Status: coming back late 2015

Halcyon Days

ich weiß nicht, was soll es bedeuten

"And after what police suspect to be a case of foul play, Buster 'Bud' Wright of Amittai Island is still missing." The reporter paused to lick her brown lips. "Wright was last known to be taking a fishing trip in Lake Joppa as celebration of his fortieth birthday, two days ago."

Hank Harding, Amittai Island's chief of police, surveyed the scene skeptically as the reporter turned to Wright's frantic wife. Her pleas and claims were almost exactly the same as every other one he'd heard ("Bud would never get involved with anything dangerous, he was kind and caring; he never did drugs, he'd never even smoked a cigarette!").

Hank found himself chuckling at the last bit. He was holding a couple of plastic Ziploc bags which held pieces of irrefutable, if somewhat irrelevant, information: an empty box marked MARLBORO, and a lighter running low on fuel. He suspected the cigarettes themselves had been tossed to the bottom of the lake.

"Well," he muttered in his gruff voice, "what these bastards say and do are two different things."

"Hey, Chief," called an officer, "you may want to hear this."

"What is it, lieutenant?" he asked, making his way over to the squad car. He pulled open the door on the driver's side and leaned in, intimidating the younger man with his thick mustache and Clint Eastwood-reminiscent squint.

"The station got a lead and radioed it to us just now," the officer reported. "Said Wright's baseball cap was found floating two-point-five miles out from the shoreline in the Atlantic, and--"

"What?" Hank interrupted. "People -- people don't just vanish from a boat into thin air one day and turn up in the ocean the next! That's impossible!"

The lieutenant's expression darkened. "Improbable, maybe, but not impossible," he said quietly. "Now I'm not a churchgoing man, but there's something else, Chief. They also said that the cause of Wright's disappearance..." He trailed off.

"What are you getting at, kid?" Hank's eyes narrowed even more. "Spit it out."

The officer turned red and stammered out, "They -- they don't think that whatever-it-was ... well, they don't think it was entirely human."
♠ ♠ ♠
i know not if there is a reason

re-uploading this because IT'S COMING BACK GUYS plus i changed a couple of details
i update faster on wattpad