Carry on, Wayward Dean

Chapter Five

Gluttony grimaced as the car drove away from the unsuccessful zombies. The demon hadn’t taken into account the other humans being prepared to fight back, and doing it pretty well. This was no news to bring back to Lucifer. No, he had to try again and succeed. Dean Winchester had to die, and it would be at his hands…

After a few minutes of silence, Dean introduced himself and Cas to the three armed strangers squashed in the back of his car.

“Zacky.”

“Brian,” Brian said before glancing over at Matt. He was staring out the window, clearly not concentrating as tears silently rolled down his cheeks. “And this is Matt. Thanks for saving us.”

“I’m sorry we couldn’t save her,” Dean said honestly. Brian frowned and nodded his thanks.

“We’ve lost three of our best friends now… What the hell is going on? No one has any answers!” Brian exclaimed. Cas glanced over at Dean before turning around to face the men in the backseat.

“You’ll probably think we’re crazy, but I’m going to tell you the truth,” Cas offered and Brian nodded. Zacky leaned forward and Matt stayed zoned out.

“It’s those stupid scientists, isn’t it? Always genetically modifying crap and now they’ve got loose, right?” Zacky asked, but Cas shook his head.

“Far from it, actually. I am an angel, though my powers have been taken from me, and those creatures are supernatural beings that have been around since the beginning of time. Lucifer has risen and now rules the world. This is the apocalypse,” Cas summed up nicely. Zacky and Brian glanced at each other, considering what the man had just said. Was he crazy? It was an insane explanation! But then again, the world was pretty messed up.

“Doesn’t surprise me,” Brian shrugged.

“You’re actually okay with hearing that? Most people don’t take it very seriously,” Dean said.

“Yeah, well, take a look around. Something’s clearly wrong,” Zacky agreed.

“So, what’s the next step then?” Brian asked Dean, eyeing Cas as he took out a bottle and took whatever drug was inside it. He shrugged it off, assuming it was painkillers.

“We kill as many of these sons of bitches as we can, save human lives, and just try and get through the day,” he replied, gripping the steering wheel harder. Dean was remembering the time he had told Sam similar things. It always helped them to endure the tougher days on the job, to know there was a greater good that they were risking their lives for. Now, it was just simple survival; nothing more, nothing less. They passed a sign for another township that was a few minutes up ahead.

“Let’s stop there. Look for supplies, then keep going,” Cas suggested.

“Sounds good. We’ve been trapped there for what seems like eternity. We were almost out of food, and I’m starved!” Brian said in a more cheerful voice. Zacky smiled a little, glad that things weren’t completely horrible anymore. Dean grinned subtly, grateful that he now had other people to talk to. And Cas beamed, simply because the drugs were taking effect.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks so much for the great comments guys - keep them coming! :)