Status: Complete!

Unravelled

Chapter 3

He took me to the fanciest restaurant I had seen in a long time and I looked around, amazed. “This is too much,” I whispered as we were being led to our table. “It’s unnecessary. We could seriously just go to like, Subway or something.”

Johnny turned to me and actually full out laughed. “First date at Subway? Come on, Brynn. I’m classier than that.”

“Well I’m not!” I replied, half smiling. “I’m probably not even going to be able to read this menu.”

“You don’t need to. I know what’s good here. I’ll order for you.”

That shut me up quickly. That reminded me of something my dad used to do for my mom many, many years ago when we occasionally went out for a meal. Thinking about that time got me a little choked up and the moment I sat down I picked up the wine menu. “This, I can read,” I said, smiling at Johnny. I pointed out what I wanted to the waiter. I didn’t want Johnny to know what I had picked – I knew he’d drink it anyway. It was brought to the table quickly and Johnny checked out the bottle.

“Never tried this one before. Good?”

“Only the best,” I said with a smile. “Try it. I guarantee you’ll like it.”

He carefully took a sip and looked pleased. “I’m impressed,” he said, meeting my eyes.

“You better be. I worked hard perfecting that flavor.”

“What?” he choked out.

“That’s my business. Well, technically it was my dad’s business until he died. I don’t really do anything – I’m more the face who sits at business meetings just so people remember the family behind the name. That wine is the only one I actually helped create.”

“Wow! Now I’m very impressed,” he said, wide-eyed. “So your dad died and left it to you? Why wouldn’t he leave it to your mom?”

“Um, well, she left when I was 6. It was just me and my dad for as long as I can really remember. Then he died when I was 19 and left me to run a pretty successful wine company – which is pretty ironic if you think about it, seeing as 19 isn’t even legal age to drink.”

“Hm. 23 and have your own successful company. And this restaurant is too fancy for you? Jesus. I’d think someone like you would eat at places like this all the time.”

“Hey, just because I have the money doesn’t mean I spend it. Especially on extravagant things like this. Anyways, I didn’t even earn the money. I use it to get what I need and an occasional thing I want. I don’t flash it.”

“I do. I did anyway,” Johnny said, laughing. “When I got my first big paycheck I went crazy. Bought the most tricked out truck I could find and well… You’ve seen my apartment.”

“That’s the difference though. I mean, you weren’t used to getting whatever you wanted when you were little. You actually worked really hard to earn that money. I did nothing. I’m a spoiled little rich kid and let me tell you, I used that to my advantage when I was a kid. I fucked up a lot. And it might sound selfish but if I use this money right, I can live the life I want and never really work. I can enjoy my life and do whatever I want! But I have to use it wisely,” I said, winking.

The waiter came to the table then to take our order and, as promised, Johnny ordered for me. “Back to what you were saying,” Johnny said as soon as the waiter was gone. “What do you mean you fucked up?”

I finished off my glass of wine and poured myself another one. “Well, what didn’t I do as a kid?” I said, nervously. “Um, started drinking and drugs when I was 12. Not so proud of that. Off the drugs now, just so you know. That was more of a phase. Classic, get Daddy’s attention stuff I guess. Partied my way through high school and graduated by some miracle. I lived in Cambridge my whole life so I ended up meeting Alana there while she was going to Harvard – not that I went there,” I said, laughing. “I didn’t get in anywhere. We went to the same parties though and she’s fun. She helped a lot when my dad died too. I was left running a business with no common sense, let alone business sense. And, here she was doing a business degree. It was a perfect fit really.” I looked up and noticed our food had arrived. “Oh my God. I’m sorry I’m talking so much. I’m rambling. I just want to get all that out in the open. There’s more but nothing too important I guess. What about you?” I stopped and sighed. I hadn’t been planning on revealing so much so fast. I actually hadn’t planned on revealing anything at all. I had to cut myself off before I went too far – definitely scaring him off.

“It’s fine,” he said, laughing. “So you were a rebellious kid. I wish I was that exciting. My whole life was a huge, strict routine all sights set on the NHL. My life has always revolved around hockey and my family. Nothing overly exciting. Speaking of family, you said your mom left?”

“Yeah,” I said quietly. “Right after my sixth birthday. We had our annual birthday family dinner in a restaurant a lot like this one, actually, and two days later she was gone. Hugged me good-bye to go to the store and never came back. She left my dad a note saying she never really wanted the family life anyway and I never saw her again.”

“Wow,” Johnny said quietly. “How could a mother do that to her kid? Just up and leave and not wonder how you’re doing or anything? Do you have brothers or sisters or anything?”

“Nope. Nobody,” I gave him a small smile. “I’m all on my own. And about a mother deserting her kid – I have no answers for that but I’m sure there’s more to it than an outsider could understand,” I continued, quietly. “Who knows what was going through her head.”

The conversation for the rest of the night was pretty light – I assumed he was trying to process all the baggage I had just thrown at him. As we climbed into his car at the end of dinner he turned to me and said, “So… Did you want to, uh, come over? We can talk some more, you know…”

“Sure! I mean, if you want.”

“Of course I want to,” he said, cracking a smile. “Why wouldn’t I?”

I quietly laughed. “Well, usually my story scares people off, honestly.”

“You think that’s going to scare me off?” he asked, surprised. “I find you interesting.”

“Oh,” I replied with wide eyes. “Wow. Okay. Yeah. Your place.”

We arrived at Johnny’s apartment and he offered me a beer. I took it happily, already feeling a little buzzed from the wine. I was still freaking out that I was on a date with Jonathan Toews and when I was freaking out I felt even more of a need to drink. He sat down on the couch and I immediately laid down and put my feet up on his lap. “Wanna watch TV?” he asked.

“Sure!” I said, smiling. Does Kaner have any more pants here? I can’t get comfortable in this damn dress.”

He smirked. “Yeah, first room on the right. Just look through the drawers. There’s probably a couple t-shirts there too.”

I went in a changed into comfier clothes and when I returned to the couch I noticed that Johnny had changed too. I smiled, walked over to him and curled into his side. “You’re comfy,” I blurted out. I felt him laugh more than heard him. “Thank you?” he questioned. “What do you want to watch?”

“I don’t care. Whatever you want.” I smiled up at him.

“Okay. Movie then. We’re totally watching 21 Jump Street. I fucking love that movie.”

“OH MY GOD!” I exclaimed. “That’s my favorite movie ever! Yes. Please. Let’s watch that.” We settled in and spent the whole first half of the movie absolutely cracking up.

“I can’t believe you like this movie. I seriously thought only guys understood this movie.”

I sat up and looked at him. “Hey now. Girls have sense of humors too. And this movie is fucking hilarious.”

All he did was smile and shake his head. “I think I could like you,” he said suddenly. At that moment his phone started ringing. “Damn it,” he muttered. He looked at the caller ID and rolled his eyes.

“Kaner, what the fuck do you want?”

“We’re going out!” I heard shouted through the phone. “Come with us!”

“I’m with Brynn, Pat. Not tonight.”

“Bring her too! Some of the other guys are bringing their girls. I’m sure the boys would love to meet her.” Jonny glanced and me and I shrugged.

“I’ll go if you want,” I whispered.

“Alright,” Jonny said into the phone. “Meeting up at your place?”

“Yes! Hurry. People are already here.” He hung up and we decided to finish the movie first. It wasn’t like they were going to just leave without us. As soon as it was over we decided we should get ready and head out. I headed into the guest room and was surprised when Johnny walked in behind me. I narrowed my eyes. “What?” I asked, trying not to smile.

“Well, you know. Just figured I’d take another look at what you’re wearing. I seem to have forgotten what it looked like…” he trailed off with a smirk.

“Oh, really?” I said sweetly. “Well, take a seat on the bed and let me refresh your memory.” He sat down and I slowly started to pull my shirt up over my head. Making eye contact with Johnny I placed my hands on the waistband of the sweat pants. As I slowly pushed them down I noticed Johnny starting to shift uncomfortably. I held back a smirk and dropped the pants to the floor. As I stepped out of them I turned around and bent down to pick up my dress – trying to make my ass the center of attention. I slowly picked it up and as soon as I was standing up straight again I pulled it on quickly.

“Alright!” I said, turning around and giving him a big smile. “I don’t understand the big deal. Not that
nice of a dress. Now go get ready. I wanna go.” I sauntered out of the room and glanced back to see Johnny watching me and shaking his head. A few minutes later we were walking down the street on our way to Patrick’s apartment.

“You better be coming home with me tonight,” Johnny said quietly.

“Hm, I’ll think about it,” I replied, batting my eyelashes. He suddenly stopped, grabbing my hand and stopping me with him. He leaned down and kissed me forcefully. “Let me rephrase that. You’re totally coming home with me tonight.”

“How about we compromise?”

“How so?”

“How about, YOU come home with ME?”

He smirked and leaned down to kiss me more gently. “Meh. We’ll see,” he said, shrugging, dropping my hand and walking away.

I ran to catch up to him. “What the hell does that mean?” He laughed and replied, “It means we’ll see whose apartment is closer to the bar.”

We walked into Patrick’s apartment holding hands and it made me way less nervous about meeting the team. Patrick made a beeline towards us the minute we walked in. “Hey Tazer!” he exclaimed, glancing at me. “Who do we have here?”

“Oh shut up Kaner. You know damn well who she is. You’ve met her twice.” Pat rolled his eyes and smiled at me.

“Yeah, Brynn right? Sorry about those meetings. I’ve been told I get a little out of control when I’m drunk. I apologize if I offended you in any way,” he said with a smirk. I decided I liked this Pat was more than the Pat I met last night.

“Oh, you weren’t that bad,” I said with a smirk. “Just a little sleazy. Nothing I wouldn’t expect from a hockey player,” I whispered with a wink.

“Oh. Hm. I like you already,” Pat replied with a smirk. “I think she might be a keeper, Tazer,” he said as he walked away.

I turned to Jonny and took a deep breath. “Well, that wasn’t too bad. Let’s get the rest of these introductions over with, yeah?”