Sacrifices

Chapter 6

Livia woke up groggy. She didn't get much sleep. She was too busy thinking about what happened at the rink last night. She couldn't believe Tyler kissed her. She had so many mixed emotions about it. Deep down she knew she really liked Tyler, a lot. The kiss had blown her away. But she has seen countless girls hang around the rink and get their hearts broken by hockey players. She herself had fallen into that trap before. She has heard horror stories in the skating community about players cheating on their wives and leaving them for younger women. Tyler was a young, up and coming star, and very attractive. There are so many girls he could be with. She wasn't really sure what Tyler even wanted. She wasn't really sure what she wanted. But she knew she didn't want to get her heart broken. That had happened once before and it was too much to deal with. Maybe they were just better off as friends. Maybe she would stop this before it even started and tell him that she had to focus on Nationals. She got dressed and grabbed an apple on her way out the door. She was coaching all morning and then had practice right after. Tyler had texted her information for the party tonight. She knew it was going to be a strange night. She had never gone to a Bruins event as someone’s date. Livia had always gone as an ice girl and there was always an obligation she had to fulfill. And she wasn’t going as anyone’s date; she agreed to be Tyler’s. She was starting to get a headache.

Coaching went by pretty fast. She always enjoyed teaching the kids something she loved. The look on their faces when they finally landed that move they had been working so hard on reminded her of how she used to be. Maybe if the path she chose didn’t work out she could continue on as a coach. She went to the café by the rink for lunch before her coach showed up. She sat in the corner eating her food and reading, trying to clear her mind. She was starting to freak out about tonight. She wasn’t sure how to act around Tyler. Her phone vibrated in her pocket. She took it out and looked at it, it was Tyler. He said he would pick her up at 7:30 and that he was excited to see her tonight. Livia put her head in her hands. She didn’t know what to do. Part of her was just as excited as Tyler; the other half was worried.

She finished her lunch and headed back over to meet her coach. They worked on a new routine. Everything they were working on was harder than anything she had done before. The reason they worked so hard was because Livia was behind all the other skaters trying out for Nationals. Most of them were sixteen and seventeen and had already tried out before. Livia was nineteen. She should be more advanced in her career then she was. She was basically unknown in the sport. Livia had debated back and forth for a while if she should even enter Nationals. Her family wasn’t supportive and she didn’t have a lot of money. When she first met her coach, He told her that if she worked hard enough he would help her get to The Olympics. He saw that she was great and believed in her. She enjoyed the challenge but it wore her out.

She got to her apartment at six o’clock and jumped in the shower. Livia looked through her dresses and finally decided on a black sequined, long sleeved, mini dress. She liked the dress because the front was very modest but when she turned around it was backless. She did her makeup and curled her hair. Just as she was putting on her high heels, Tyler knocked at her door. He had never been to her apartment before. Thankfully she kept things neat. He lived fifteen minutes away from her in a much nicer apartment complex. Livia took a deep breath and headed towards the door and opened it. Tyler stood there in an all-black tuxedo, looking very handsome, holding a single red rose. She blushed and hugged him hello. He stood at the door, looked her up and down, and smirked. “What!” she huffed at him. She wondered why he was looking at her like that. “Nothing. You look beautiful.” Was his response. She didn’t realize how awkward it was actually going to be. She thanked him and grabbed her clutch and they drove to the event in silence.

The Casino Night was being held at a night club. They walked in and there were two big rooms. One room had blackjack, poker tables and other games set up. And the other room had a bunch of tables and a dance floor with a live band. It was pretty extravagant. They walked into the room with the band and found their table. Tyler introduced her to the players they were sitting with. Despite working at TD Garden for over a year, Livia had only ever met the coaches of the team. Tyler and Livia were sitting with Brad Marchand, whom Tyler had become very close with, his date and Adam McQuaid. They were both very funny and had the whole table laughing. Livia sat next to Brad’s date Emily and they chatted for a while. Tyler and her still really didn’t talk too much. There was a bottle of wine at the table, which they had been drinking from all night. She hadn’t eaten much that day so she was already feeling the effects.

Tyler came back to the table with two light pink drinks and he set one down in front of her. She made a face at him and he smirked “Some guy just bought them for me, I have no idea what’s in them.” He said. “Are you trying to get me drunk Tyler Seguin?” she asked playfully. “No. definitely not Livia Scott! Want to go for a walk?” he asked her. She shook her head and they got up and walked around. They went into the other room where everyone was gambling. People were yelling and high fiving at a poker table. The atmosphere was crazy. “This is very cool.” Livia commented. “Is this even legal?” she asked Tyler. He thought for a moment then answered. “I’m not really sure.” She laughed at him. “Don’t you want to play anything? Blackjack?” she asked him. Most of his teammates where at the tables. “Not really my thing.” He responded. She could tell something was up with him. He was quiet. “What’s wrong?” she finally asked him. “You always have a good time when you hang out with your teammates.” He was silent for a while and did not answer her right away. Finally he replied. “I’d rather hang out with you.”

Livia didn’t know what to say to him. He didn’t seem like himself. Things were a little weird between them but she didn’t do anything she could think of that would put him in this mood. She didn’t like seeing him like this. Instead of replying to him she moved closer to his side and grabbed his hand. She took his hand into hers and laced their fingers together. Tyler looked down at her to see what she was doing. He was caught off guard by the gesture. For a moment she thought he would move his hand away. But he didn’t. They walked around the rest of the room silent, still holding hands.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry guys! Back to School got the better of me! I was headed back myself and I actually work at a store that sells school supplies so I dropped the ball a bit. But I'M BACK, and I'm promising some drama coming! Woop Woop! Hope everyone made it back to school in one piece!! : )