Holes 2

Chapter 4

Cat found herself under the roof of the Warden Walker. The fiery red head was putting a shy pink nail polish on the young girl's nails. The two of them were silent put Cat was studying the Warden as well as she could. Either the Warden was trying to be silent but deadly or she felt all alone in the universe.

"How do you like Camp Green Lake, Catrina?" She was careful to not get any paint on her skin.

"It's hard work. Good hard work though. Everyone is really nice."

The Warden stopped painting and looked at Cat. "You don't need to lie to me. Digging holes is a shitty job. Boys here aren't nice unless they want something. Has anyone been generous?"

"Excuse me? I'm afraid I don't understand the question." She bit her lip and tried to read her lips.

The Warden looked into Cat's soul and held up the bottle. "Do you know what this is made out of, sweet girl?"

Cat shook her head but couldn't help herself from wanting to know now. This was a good cop, bad cop routine.

"Venom of a snake. It's completely harmless if it's dry." Before it could spill on Cat's hand, she forced her hand away and the warden set the bottle down. "It's a beautiful colour on you."

The best idea at the time seemed to be to run away but Cat felt she knew better. There wasn't life within a hundred miles. "Thank you."

The Warden finished up Cat's nails and put the cap on the bottle. "Promise me something, Catrina. You won't let any of the boys dig your holes and you will not get too close to any of them. Boys are rats and only care for one thing. They all want to get laid."

Mr. Sir walked into the cabin without a knock. He just kept on talking a million miles a moment. "Those boys stole my smokes. Those boys from D tent. I think those boys need a real talking to. I have a fear tactic that will work wonders on them. I'm sure of that." He chuckled proudly.

The Warden walked over to him with a stone cold look on her face. "Is that so?"

"If they're able to steal sandwiches and cigarettes, what else do you think they can steal?"

Mr. Sir gave her a serious look and whispered to her. "Absolutely anything they so please, Warden."

"You disgust me. Whether you smoke or not, you are a waste." She pushed him out the door so he collapsed onto the hot dirt.

The actions of the Warden were terrifying. She could sense a great darkness in her heart but she could still relate to her on a personal level. Her friends back at home were just that terrible. They all expected sex from her. "That's what they all want." She put her head down and tried not to think about X-Ray.

"Smart girl. Now, don't touch anything until it's dry. We wouldn't want someone to get injured here. It takes a good 15 minutes."

"Can I ask you how you got this polish? It seems like a dangerous task."

"Oh, it definitely is dangerous. These snakes are vicious. They strike when you least expect them too. You have to catch them while they're sleeping."

Cat smiled lightly. "Sounds like most of the boys back home. They're all full of malicious intent. They plant poison into other people's lives."

Warden pursed her lips. "You should get back to your tent, Catrina. I'll see you tomorrow."

When Cat stood up, she looked at the Warden. "Did you want this to become a daily occurrence?"

Walker smiled. "Of course it is. I've never had the chance to have some girl time."

Cat walked out of the cabin and looked at her nails. The setting sun was making the polish iridescent.

There was a slight chance that she would go to sleep after the long day but decided her paranoia of the poisonous nail polish was worse and decided to go to the lounge area. Upon entering, there was yelling and some boys were playing pool. Squid was one of those boys playing and she secretly hoped he would win the game.

She sat down beside Twitch without thinking twice about it. The young boy looked at her. "You were with the Warden. Weren't you? That bitch is scary as fuck. I hear that she has this poisonous nail polish and she kills people that she doesn't like with it. That bitch is psycho." He twitched and smiled.

"You shouldn't talk like that, Twitch." She saw him keep on making strange movements. "Do you have a name I can call you?"

"Yeah, Twitch. I like that name."

"Don't you kind of find it offensive? I mean, you. . ." She didn't know what to say to this and she was almost happy to find one of the pool balls come rolling and hitting her foot lightly.

When she looked up, it was none other but Squid with the stick angled like he just played his turn. "You want to hand that ball back?"

"I'm not the one who missed and tossed it over the side, Squid."

"Touche." He walked over to her and was almost at the ball when X-Ray rushed over.

The nerdy looking boy who had dug her a hole only to expect something in return, kneeled in front of her and looked up into her eyes as he got the ball. "Don't worry, Squid. I have this."

Cat couldn't bare looking at X-Ray. She tilted her head to the side and crossed her legs. "Keep away from me from now until you die." A part of her wanted to wipe those wet nails of hers across his face and Knick him.

Twitch looked between the three of them and saw Squid tense. There was something wrong and they knew it. "Mr. Sir has Twinkies in his tent and I think we should get them tonight."

"Not tonight, Twitch." Squid looked at him and held his stick out beside him.

Cat got up, shaking ever so slightly and took Squid's stick from him and placed the ball on the table.

One of the boys frowned as she got into position to play. "Squid just went. It's my turn now. You couldn't get it anyways."

"Too bad, buttercup. You all think I'm a joke. Don't you?" She took a deep breath. "Well, I'm going to prove you all wrong."

Cat got into position and pushed the white ball, causing it to miss every ball that was on the table. Her face grew dim and her eyes closed in embarrassment.

It was too much for the boys to hold back. X-Ray laughed and clapped his hands. "My philosopher. Good job."

Cat knew that tears were coming. X-Ray was no different than the boys she had known back at home. "X-Ray, you're not worth my breath."

Zigzag came up to her and messed up her hair. "Come on, Cat. Story time with Doctor Pendanski."

All the boys were heading out of the cabin but Cat kept her head down and closed her eyes, waiting for them all to pass her. "I'll be there in a minute. Don't wait up for me. Tell him I just had some lady problems." She gave him a soft smile but couldn't keep up with her own lies.

"Suit yourself. If one of them yellow spotted lizards get you when you get back, don't move." With a swipe of his feet on the ground, he was halfway out the door and Cat was alone.

Cat took a deep breath and looked at her choices on the pool table. No matter what, she was going to get this and she wouldn't look like a fool next time she was in front of the boys. With a push of the stick, she hit a ball but it didn't go anywhere near where she needed it to.

"You're thinking too hard." The voice was heavy and husky and all too recognizable for Cat not to know that it was Squid's voice.

After nibbling on her lip, she looked over at him. "I'm not thinking too hard!" She said exasperated.

Squid keep his eyes on her after getting a stick for himself and took his turn to show her how it was done and a ball went into the net. "Go on."

Cat tried again but failed just as she did with the other times she had tried.

"Your form sucks. Imagine the point of the stick is pulling out a line to the ball and the ball to the cup." Suddenly, Squid was behind her with his arms around her and guiding her. "Hold your hand in a 90 degree angle."

His voice was her drug the more she heard it and she leaned a bit further into him but played and much to her amazement, the ball went in. When she looked behind her to see him, his face was right beside her only inches away. A blush appeared on her cheeks and tried to avoid him finding out by looking down and letting her hair fall to the sides of her cheeks. "Thank you." She coughed to ignore just how strange she felt about this.

A large part of her felt like she was cheating on Gordie. He was the one that she was crazy for and yet, she wanted a taste of this boy who was just inches away. Before she could think about kissing him, she backed away. "You should go back to the tent before you get into trouble."

"And you don't think you'll get into trouble?"

"I can handle myself, Sushi." She joked with him trying to act like she was cool about this whole situation.

"You're not the only one who's tough at this camp." A smile appeared on his face and he pushed his black hair back. "I can handle myself too." He said this with a teasing air and walked out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Like it? Comment and subscribe. I am determined to finish this story!