Status: I'm working on it! I promise! I legit research marine-like things for this! The layout is a gift, by PunkRockChick, to all you lovely readers! Thank you so much! Just for reading! Even if you don't like it! Hopefully, your eyes aren't bleeding now. ;)

Maid of the Wave

Chapter Three

A strong friendship is a strange thing, because even though it seems predetermined one could go their entire life without even knowing. They could go their entire life without knowing that someone right beside them has many similar traits, and has walked the same road. They live in the same world, swim the same oceans, and the same moon turns the tides of their life. Yet, They live in different worlds, so far apart it rips at the very fabrics that weaves destiny together. What was fate to be is so nearly torn a part by all of the factors playing against it.
Somewhere in the world, could be someone just like them, and though two lives were so different…with just a little effort it could be found that the two winding roads were the same.
In the scenario through which it was necessary to take note of this phenomenon, in Methone was a castle that housed to King Vertillo and his two sons. The Oldest, Prince Christopher, was embarking on a journey just that afternoon that would leave him gone for days; the youngest, Cornelius, had taken position as the Captain of the royal guards but once again had disappeared without a trace.
Methonians, no doubt, were so beyond loyal and brainwashed that the position wasn't even needed. However, he still made his rounds and for his own protection delivered a cold persona to those around him, that way if they did do anything wrong he'd be ready to act without hesitation.

The dungeons were desolate and cold, never in use because Cornelius, despite his best efforts, never made any arrest. No one was really doing anything wrong, according to Vertillo's laws. In the entire world, there were two people that he could be himself with, two people who understood him for who and what he was…and especially understood his desperation. They were named David and Matthew

They were both nobles, like him, and both aloof to all other people, like him. Outside of Methone, beyond the odd route that led to the city, was yet another cove. It was a secret place hidden behind a tall forest of seaweed and rocks covered in every variety of starfish that wanted to rest. In this secret cove the three boys would often hide, and it was a routine of their days to just sit in there ever since they discovered it as children.

From the ground up all along the dark rocky walls were their collections of odd various bits of junk they found special. From jewels found in sunken pirate ships (yet more proof that the other world did exist at some point) to weirdly shaped rocks. A collection of turtle shells took the cap and they presented it on a makeshift shelf, like anyone but them would ever see it. It was an attempt to make the place just that much more of a home away from home and it barely even worked. At their age they didn't really concern themselves with the special treasure anymore.
Sir David and Lord Matthew sat on the perch of the high ground in the coral reef, and engaged themselves in a game of Phyte. Using strands of the Red Algae, the thick base of the entire bed of color, they would tie each other's wrists in odd knots. It was a game that measured who had the most strength, dexterity, and endurance; one that only the toughest of the tough could play. In other words, it was yet another excuse for them to hurt each other and see who squealed first. Normally, Lord Matthew, the reigning Phyte champion would set himself up against someone a little more worthy. Someone, who could provide a challenge, unfortunately, Cornelius was on the job at the moment.
Just moment's prior, Prince Christopher made his way through the seaweed that hid their secret place and Cornelius obediently followed him out. David stretched out his long red tail until it twitched, then silently followed. When he returned the status update was that Cornelius went to make sure the purple tail was gone for good.

While Matthew was concentrating on untangling him from the painful knots, David had muttered a few distasteful remarks about the situation as a whole.
"The things Lou will do for the King." He said first, and Matthew agreed and intended to get back to concentrating. Next, David mumbled, "I mean, the whole thing is sickening- what does he have against her anyway?"
Matthew shrugged and said, "…He has a lot of responsibilities, we can grant him his faults."
David spoke again before Matthew could return to concentrating on that one strand that would untie the complicated knot, "Although, it's only one less mermaid, right? Who needs another woman around here? I can barely understand the normal ones as it is…perhaps it's for the best."
"Perhaps." Matthew curtly spoke, trying to end the onslaught of distracting conversation. David nodded, and the silence continued and Matthew contently started to untie. He'd almost figured it out when David said; "Do you think she was banished because of what Cornelius did?"
Matthew sighed, "Why would he banish her for something he did?"
David shrugged, "It's just that, Cornelius was awful attached to her…"
"Cornelius never even spoke to her." Matthew pointed out. David nodded in agreement and they continued to play…
"It's just that…it's not right to banish anyone unless they've done wrong, right? What would you do? What would you like to have done?"
"I'd like to have finished beating you, already." Matthew snapped, with clenched fists. David looked down at the Red Algae on their wrists and laughed.
"Oh, that? I untied mine while we were talking."
David flung the red algae aside and it floated back down, then he flexed his reddened wrists until the imprints left from the tight knot were a little less noticeable. Matthew blinked and looked down at the Red Algae that bound his hands together, suddenly it seemed much more complicated and cuff like.
"Come on, we need to find Cornelius." David swam to the head of the secret area when Matthew called out, "What about this knot?"
David turned around and laughed again looking at his own handiwork, "That thing? I don't even know what I did."
Matthew cursed through clenched teeth and darted after the retreating form of David.

The two boys found Cornelius floating just above the sunken shelf and looking toward the surface. Matthew was fiddling with the knot around his wrist, and tailing David slowly. David crept up behind Cornelius, then spoke, "I'm sorry she was banished…I know how you felt."
Cornelius's unruly brown shoulder length hair whipped around at a much slower pace than his head, and slowly bubbles came from the long locks, "I don't know of whom you speak."

David smirked and shrugged it off like the brain he was, "All those times you'd peer at the kingdom? Specifically the residential marketplace?" a coy smile crept up his face and his dark eyebrows furrowed.
"Yes. The Kingdom. In it's entirety." Cornelius spoke unamused. David just laughed like it was all a big joke and continued, "The Kingdom that she was in? Right?"
"What?" David looked between his two companions, who met his badgering with silence.
Cornelius sighed and massaged his eyes with his thumb and index finger, "Look, I'm just going to follow her to make sure she stays away."

"I knew it!" David clapped in his own triumph. Matthew and Cornelius heaved overdone sighs and swam away from David, who was left once again asking, "What?" this time more desperately.
He flicked his red tail and raced to catch up with his companions, he reached out his long tanned fingers and clasped onto the shiny black tail of Matthew. With this new found leverage, David pulled himself up between the group and the three of them started to make their way onto the trail of the dearly departed.

Echoing across the ocean came a stirring yell, " where the tablet is…the tablet is…tablet is…is…is...is…"
The two purple groupies were down below, and the three gentlemen stilled themselves to watch the scene unfold despite themselves.
They watched the yellow tail curl upward, as if building up the momentum that it took for her to dart like a blur of bright color in the relatively right direction.
The second one pulled her tail into a twist like she was a wind up mechanism, then her fin flurried into a blur of blue action and she wrapped her fingers around the end of the blue tail.

"Follow them?" David suggested, though the answer was obvious, because without another word on the notion the three boys slowly tagged behind.

"Are they even going the right way?" Matthew mumbled after a few minutes into Cornelius's ear, and he shook his head.
"So, why don't we tell them?" David offered up.
His companions clearly thought he was insane.