Carry on, Wayward Dean

Chapter Two

The next morning in the little Canadian township, all surviving humans began to stir and prepare themselves for the next difficult day of their lives. They were unaware that today was going to be particularly hazardous for them. An invisible Reaper stood still by the entrance of the boarded up general store that they now called home. Not everyone could survive Gluttony’s destruction.

Gluttony was watching Dean and Cas awaken, and once they were in a stolen car and definitely heading for the targeted town, Gluttony stopped following them. He circled the town, attracting all of the zombies that were in the area. They followed him in a small droning crowd of hungry beings that just loved to over-indulge. It was easy for them to give in to his demonic magic, as they had no difficulty relating to his persona.

The demon led the starving creatures into the town as the survivors ate their miserable excuse for breakfast. They had no idea what was heading their way. It wasn’t a lot of danger, but more than they had ever had to handle before. There were quite a few more zombies than the last horde they had encountered, and that was when they had tragically lost their dear friend Jimmy. He had sacrificed himself for them, the brave soul.

Without hesitation, Gluttony pointed the undead at the front door and they walked straight to it, suddenly picking up on the smell of the juicy fresh human meat. The line at the door became large quickly, so they parted and surrounded the building. Once they had reached the backdoor, which was near the kitchen, Matt saw them. His eyes widened with fear and his spoon dropped with a loud clang. None of them ever wanted to see the rotting leftovers of a head moving past the window. There was little space to see out of because of the boards they had put up, but it was still sufficient. Another monster had arrived and wanted its own breakfast. Matt was determined not to be that meal.

“Matt? Sweetie, what is it?” his wife Val asked. She turned around and followed his gaze and saw another corpse walk past. She breathed in sharply, her almost empty stomach suddenly felt sickeningly full, and her body started to tremble with fear. Zacky stood and peeked out of the closest window, spotting more undead creatures. Just as Brian was loading up his shotgun, the eerie scratching at the door begun, the one noise the survivors dreaded. They knew they were in there.

“Where did they all come from?” Zacky hissed angrily as he slammed down his mug of murky water.

“It doesn’t matter. They’re here now,” Brian growled as he fumbled with his ammo. Johnny walked into the room.

“Guys, there’s zombies out front,” he announced quietly, his voice very anxious.

“And out back,” Zacky informed him as he took hold of the machete he had nicked from a man who didn’t survive a few towns over.

“I guess we need to get out of here before they get in,” Matt said, telling himself that more than anyone else. He was nervous, to say the least. He couldn’t let what happened to Jimmy happen to another one of his friends. Ever since it had happened, he had blamed himself. If he had only…

“Matt! Focus!” Johnny shouted as he slammed a knife onto the table next to Matt. Matt jumped, but took the knife and stood up. Val was still shaking, silent tears falling down her cheeks as she watched the bloody heads slowly moving past the gaps, the occasional bare skull or brain being shown. Matt had always enjoyed playing zombie-killing games, and other shooting games. But now, when he actually had to hold a gun and knife and fight for his life, well… that was a whole new story.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? What do you think is going to happen?