Status: Senior year of college, be patient with me.

The Ice Princess

Chapter Three

The air was cool under the dark sky. Dust fluttered around me from the bifrost but was otherwise still in the foreign land. "Thor?" I whispered, my eyes darting over the horizon for any sign of him. I felt my heart swell with fear. Where was I? I glanced up, hearing a roaring in the sky and saw the light of the bifrost opening again, but something else was falling through. The light disappeared and I started to make my way towards it. I yelped, jumping back picking my my throbbing foot. I glared at the bush I had stepped on and then looked at my foot. It was red but wasn't bleeding.

Carefully I began to walk, watching my steps as I made my way towards where the bifrost had opened. It must have been farther than I had originally thought because by the time I had made it to the crater, the sun was in the sky. I paused, breathing out a breath. Unfortunately I wasn't Thor, like I had been hoping, but Mjolnir. But it seemed I wasn't the only one drawing to the crater. People and large metal contraptions sat around the crater, each taking a turn trying to lift Mjolnir, but every one failing. A few put a chain around Mjolnir and then connecting it to a moving metal contraption, trying to lift it up. I shook my head as the contraption broke, and clasped my hands behind my back.

I jumped as a blacked colored metal contraption rolled up behind me and a man stepped out of it. He eyed me and stepped up to the edge, looking down at the crater with me. He then turned and pulled something out of his pocket before speaking into it. "Sir, we found it." He then nodded and placed the thing back into his pocket. "I'm going to have to ask you to leave, miss."

My eyes narrowed, "And I'm going to have to ignore your request."

The man raised an eyebrow, "Do you know what that is down there?"

I shifted slightly, "Yes."

"Can you tell me what it is and what it does?"

I looked down at Mjolnir, "No."

"Why not?"

"Because it doesn't concern you," I snap glaring at him.

He raised his hands up, "Okay. Can you tell my your name?"

"Cora," I said quietly. I looked around, "Where are we?"

"My name is Phil. And we're in New Mexico."

"New Mexico?" I pondered quietly. "Is that the name of this planet?"

Phil seemed slightly taken back. "No, the planet is Earth."

My eyes widened, "Midgard."

"Where are you from?" Phil asked as more dark metal contraptions circled around the crater. I said nothing in return. "Okay," Phil said slowly. "Are you here alone?" Again, I said nothing. "We can't help you unless you-"

"You cannot help me," I said calmly. "Only I can help myself."

"And how are you going to do that?" inquired Phil.

"I will wait until I see a sign," I said calmly.

"A sign?" Phil asked.

I glare, "Are my words not simple enough for you, mortal?"

"Mortal? Are you immortal then?"

"Why do humans ask stupid questions?"

Phil sighed, "All right. Never mind, then. But until I know more you must remain under my custody."

I eyed him, "Will we remain here?"

"If you'd like," he shrugged.

"I will not leave this crater until I find what I seek," I said simply and then wandered down the side of the crater towards Mjolnir.

"Miss. Miss!" I turned to Phil. "Until we have this place secure I'm going to have to ask you to sit in the car."

"Car?" I wondered aloud. "Do you mean your metal steeds?" I nodded to the thing behind him.

He looked back at it and then back at me. "Steeds. Yeah."

"Very well," I sigh and walk back up to him. "Your planet is very strange," I muse as he opened the door to the car.

"Uh, yeah," he nodded. "Now, just wait here until we're finished, all right?"

"If I must," I sigh seating myself down inside. He closed the door and I slumped back against the seat. Why wasn't Thor here? I pout looking around the car. This was going to be a long exile...