Lights Out

Chapter One

“Why do you put up with this shit?” Matt asked me as I picked up the pieces of what had once been a very nice vase. I ignored him. Calling Matt had been a mistake. But he was the only person I could get ahold of
“Huh? Talk to me Izzy!” He grabbed me and pulled me up to meet his hazel eyes. I was still shaking.
“I’m not anymore okay.” I choked out.
“You know Charlie is going to be pissed.” Matt said his voice softer. He hadn’t let go of me.
“My brother is never going to find out.” I stressed the never part.
“Yeah like the gash in your arm isn’t going to cause questions?” Matt said pointedly.
“I’m just clumsy Matt.” I jerked myself away from him, because I knew it wouldn’t take long for him to put two and two together.
“That bastard.” He growled.
“Matt, don’t please. I just want to forget all about this. Please.” I begged.
He was silent.

I finished cleaning up the mess; I had gotten most of the blood up before Matt arrived. Honestly more of it belonged to my now ex-boyfriend Victor. It had been a rough fight, but not our worst. It was the end though. I was done with him. Our relationship had never been healthy. Well I guess maybe at first things were good. But as soon as he moved in to the apartment I shared with my brother (who was currently touring with his band) things went straight to hell. It always went the same, we got into an argument, things got violent he left and I called one of my best friends to come and stay with me till things got better. Usually I cleaned up the mess before they arrived and downplayed it to a small argument. Everyone knew I hated being alone.
I tried to avoid calling Matt, he was one of my favorite people in the world, but Matt Sanders could see through me like no one else could. I had been hiding the bruises and scars for almost four months, but now everything was out in the open and I hated it.

I finally lost it an hour later as I tried to fix my famous break-up brownies. I tried to hide my tears as I heard Matt walk into the kitchen.
“Isabelle, stop. Just come here.” He said flatly.
I let myself fall into Matt’s broad chest and I cried like a baby.
“Tell me the truth Izzy. How long.” His voice was in my ear, and I was melting. Matt had an irresistible velvet voice.
“Since he moved in.” I whispered. Matt stiffened.
“Why didn’t you tell anyone?”
“Because it wasn’t anything I couldn’t handle.” I replied.
“I just don’t understand why he hurt you.” Matt ran his fingers through my long dark hair.
“The same reason Adam and Josh did.” I felt dead inside when I said the words.
“I’ll kill him.” Matt growled.
“No you won’t. Just let him go. Its fine.”
“No. It isn’t fine. None of this is fine.” Matt pulled my face up to meet his.
“You don’t deserve any of this Isabelle.”
“Really? Then why the fuck does it keep happening?” I was practically yelling through my tears.
“Because you have the worst taste in men I have ever seen.” Matt laughed.
I punched him in the chest and bit my tongue. I had been fighting my feelings for Matt since I had met him. But Charlie made it pretty impossible for me to date – anyone. He took over protective to a whole new level – but his heart was in the right place, I did have shitty taste in men. It was a long story, Victor wasn’t the first guy who tried to push me around.

“Do you want me to stay here until Charlie gets home?” Matt asked.
“You don’t have to stay that long, I can call Courtney and Tessa when they get back from their cruise.”
“No, I really think I should stay. If you don’t mind. I – I have a weird feeling about this. I don’t wanna leave you alone.” Matt said softly.
“Thanks, but Victor is a pussy. I promise he walked out looking worse than I did.” I smiled a little. I was small, but I had gotten the shit beat out of me enough that I learned out to fight back.
“Still, I would feel better if I stayed here.” Matt said, the tone in his voice told me there was no arguing my way out of this.
♠ ♠ ♠
New story. I actually started writing this before I did Sell Your Soul - but I got more into SYS.
Anyway. Thoughts?
Yeah I know - I can't exactly get away from Hollywood Undead & Avenged Sevenfold.