Status: Comments mysteriously lead to more frequent, longer updates. Who'da thought?

These Are the Dark Days

Trois

Frank awoke in a dark room, every inch of his being ached. He laid on his back, waiting for his eyes to adjust to the dim light of the room. He seemed to be in a motel, and a sleazy one at that, one of those places that charge by the hour.

Frank heard a soft clank as a key was inserted into the door from the other side. He laid his head back onto the pillow, squeezing his eyes shut as tightly as he could. He focused on his breathing. In and out, in and out.

A dark figure entered the room, camouflaged in the shadow of the door frame. The stranger approached Frank but stayed in the shadow. A greasy brown papper bag was tossed onto the bed. Frank reached for it to examine its occupants. A cheeseburger and some slightly cold french fries.

"I'm a vegetarian." Whispered Frank so quietly that he barley heard himself say it. This was not the case for the stranger, who stepped forward into the light.

There stood Gerard Way, crown prince, heir to pretty much anything he wanted. Gerard, now standing at the corner of the bed were Frank sat, took the sandwich from Frank and peeled the patty from the bun. Gerard discarded the grey meat into the wastebasket a few feet away. He reconstructed the now cheese and mustard sandwich and handed it to Frank.

Frank could have sworn he saw a slightly hopeful look in the prince's eyes.

"What's your name?" Questioned Gerard as Frank took a bite from his sandwich.

"F-Frank Iero, sir..." Stuttered Frank "I-I mean your highness."

Gerard smiled sadly at the boy's apparent fear. "Do you understand what's happening, Frank?" Gerard asked gently. Frank shook his head, fearing this was the wrong answer that would lead to his demise.

"My grandmother," explained Gerard " once told me about what it's like to meet one's mate. The instant attraction to another being, wanting to be with them forever, to protect them from everything."

Frank listened, not sure entirely where this was going, or what it would mean for him.

"Now, every instance of mating I've ever heard of has happened between two vampires. Never with a human or a human who has been changed. To come right out with it, Frank, we've mated. It's going to cause problem after problem, it will lead to fights and possibly expulsion from my family."

"I'm sorry." Frank's small voice interrupted the larger male. Frank looked like a puppy being scolded for peeing on a carpet.

Gerard's heart shattered.

"No, Frankie," Frank looked up at the use of a nickname, Gerard sat down on the bed next to his small mate "Never ever be sorry. We're lucky, we've got each other."

Frank smiled slightly as the two of them sat on the bed, munching on Frank's fries, saying nothing.

~***~

Gerard woke up with a start, probably just a bad dream, he mused. Vampires can't dream but it's an ongoing joke in their community.

Gerard stretched his arm across the bed, expecting to feel the warm skin of his human mate. The bed was empty. Gerard shot up and ran to the bathroom, tearing back the shower curtain, calling Frank's name.

The motel room now had every light on, lighting up the sad room for the first time.

Gerard began to panic as he saw a small note on the television cabinet. He heart sank as he read Frank's small, neat handwriting.

I can't do this.
♠ ♠ ♠
Whoa, cliff hanger!
Also the third post of the day, but don't expect this pace to be kept up, but I'll try!

Comments mysteriously lead to updates. You should be a regular mythbuster and test this theory.