Status: Comments mysteriously lead to more frequent, longer updates. Who'da thought?

These Are the Dark Days

Un

To the best of his knowledge Frank is, and always has been, human. Around the age of five, he was found by a young human couple, James and Eve. The two tried and failed to have their own child and so they took Frank in and treated him as family.

Years later, Frank lived the normal American life, he went to school, had a job as a bag boy at the local supermarket, and grudgingly did chores around the house.

Frank's hometown in Jersey was also the Vampire capitol of the United States. The palace, in fact, was two bus stops away from his small apartment building. Each day as went to and from school and work, Frank gazed in awe at the gothic palace with its looming towers and fierce gargoyles.

Frank, being the smart boy he was, knew never to bother the vampires whom he passed on a daily bases. He kept his head down and never spoke a word to them.

On the outside, Frank looked tough. Contrary to his stort stature, his dark clothing and lack of manners convinced the older generations that he was a menace to society. This strong facade faded when in the presence of a vampire.

While the other race stuck fear into Frank's heart, he was also fascinated by them. Would they not kill him, he would love to sit down with one over coffee to discuss their lifestyle.

Everyday, he watched the royal palace as he rode by on the bus. He saw the king who he dared not to look at for to long, fearing he would feel Frank's gaze and attack. He watched the eerily kind faced queen who dressed in long luxurious robes. He stifled laughter as the younger son tripped over nothing and dropped what looked to Frank to be comic books.

Frank's favorite part of spying on the royal family? The eldest son, the crown prince Gerard.

Gerard was tall and lean. His pale skin seemed to glow in the pale light that illuminated their home. His dark raven black hair swept over his eyes, only to be pushed back in a huff by the prince.

Gerard was the only vampire who did not seem to scare Frank. This was strange because Gerard was the most feared vampire in a 300 mile radius. Gerard was more feared than his own father, a feat that brought a smile to the king's sullen face.

When Frank looked at Gerard, he felt like there was a warm cloud inside of his stomach, expanding to the rest of his body. He felt safe in the prince's presence, even if it was only on rare occasions that he saw the lanky boy.

~***~

Frank was on his way home after a long day of work and school as he passed the castle. Out of habit he looked to the doors and windows, hoping to get a glimpse of the family. He saw Gerard in what Frank believed was the prince's bedroom.

The streetlight changed suddenly and Frank's bus screeched to a halt. Startled by the noise, Gerard looked out his own window to see a small pale boy staring back from a crowded bus.

Gerard was then overcome by a feeling that had been felt many times by Frank. The warm cloud. Frank felt it too, but this time was different. Instead of the cloud slowly expanding, the two boys felt as if their insides were exploding.

His intrest peaked, Gerard stepped closer to the window, his brow furrowed. Just as he begun to wonder who this boy could be, the bus pulled away, leaving Gerard confused and Frank stunned.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not quite sure what point of view I want to continue in.

Feedback would be much appreciated!

xxoo