Blue

Confessions

After school as they walked to their cars, the three girls tried to decide what Riley would wear, based on what they could remember of what she had in her closet. Each minute that went on and they wouldn't shut up just made Riley sink more and more into anger and frustration.

Their conversation was interrupted when a tall well-built cowboy with brown hair and blue eyes came up behind Olivia and Kendra and wrapped his arms around them.

"Well howdy there ladies," He said with a grin.

"Jeremy!" Olivia squealed and squeezed him in a hug.

He laughed loudly. "What are our plans tomorrow night? I was thinking we drive out and go play paintball or go-karts."

Kendra shrugged his arm off and said "well, we kinda have to go to the game."

"What you mean kinda?" He asked.

"Johnny Banana's asked Riley out but she said he can only take her out if he scores the winning touchdown."

"Huh," He said. He looked at Riley. "You’re moving up. But I thought you didn't like jerks like that."

To Riley he sounded a little jealous. She knew Jeremy had a crush on her but she just didn't really feel the same way back.

She just shrugged." I couldn't really tell him no."

"Yes you could've." Hell he knew because she told him no all the time.

Riley sighed. "I didn't say no because I do want to go out with him. I just didn't want to look desperate, ok?"

She lifted her hood over her head and speed up a little. She was getting tired of all this attention. She wasn't really one to be in the spot light. Everyone already knew her parents were on the verge of a divorce and she didn't like her personal business out there.

She heard the girls start talking again and could feel Jeremy's eyes on her.

"I don't feel like studying today after school," She said, cutting them off again. "I'm just going to go home."

She turned away from them and started towards her car. She could hear the clicking of Jeremy's boots as he fell into step with her. She should have known he'd follow.

"Riley," He said. "You know you can tell me what’s bothering you. We've been friends for years now and you can trust me."

"I know, Jeremy."

"Then why do you keep hiding from everyone. Are. . .“ He lowered his voice, "Are your parent’s fights getting worse?"

Riley stopped walking and looked down at her feet.

"Riley, it’s not a good situation for you to be in. If you need a place to stay for a night or two, you know my door is always open and there’s a guest bedroom. My mom wouldn't mind you staying either. She'd love to have you come over."

"Ok," Riley said.

She began walking again and Jeremy with her. She knew there was no getting him to leave until she’s told him what’s bugging her. She unlocked her car, opened the door and sat in the driver seat, leaving the door open. Jeremy leaned on it, waiting for her to talk.The two were quiet for a few minutes before she let out a sigh.

"Yes, my parent’s fights are getting worse. I overheard them the other night saying they were about to lose the house and maybe the car too. My mom won’t say but I know he hits her so I try to stay out of dad's way and not piss him off. I haven't been sleeping well which is why I fell asleep in class. My grades are starting to fall and I just feel lost. I don't know what to do."

Jeremy watched her and listened. Never interrupting or saying anything. He was the only one that knew what was really going on in her life and she was glad to have him as a best friend.

"Come over tonight. My mom's cooking your favorite for dinner and she'd love to have you." he said.

Riley nodded her head. "I'll be there."