Status: new story, I'm busy with college so I'm not sure how updates will be

The Art of Drowning

Chapter 3

Looking out the window, desperately trying to keep a tortured mind blank.

Chewing a lip raw, digging blunt nails into dirty, scarred palms, studying the grimy buildings flashing by with soul carving intensity.

He's trying so hard to fill his head with the physical pain, the pollution, and the deteriorating buildings, burn out any unwanted thoughts with useless, meaningless, safe, images.

Movement, flashing in his peripheral vision, different from the sluggish shuffle of the only other people who wander the dangerous city streets at night, more flighty, unsure but purposeful.

He doesn't want to look, almost knows what he'll see if he does, but still he turns.

A small, scrawny boy, all bones and knocked knees, large, scared eyes behind rectangle glasses.

The boy's running after him, screaming words he can't hear.

The look on the child's face grows more panicked as he falls farther behind, tears escaping as he falls to his knee's defeated, tiny chest heaving.

In the car, the beast cries too, aches for the child, empathizes with his agony in a way unfathomable.

Even in knowing the boy was never there, never chasing him or calling him back, it still hurt, stuck like a thorn driven deep into the lungs and heart.

Eye's squeezed shut, hiding the lonely and heartbroken boy from sight, but he can't block out the scenes flashing behind his eyelids, replaying over and over, driving the thorns deeper.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry the chapters haven't been getting any longer, I'm hoping in a week or so I'll be able to update more often so it won't matter. Thank you to all who commented and rec'd :3

Rikkii__
Beavis
The_soul_reaper
OnMyOwn.