Status: Comments mysteriously lead to more frequent, longer updates. Who'da thought?

These Are the Dark Days

Deux

Frank sunk down into the rounded plastic of the bus seat. He shut his eyes as tight as he could, the constant drone of the other people on the bus gave way to a steady thump in his ears. His heart was beating so quickly he could hear it in his ears, he could feel it in his chest, about to explode out of him.

When Frank opened his eyes, he was dismayed to see that he had missed his stop. He was four stops past his apartment. He sighed, this meant he had to walk home. He stepped off the bus, receiving a slight grunt from the driver.

He hated this part of town. It was, quite possibly, the worst area in the city. Every corner was home to another hooker who leered as the small boy walked by, his head down, hands in his pockets, trying to disappear.

He hated this part of town, he never felt safe.

~***~

Gerard, after the small explosion in his chest, had slowly moved from his window to the soft chair in the corner, his mind still in a haze.

Out of nowhere, Gerard felt a sharp pain in his chest. Were he imortal, he would probably fear it were a heart attack. Gerard waited for the pain to subside, but it did not.

Not even knowing what he was doing, Gerard began to walk. Once downstairs, he grabbed the battered jacket by the door and ignored his mother's calls as he made his way out the door.

Being not only blessed with long legs but also a vampire, it was not long before Gerard was past the stout apartment buildings who's shade sheltered a worried couple, calling out for their lost son.

Gerard didn't know were he was going, he just kept walking. He knew there was somewhere he had to be that was so important that his heart ached, he just wasn't quite sure where it was or what could be so important to take him from his comfortable home to this damned part of Jersey.

A few blocks North of were Gerard stood, a small group had assembled. He circled the small cluster only to hear their jeers towards the small figure in the center. The pain in Gerard's chest escalated instantly. His anger was uncontrollable and he didn't know why.

A low growl escaped Gerard's lips, catching the attention of a few of the crowd's members. The scantily dressed women smiled at Gerard, thinking he would pay good money for their services.

Gerard smiled back. But it was not the same welcoming smile that dawned the woman's faces, it was a smile that graced his smooth face whenever he anticipated a blood bath.

Gerard began to growl as he tore head from body of the unsuspecting victims that taunted the boy within the circle. Within minutes, the crowd had been replaced with a pile of blood and gore, the remnants of those who had once scrapped the bottom of the barrel, the worst the city had to offer. Gerard considered this a public service.

His attention was quickly drawn once again to the boy. As he drew closer, the once agonizing pain in his chest was replaced by the warm embrace that had confused him in his room.

The boy had been knocked unconscious so Gerard carefully turned him over so the small boy's back rested on Gerard's bent knees.

"Oh, little one" Gerard whispered as he held the boy who he had seen earlier on the bus. The human boy.