Status: New story, different from anything I've read

World Traveler

Age: 7

"Liam, I'm going to be a world traveler!" A seven year old Samantha told her twin brother Liam. She smiled a big, toothless smile. Liam helped her to knock out her two front teeth earlier in the week (by slamming a door in her face), and her new ones hadn't yet come in.

"Oh yeah? Well you need money to travel! Do you have any money Sammy?" Her brother smirked, as much as a seven year old could, in satisfaction as Sammy's smile fell. Her green eyes filled with tears. Seeing his sister's face crumple, Liam tried to backtrack his words. "Well you don't have money but you can earn some. Come with me!" He lead Sammy out the front door, past their tree in the middle of the yard, past their mailbox, across the street, to the neighborhood notice board. "Look here! Mommy said a job earns money, this says 'Hiring', which I learned is what places say when they have jobs, so lets take it home to have mommy read what it says!" Their seven year old selves rushed back to the house to find their mom, Susan, in the kitchen making lunch for her darling twins (not).

"Mommy! I wanna be a world traveler but Liam says I need money so I need a job can you read this please?" Sammy rushed her words together as quickly as possible, retelling Susan the last 15 minutes while thrusting the 'Hiring' ad she and Liam had grabbed.

"Well lets see Sammy, it says, 'Hiring, paper boy (or girl)' hey you're a girl Sammy," Susan smiled her caring smile and continued on, "'deliver papers to three surrounding neighborhood and this one, total, 75 houses. Call 555-023-8745.' Do you want to call with me Sammy?" Sammy nodded her head quickly and Susan scooped her in her arms. "You know Sammy, you're not that heavy for a seven year old. Not like your brother at least, I couldn't pick him up if I tried!" Susan chucked as her daughter laughed loudly, whether Sammy knew why it was funny or not, she knew her mom meant to be funny. "Okay, you dial these numbers, 555-023-8745." Susan read the numbers slowly as her seven year old pressed the key pad.

A gruff, 'Hullo?', was heard by both Sammy and her mother from the other end of the line. "Hello, my name is Susan and my daughter was inquiring about the hiring ad you placed on our neighborhood notice board." Susan carried a conversation with the man while Sammy rested on her mothers lap happily. She thought of all the places she would travel. First, around America. She lived in a small town in England and was excited to see places like New York and LA, and other places she saw on the Travel Channel, or on her cartoons. "Well Sammy, this is Mr. Gifford, talk to the nice man sweetie." Susan passed the phone to her daughter.

"Hello?" Sammy's seven year old voice nervously cracked.

"Hey kiddo. Your mom tells me you want a job to be a 'World Traveler, eh? Well, you're in luck! You just need to deliver papers to your neighborhood, and the other three around it. But! You have to wake up early, and any day you miss you lose an extra days pay. I know that's a lot of words, but I pay fairly and I'd love to start your dream savings." His voice was kind and you could tell her was probably a smiling old man.

"Okay Mr. Gifford. I'd like to be hired!" The old man chuckled.

"Put your mommy on the phone sweetie, she and I have things to talk about." Sammy tossed her mom the phone and hopped off her lap, proud of herself. She left her mother to talk to Mr. Leroy Gifford, a 77 year old registered sex offender, however his job was for real. Every Sunday, Sammy would have to pick up 450 papers that had to be delivered Monday through Saturday, then on Sunday she would collect the money for that week and bring it to pick up her next week of papers. Mr. Gifford also mentioned that it wasn't wise for Sammy to walk the route, "She should be on a set of wheels, just in case someone tries to grab her." Though he claimed it was unlikely. Susan finished her conversation unaware of Mr. Gifford's true intentions.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not sure how British phones work. I wasn't going to make this a fan fiction, but I decided it would be perfect. if someone wants to explain British phone numbers, I would be grateful.