Tyler, you have practice in the morning. Please don’t wait up. I don’t want to get a call tomorrow morning saying that you fell asleep at the wheel, and you’re at UPMC, please.” Along with not wanting to see him stuck in the ICU, Abbey also didn’t want to deal with the monster asshole that appeared in Tyler when he didn’t get enough sleep at night, this project was enough of a bitch to her.

“I guess,” he sighed, feeling defeated. Abbey smiled into the receiver and balanced it on her shoulder as she began to reboot her computer for the final stretch of the evening, an hour was actually the lie, she needed at least another three to tie up the final loose ends; tomorrow she finally had a day off and would sleep the morning away. A little white lie never hurt anybody, right?

Alright. I need to go now, okay? I’ll let you know when I’m home.” Tyler agreed, and plopped himself down on their couch with a bag of popcorn, he was waiting until she got home whether Abbey liked it or not. Something about her driving around the back roads of Pittsburgh, late at night made him very uneasy.

“I love you,” he said into the phone chewing back a handful of Orville’s popcorn. Abbey didn’t notice and signed onto her computer before hanging up her phone.

Love you too, Ty. I’ll be home soon,” she grinned before hanging up the phone, when she finished up this project she owed him, big time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh, anyways, I've had this profile for a bit now and I've finally decided to post something instead of just reading all of the stories on here. So, be brutal, don't be brutal, creative criticism is wanted, greatly!

Note: This chapter is only short because I wanted to kinda set everything up. For the most part, my chapters won't be this short, so I apologize if it's boring or whatever, it'll get better. Bear with me.

:)