What the Water Gave Me

when I let the water take me.

The air was exceptionally frigid that day, sending chills through Savannah’s body. She stared out at the dark water in front of her, the crests of the waves appearing more ferocious than enticing.

A boy’s hand reached out and lightly touched her, bringing her back to reality. He moved his arm down, linking their fingers together tightly. He pushed her slowly to the water, their feet sinking.

The girl jumped back with fear as the ice cold water touched her skin. She gazed out at the ocean in front of her as if the waves would engulf her and drag her away, never to be seen again.

The boy could sense her discomfort and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close. He pushed her hair behind her ear and forced her to look at him. “Savannah, I swear I will never let anything hurt you. This water cannot hurt you, because I won’t let it.”

Immediate relief filled the girl up and she nodded, this time pulling the boy closer to the cold, blue water. She stepped closer and closer until knee deep in the water. Savannah reached down and cupped her hands together, taking a handful of water. She let the water run down her face and almost become a part of her.

The boy smiled and took her hand once more, dragging her even farther into the depths of the ocean. Together they laughed and played, as if they were not in the water at all. By this point the water was up to their necks, and the girl who was once shaken and scared, was smiling after all.

She looked at the boy in front of her and wrapped her arms around his neck, his arms moving to her waist. In that moment, she was home.