Sacrifices

Chapter 7

After dinner, the drinks continued to come one after the other. Tyler and Livia were both feeling the effects of their cocktails. The awkwardness had dissipated between them and they were joking around like they usually did. Tyler was introducing Livia to all the players and their wives and girlfriends. She knew all the players by name, but had never formally been introduced to them. Everyone she had met so far had been so welcoming and they were all funny.

Livia was talking to Patrice Bergeron’s girlfriend when she heard someone scream her name from behind her. Livia turned around startled. Tyler was talking to Patrice and they both turned to see who was screaming. “OH MY GOSH LIVIA?” the girl said as she ran up to the group. “Brittany?” Livia responded in shock. “Aaaah! What are you doing here?” Livia ran to meet her and they hugged each other tightly. Tyler had a confused look on his face. “What do you mean what I am I doing here! What are you doing here? How are you?” Brittany asked. “I’m great! How are you? It’s been so long. I’m here with my friend, Tyler.” Livia told her. She had to pause before she said the word friend. A chill went up the back of her neck just thinking about it. “I’m here with my boyfriend, Milan.” Brittany explained. “Lucic?” Livia asked, knowing full well the answer to the question. “Yes. Wait. I’m a little confused.” Brittany said. “I am too!” Livia responded.

Brittany was one of the first people Livia became friends with when she moved to Boston. They met at a dance studio. Livia took a lot of dance classes. She loved to dance and it helped with her skating. They became very good friends and hung out together every night. They had lost touch over a year ago when Brittany had to head back to her home in New York for a while to help take care of her younger sister while her mom worked. Livia hadn’t known Brittany was back in town. Tyler walked over to the both of them. “How do you know Brittany?” He asked Livia. “Oh Seguin is your Tyler?” Brittany finally realized. It was all making sense now. “Your Tyler?” Tyler whispered in Livia’s ear. She looked up at him. Brittany saw the exchange between them and made a face. “I see.” She said and smirked at Livia. Milan had walked over to the three of them and put his arm around Brittany. Brittany filled him in on everything. Livia had met Milan earlier in the night but he wasn’t with Brittany at the time.

The girls caught up on each other’s lives. Brittany told Livia how she met Milan when she went back home. She was working at a bar in the city and he came in one night. They have been together ever since and she had just moved back to live with him. Livia told her what she had been up to. Brittany knew all about Livia’s goal to go to the Olympics. She didn’t know that her father had cut her off and she had to work a lot. Brittany told Livia she should have called her and told her what was happening. Before Brittany left for New York, they were planning on moving in together. Brittany then asked about Tyler. She knew something was going on. Livia was finally glad to have a friend to talk to about it. They talked a little longer until Tyler and Milan came back over. “Want to dance?” Tyler asked her. She wasn’t sure if dancing with Tyler was the best idea but then she turned and faced him. She found herself nodding her head yes and following him to the dance floor.
The live band was playing soft jazz music. Most of the older couples in attendance were on the dance floor. He was pretty sure they were the youngest. “I’m noticing a pattern here.” Livia said to him, imply how on the first night they met Tyler had asked her to dance. Tyler chuckled. “I just like to dance.” They silently swayed back and forth to the music for a few minutes. He loved dancing with her. “Are you having a good time?” he asked her. “Yes!” she said excitedly. “I can’t believe Brittany is Milan’s girlfriend.” He could see how happy she was that Brittany was back in Boston. “I know. Only in New England!” he chuckled. “Says the boy from Canada!” She muttered sarcastically. “Hey! There’s nothing wrong with Canada.” He quipped. “And I AM a Boston boy now!” He said smiling ear to ear. She laughed.

They continued dancing as another song began. Livia huddled closer to Tyler as they danced. Their relationship was a rollercoaster ride. They had started off the night a little awkward towards one another. Livia had grabbed for his hand earlier and then sometimes she seemed standoffish. He wasn’t sure what to do. “I’m really glad you came with me tonight.” He spoke softly as they danced. He could feel her smiling into his chest. “I’m glad you invited me.” He bit his lip. He couldn’t take it anymore. He had to say something.

“So, I was thinking we should go out on an official date after the game tomorrow.” He blurted out. She lifted her head up to look him in the eye. She was silent for a moment and then responded carefully “Tyler, I really want to, but I don’t know if it is the best idea” “Why’s that?” he asked her. “Well what do you expect the outcome to be? What happens when you find someone better? You’re a professional hockey player, always in the public eye. You could have any girl you want.” She trailed off at the end. It seemed as though she had more to say but couldn’t. He never knew that’s what she thought. He was upset that she would think he would ever do that to anyone, especially her. He was upset that she thought that she wasn’t good enough for him. He took a deep breath in and swallowed. They had stopped moving to the music. “I am not like that. You should know that by now.” He said angrily. He didn’t want to come across mad but he wanted to get his point across. “And the outcome that I would like is for you to be my girlfriend.”

She moved back from his grasp. She looked like she was in shock. He had finally said it. Ever since he met her he knew he wanted more. Tyler had a few girlfriends in high school but none of them where ever serious. He knew he had never cared so much about a girl until Livia. He didn’t care if he could get any girl he wanted, like she said. He wanted her. He grabbed her hand and they moved off the dance floor. He guided them out of the room and into the hallway. No one else was around. He searched her eyes for a response. “Tyler…” She began. “I like you, a lot.” He knew there was a but coming. “But what if we ruin our friendship. And I know you say you don’t want to find someone better, but that’s now. I’ve spent a lot of time around hockey players and I see how they act. It never ends well for the women in their lives.” She finished. He waited to make sure she was done before replying. “You said yourself that you think I’m different than the rest of them. I wouldn’t do that to you. And I don’t want to be just your friend.” As he said it he grabbed her hands in his. She started to become visibly upset. He could see her eyes welling up with tears. “Livia…” he said trying to soothe her. Tyler didn’t want to make her cry. Before he could finish she flung her arms around his neck and kissed him passionately. He felt his back push up against the wall. He kissed her back with everything he had. She broke the kiss suddenly and moved away from him. He moved closer to her and she took a step back, tears were falling softly down her cheeks now. “I can’t.” She whispered and ran off towards the exit.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi all! I hope you like this update! I want to take a moment to thank everyone who has commented on and liked this story! It means a ton! :)