Status: New story, different from anything I've read

World Traveler

Boarding

As soon as Sam uttered the word ‘raped’ Susan flew out of the room and got the police on the phone. She didn’t come back until the police had arrived. She had brought Liam and Marcus along with her as well. Sam started her story, tears slowly fell as she described it. It was hard for her to relive it. Her nightmare was hard for her family to hear. By the age of 10, neither Sam nor Liam were stupid. They understood more than they probably should have.

After Sam told the basics, about what he did and what she tried to do to stop him. She mentioned when he started and when he was finally finished. Susan was crying, her head leaned on Marcus’s shoulder. She blamed herself. Marcus blamed himself, and Liam just wanted his baby sister and mother to stop crying. The police had the Payne family follow them to the station so Sam, with the supervision of Susan and Marcus, could fill out a report and get Mr. Gifford placed in jail.

After the report, which had a lot more details, the police went after Leroy Gifford. Since firing Sam he had placed new hiring ads in each neighborhood and almost had a new paperboy, age 7.

After the ordeal, Sam stayed home a lot more. Only going out to do odd jobs around her neighborhood and to go to school. Her and Liam talked all the time, about everything, Liam even called her Sammy again. The day before their fifteenth birthday, Sam dropped a bombshell.

“Liam, I’m going to an exchange program in America for the next three years.” Sam spoke one morning. Susan and Marcus knew about it, obviously. She was already okayed and had a family ready to take her. The program only lasts a year, normally, but she got special permission for three years of overseas learning and touring.

Liam’s jaw had dropped. He couldn’t believe his sister was going away, for three years no less! “Wh-when do you leave?” Sam turned away. This was the hardest part.

“In about 4 hours.” Liam stood and fled from the breakfast table. Sam had tears slowly slipping down her face. She didn’t want to leave her best friend and brother. Liam was her everything, but this was her dream. If she didn’t go, Mr. Gifford won. She didn’t work so hard to not travel. It was all she ever wanted.

Sam went after Liam, despite her parents protesting. Knocking on his door she called out, “Liam, please, you have to understand.” Behind her, the door to her own room opened and sniffles could be heard. She turned and saw Liam, peeking out of her room.

“I don’t want you to go. Can I come too? Please? Don’t leave me Sammy.” Sam’s heart broke. She sobbed out loud as she pulled Liam in for a hug. He was now taller than her, her at five foot five and him at five foot eight. She nestled her head in the crook of his neck and sighed. “I wish you could Liam, but we can email and talk all the time. I promise to fly you out during the summer.” Liam kissed the top of Sam’s head.

“Okay Sammy. I know this is what you’ve always dreamed of, I can’t stop you. I wish you were around for my audition though.” Sammy mentally smacked her forehead, Liam was about to audition for the X-Factor. She wasn’t going to be here to cheer him on.

“I’m so sorry Liam! I-I wish I could do something. But I know you’ll do wonderful, you always do. You’re the best singer I know.” Sam pulled away. “I have to finish packing.” She maneuvered around Liam, who offered to help.

The twins quickly packed the rest of Sam’s things. Sam still had three hours before she had to leave for the airport. “Want to practice your audition song Liam?” Liam’s face turned bright red.

“Actually mum has been helping me. I’ve sang it about a thousand times. Let just watch a movie, you pick.” Sam choose Toy Story, which was both of their favorites. They sat together on Liam’s bed and didn’t think about the fact that Sam was going to be thousands of miles away in a few hours. They didn’t think about Liam’s audition. They thought about each other.

When it was time to leave, the two climbed into the car holding hands. “Now Sam, behave and don’t give your new family any grief. Call us when you land. You have surprises in your suitcase. Liam, you have a surprise in your room. Neither of you are allowed to see them until Sam calls. We love you sweetie.” Marcus pulled into the airport and Sam was out in a flash. She may have been sad to leave, but she was excited to expand her small world. Sam hugged each of her parents. Both had tears slipping down their faces. Finally, she turned to her brother. No tears escaped either of them as they embraced. Liam whispered in Sam’s ear, telling her things she simply must do while in America. They parted with a final, ‘I love you’.

Sam went through security and boarded the plane, ready to begin her adventure, and start seeing the world.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, she is off. 5 chapters in and I finally feel like I'm starting the actual story. Background is important though...

So! The next chapters will be in Sam's POV instead of 3rd person. I'll flip back to her family when neccesary as well. The rest of the 1D boys will be in (hopefully) before chapter 10...

Please comment. What song do you think Liam is going to audition with? (In the story. I don't know what he actually sang in real life.)