Status: Comments mysteriously lead to more frequent, longer updates. Who'da thought?

These Are the Dark Days

Dix-Sept

Gerard leaned his head head against the high back of his chair and closed his eyes, he was slowly losing his patience. “Little one.” He warned as Frank was carried past on his brother’s shoulders, squealing like toddler. “We need to go now, Frankie.” His tone was serious.

Olivia smiled at Gerard, amused at his distress. “Don’t bother, Gerard, these two were inseparable up until the day we lost Frankie. You just have to wait until Henry gets tired of carrying him or Frank takes a tumble.”

It was at that moment that Henry dropped a giggling Frank onto the couch and left the room, making his way to the refrigerator. Gerard walked over to Frank and picked him up bridal style. “We really do have to go now.” He let Frank wave goodbye to each family member before carrying him out to the car.

It had been about a week since Frank’s family came back with them to the east coast. They were living not too far from the castle but far enough as not to draw suspicion from the prying eyes of uncles.

Frank saw his family every day. They came to him just as often as he and Gerard went to them. When they were apart, Frank was in constant communication with his brother through text.

They were driving back to the castle as Frank typed away in the passenger seat. Sighing, Gerard reached over and took the phone from his mate’s small hands. Frank looked up at him with big eyes but Gerard just smiled apologetically. “I never get you to myself anymore. I’m sure Henry will survive one afternoon without your constant badgering.”

Frank looked up in mock shock but Gerard just rolled his eyes and continued driving. Once home, Frank grabbed Gerard's hand as they walked inside and pulled him close, it will not long until they fell on the couch in a fit of laughter.

They were interrupted by a loud cough and looked up to see the king standing in the doorway. "Gerard," he sounded as if something was wrong, "I need to speak with you. Now."

Gerard sighed and gave Frank a quick kiss on the cheek before he stood up and left the room, leaving Frank to his own devises.

~***~

"I have heard, son, that Frank's uncle has heard that the Iero family has come under my protection." The two men were sitting in the king's office, solemn expressions on both faces. "I don't know how he found out, no one outside the two families know. He must have had spies in their town back in Minnesota and they alerted him of your arrival and their departure from town."

"My top priority," Gerard started, "is Frank's safety. I know you have promised to protect his whole family but he is mine to take care of."

"I understand that, son, but I do not believe Frank to be in danger. You are his mate and Gavin would have to have a death with to go after him. He knows that a war would be started over the crown prince's mate and that he could not sustain battle against us."

Gerard was slightly comforted by his father's words but he still wished to be by Frank's side, to watch him and protect him. He and his father, however, were not done, so this would have to wait. "What about the Iero family?"

"I will place more trusted agents around their home but they have to strong doms in the house so I am not foreseeing any issues. I think Gavin is just trying to show his brother that he still has the power. This is all basically a flex of him military muscles."

"What if war breaks out?" Gerard knew he would have to fight but he did not want to. He wanted to take Frank and go very far away. But this was the coward's way out. He must stick with his family and protect the country he will one day rule.

"Then we crush Gavin's rule and put Ryan back on the Italian throne. From what I hear, the people of Italy are not pleased with their current ruling and would not protest to a change of power if this change were back to Ryan. They always liked him, he took good care of his people."

Gerard nodded and stood up. "I am going to tell Frank, he needs to know what is happening in his family."

"I'm sorry, Gerard, but that will have to wait." The king stood up and took Gerard by the elbow, "You have to come with me and begin planning. Frank is in the house, he will be protected. Besides, I hear his brother at the door with him now, he will be okay, the war has not broken out yet."

~***~

Frank had been sitting on the couch flipping through the TV channels when the doorbell rang and his brother entered. "Hey, Frankie boy!" Henry smiled at him and took the place next to his younger brother.

After a few moments, he turned to Frank, leaning on one elbow. "Frank, there is nothing on TV. I'm bored." Frank had settled on a reality dating show but it was not interesting enough to hold Henry's attention for long.

Giggling, Frank responded, "Then why did you come over here? I'm sure there is a lot to do back at your place."

"I wanted to see my brother! Is that a crime now? Has Gerard forbade you from seeing me?" He teased, poking Frank in the side to hear him yelp in surprise.

"Well, actually he has said that he wants a day with me without you constantly texting me or calling. He is just talking to his father right now, I was told to wait here." Frank looked up the the door the two Ways had disappeared behind, waiting for Gerard to come out.

"Oh come on, is the big bad dom afraid of another dom talking to his mate? Even when the dom is his brother? That's a little strange, Frankie." Frank rolled his eyes at his brother's comment.

"You know he just wants to spend some time with me, you would understand if you had a mate." Henry did not respond, he just turned his attention back to the TV. This did not last for long.

"Why don't we go for a walk?" Henry saw Frank was about to deny the offer so he kept talking, "No come on Frankie, Gerard is not even here right now, you and I could take a quick walk, spend some brotherly time together, and then be back before he comes downstairs. Then I will leave you alone for the rest of the day, hell, I'll even leave you alone tomorrow!"

Frank thought about this, he could sit here with Henry complaining and watching shit TV or he could talk a walk and get rid of him for a little while. Deciding the latter was the better choice, he stood up and ushered Henry out the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack!

My exams are over and I have moved (hence the long wait for the new chapter) but I am back and ready to write!

Comments are always welcomed, recommendations are always loved!