Status: I'm working on it! I promise! I legit research marine-like things for this! The layout is a gift, by PunkRockChick, to all you lovely readers! Thank you so much! Just for reading! Even if you don't like it! Hopefully, your eyes aren't bleeding now. ;)

Maid of the Wave

Chapter Four

For Claire, a decade ago, the world was much simpler. Things either were, or they weren't…people were either mean, or they weren't. At the tender age of six years old, the jabs of hatred stained her youth and she turned away silly childhood notions in favor of solitude. She slept on the cool shifting ocean sand and dreamed of a time when she'd wanted nothing more than to be alone.
Now that she had her wish, she wasn't sure what was ever so appealing about it. At least back in Methone she had two shoulders to cry on. The ever bickering Heidi and Naomi

"So, this time you be the Princess." Heidi's stubby little fingers placed the seaweed tiara on Claire's head, and Claire knocked it back off.
"I don't want to be the Princess." She curled her small purple tail to her chest and buried her face into the violet scales, "Couldn't I be a starfish stuck on the wall somewhere?"
Naomi sighed and placed her hands on her hips, "No! Part of taking turns means doing our fair share, when I was princess I ordered that a parade be throwed in my onner everyday!"
She pushed her black hair off of her shoulder and flicked her yellow tail. Heidi wiped her wrist against her nose, "Claire, when I was princess I declared that every mermaid be a siren that can go sing for sailors. That we play music everyday."
Claire's face turned a dark shade of red and she nearly yelled, "Well I don't have anything to decree! I'm just a stupid ugly worthless piece of ocean blubber and I'd rather be a starfish on the wall! I don't want to be a princess!"
"But you have to be!" Naomi and Heidi yelled at her, and Heidi shoved the tiara back in her direction. Claire snatched it so hard it broke apart, "There! Now, I don't have to be."

The three friends swam in different directions… and Claire found herself waking up from the flashback dream. Her entire body tensed with a stretch and her tail gave out a satisfying pop, then she laid back and stared up at the endless empty seas. The waves would roll, but instead of making it completely around they would crash down into a patch of bubbles and float on the surface. The silence surrounding her only made her thoughts louder, and her thoughts only reflected on the things she'd left behind.
She'd always complained, but when she was finally alone and away from her home she found that she only wanted to return.
"Why is it, whenever a life changing event comes along I'm always bombarded with flashbacks?" Claire snarled while massaging her eyes with the heel of her palm. A small orange fish had found it's way into her personal space, and stopped to stare at her during her monologue. It's round eyes looked on in shock and confusion, before a bubble popped from it's little kissing lips then it sped off. .
"Great…now the fish are ignoring me. How could it have gotten so bad that fish ignore me?"
The fish who might have been a good friend to Claire hadn't it found her so intimidating carried on it's way to leave her behind where she lay. It entered itself into a stream and picked up the pace of its fin until the muscles started to ache. It popped back out near some rocks and carried on over a coral reef of bright colors and friendly fish companions who greeted each other politely before going about their own agendas. It was nothing more than a flickering flitting orange light to the fish that were winding their way through the tall seaweed.

It moved on through dips along the floor and wove around rocks that served as obstacles in his path. Finally, having taken the long way around the large shelving it stopped in front of a small cave. An intelligent green fish was messing with a few silver pebbles that had fallen off of the entryway and marked the smooth rocks with scars of imperfection. The orange fish made it's way into the spotlight that conveniently shone straight through the water onto the ground just in front of the cave, and offered a finned salute.
"Here, sir."
The green fish patted a pebble down with his fin and watched as it slowly sank back down, "Yes, um, open the sign, will you? We'll need customers if we're ever going to fix this blasted rock."
The orange fish cheerfully bounced, "I- I don't think there's anyone who actually fixes rock…sir."
The green fish's bright yellow eyes glinted in the light and reflected both the small orange fish looking at him and an undertone of annoyance.
"Of course there's someone who fixes rocks! How do you think rocks are still in the ocean? Do you think they just magically fix themselves? Just grow from little seeds?"
"W-well…N-no sir…I just…" the orange fish stammered while swaying back and forth bashfully, "I was just thinking that…"
The green fish pointed its fin to the giant rock covered with various seaweed and moss, "You are not paid to think, uncover that sign."
"Right, sir!" the small orange fish darted up to the giant rock, whose slanted surface had pictures embedded in it, and pulled the sheet of gunk off of it. Anyone looking in the direction could see the sign, even from far away, and it would pull any unlucky customers right in.

Coincidentally, and unfortunately for the orange fish, who didn't like merfolk as it was and was only comfortable with one a day, the first customers were two mermaids. One with a golden yellow tail that could be seen from a distance like a shining bright star, and tagging behind the long blue tail that stood out against the tainted earthly colors of the sea ground.
Heidi's brown curls were floating off of her neck, and her bright blue eyes were smiling out at Naomi her hero, "Aren't you glad we left? Now we've gone on a grand adventure, you see! We have experience! Stories we can tell our grandkids one day, when we can go home, when the new Prince is crowned."
Naomi let out a sigh, "We almost got crushed by rocks back there, falling boulders underwater are still falling boulders!" she scolded jerking a thumb back at a tower of stones that covered the small trench that they'd just come from.
Heidi looked up with round innocent eyes and spoke like a carefree child, "They didn't actually hit us…and besides, aren't you happy to be in a world of adventure, thrill, and danger? To finally be out where all of the sharks are? The sunken ships? Where we can be ourselves and if we make a mistake not be punished for it because we don't know the people who're witnessing said mistake?"
Naomi's dark brows both raised and she brought a hand up to massage her brow, "Heidi. We're not on an adventure, we're here to reunite with Claire who no doubt already has a plan. She's not waiting around for us, and the more you go around poking at things, 'Oh, what's that?' 'Oh, what's this?' 'Oh, what's- oops avalanche.' The less progress we make."

Heidi delivered a small pout and sniffled her way out of tears, before the eye catching smooth stone sign caught her attention, "Oh! What's that?" she nearly exclaimed before darting off and leaving Naomi behind. The logic of Naomi's speech clearly failed to actually reach her friend, and yet despite the annoying attention disorder and the avalanches waiting to happen she found herself following Heidi at a calm and mellow pace.
The orange fish, being the first to see them, called out, "Hello, down there! Bossman! Bossman! There are two customers! Headed our way! One is a yellow fish, one is a blue fish!" his eyes blurred then steadied into a focus and he noticed Heidi's hand reaching out in front of her and guiding through the waves.
"Zoinks! Mermaids!" The orange fish zipped out from under his post at the sign and like a flash of light was suddenly behind the big green boss man.
His boss sighed and stared out at the two girls, "You have any idea how much money we can make off of mermaids? Fish come by gold doubloons by chance…mermaids come by gold doubloons because they're smart. They're looking for money, they have more than little fish ever could! They're walking treasure chests!"
"S-swimming, sir." Pipped the little orange fish with the raise of his fin. The Bossman gave his face a little smack, "Don't correct me! Go greet our customers!"

The orange fish sighed and reluctantly swam up to the ridge of rocks that led down into their little business. The land in front of him was barren, without shifting sand in the still water. A dust mite of sand shot up in his face and broken the peace and sent him into a coughing fit. When he waved all of the sand away he was greeted by Heidi's face and a huge grin, "Hi, little fish!" she squealed. He jumped back startled and she giggled, "What's all this?"
The orange fish looked into his bright blue eyes like the endless ocean and imagined a sort of carnivorous hunger aching in her bones. Her hand came out and slowly extending toward the fish. A fear of being grabbed and eaten by this pale girl was so overwhelming that he was left stuttering, "I-I-I-um-I-I-I…I…AH! Boss! Boss! Boss!"
Naomi pulled herself up next to Heidi, to a little hole chipped in the rocks where bubbles were shooting out and tickling her tail. Naomi giggled and wiggled around.
The orange fish shivered behind the green boss, who let out an exasperated sigh and waved them over, "Friends! Friends of all sizes, species, and from all corners of the island! Come! Come see the wonders of the magic holes! Look through them to see other parts of the ocean! See things that you don't see in this barren land!"
Naomi shook her head and was going to beckon Heidi to leave, but before she could get a word in edge wise Heidi pulled herself forward, "Oh! Oh Naomi, doesn't it sound exciting! It's magic! Those are magic holes!"

Naomi massaged her temples and counted to ten over and over in her head before following, Heidi grabbed her hand and linked her fingers with her in front of the big green fish. The big green fish, having gained his desired audience presented a fin, "Payment to see the entire ocean in one place!"
Heidi twirled herself around in a few playful circles and whipped the bubbles back at Naomi before rushing into the tiny cavern full of little holes.
Naomi was left behind to pluck out a few pearls and beads from her hair, anything of value on her person that could make do for the money Heidi was impulsively spending.
Then she followed in after Heidi, who clambered her fingers to the hard brittle rocks and peeked through any hole that didn't have bubbles in it.

Naomi covered one of the bubbly holes and watched her comrade exert her energy into a circus attraction. Her eyes drooped down to small slits and her eyelashes covered her vibrant green eyes under their stringy black haze.
"Naomi! Oh, Naomi! I see her! I see her! I really do see Claire!"
Naomi's eyes popped open then puckered into little crescents. A small smile lit her face and her red lips curled upward. Her fingers with pale bands where rings used to be scaled the wall and she pulled herself to where Heidi was. Heidi pushed herself back with her fin and swam in place with her hands, Naomi's stupid little grin was enough to make Heidi document the moment forever. At the opportune moment, when Naomi was at her grumpiest, Heidi would remind her that looking at their friend through a hole made her grin. Oh, she'd deny it all right, but not if Heidi said something.
Heidi racked her brain for the perfect thing to say, it couldn't tip her off…but it couldn't be too vague…or it wouldn't be good leverage.

Her lips twitched in circles while the thoughts came and left the tip of her tongue, "You're smiling wide, you sure seem happy."
Smooth. Very smooth. Smooth failure!
Naomi's grin faltered, "O-oh, you know. I was amused because I thought you were wrong. You were right though, congratulations."
"We have to find out where in the entire ocean that is! We have to find Claire where ever she is!"

The orange fish shifted his position next to the ear of the boss man, "Should we tell them it's a big scam? I mean, it's all just on the other side of the shelf…"
"Hush, pup!" the boss swung his full fin out at the little orange thing, and his employee yelped with fright, "We're not going to tell them it's all a scam. They'll want their money back."

Heidi grabbed Naomi's hand in both of hers and pulled it behind her like a piece of luggage, "Oh, yoohoo! Where does that hole I was just looking through lead!"

"Th-that leads to th-the other side of the wall- ah don't eat me!" the orange fish moved the water with his speed and whirled Naomi's long dark hair around to the side of the girls.
"What sort of mermaids has he met?" Naomi posed the rhetorical question, and pushed her dark hair back behind her where the long strands of doom belonged.
Claire let go of Naomi's hands for once to kiss the green fish's forehead, "Thanks for your help!" the green fish cowered away almost immediately and swam backwards in an off put mood, "Uh. Yeah. Come again! My favorite customers!"

The two girls swam over the cliff, and the orange fish came out of hiding, "Your only customers."

Claire beat a rock against the back of the tablet, little doodles while on the path to no where. She was headed to warmer waters, anyway, and if she could find something to eat to satiate the grumbling of her stomach that would be great.
Just half the day had passed, and she was already hearing mirages, because somewhere in the distance above the rocks behind her she swore she heard giggles. Hallucinations from a sad memory, but the giggling got louder and no memory came that quite matched the giggling she was hearing. Seaweed tickled the bottom of her fin and danced with the shades of purple, and she stood above its tingling touch.

A jerk caught her and she launched forward. Light arms embraced her elbows to her sides and held her tight, and forced her to dart ahead. The familiar embrace of a certain hyper blue finned mermaid, "Heidi?" Claire could barely speak above a whisper.

Naomi was there too, to greet her with a small grin, "Saying anything now would just be cliche."
Naomi's own way of expressing everything that came naturally to her best friend Heidi. Claire wiggled her arms out from Heidi's embrace, and Heidi latched onto Claire's waist like an elastic band. Claire and Naomi first embraced each other's wrists, Naomi keeping herself at the usual distance and least bit of physical touch, but Heidi grabbed Naomi by the arm and jerked her forward into the friendly group hug.

The three of them held one another for a few precious seconds. Happy seconds that eliminated every bad thing in the world that ever happened or ever would. It was a moment they'd need to store in their memories for a long time.

"I didn't think I had a happy memory." Claire said with emotion welled in her voice, "But I was wrong! This is it! This is my happy memory!"

Naomi peaked over Claire's shoulder. Between strands of curly brown hair a pair of dark eyes stared back at her, "And, now the happy memory is over."

Claire and Heidi followed her eye's lead, and all three faces distorted into the same glower. Claire morphed into a scowl and pointed straight at the opposite ring leader, Cornelius, "You have some nerve coming over here!"

"I'm allowed to swim free in the ocean, just like you." Cornelius said, completely unaffected, and not pointing out it was David who urged them along the way. "I'm also here to make sure you get somewhere safe. With food."
"And shark patrol." David interrupted with the humble lift of a finger.

Cornelius and Matthew both whipped back to look at him, and he shuffled his tail nervously. Cornelius turned back to Claire with tired emotionless red eyes and his arms folded behind his back, "Anyway. I know the way to the nearest kingdom, Dianus. I'll escort you there."

"I don't need you to tag along!" Claire snapped, "We can do this ourselves."
"Oh. Maybe you'd rather starve." Cornelius combated.

Her built up anger met his cool mirth and like an intense battle staring daggers went flying back and forth, with the other four left to watch the wills take on a swashbuckling adventure.
Heidi looked over at Matthew, with his short dark hair and his black tail. He gave her a quick glance, and she waved her fingers at him. His gaze returned to Cornelius and she let out a girl giggle, then raised her hand, "I vote for an escort! I am a little hungry!"

"Fine!" Claire groaned, though in response to who was unclear, and with fists pumped at her sides she followed Cornelius's lead.