Status: Hopefully a better rewrite (fingers and hearts crossed)

Take This to Your Grave

Devil in the flesh

Pete had led me backstage after Projekt Rocket finished their set. It was a lot quieter there, but there were people laughing and talking, drinking under dim lighting. We ended up near his friend Chris and a slew of others. There were girls, Babette and Jennifer, among others who were drinking and laughing with other boys I didn't know.

Babette was in Chris's lap, and her eyes widened when she saw us; "Hey, it's..." She trailed, I think she forgot my name, "Naomi!"

My face grew red as she stood, "Hello." I greeted her with a wave.

Babette took my arm and yanked away from Pete, "Come have a drink, kid." She didn't say it in a derogatory way; she sounded kind.

"I don't drink." I managed to say as I looked back at Pete. He waved at me and smiled.

"We got pop." Babette pulled me toward this small table that had a bunch of beer on ice and cups. "When did you guys get here?"

"Uh," I looked at my watch, "20 minutes ago. We watched Projekt Rocket."

Babette nodded as she handed me a cool can of Cola. "Can I ask you somethin' without sounding like a total bitch?"

I shrugged, "It depends on the question."

She smiled at me; her bright white teeth threw me off. Babette is pretty with those choppers to match. "How old are ya?"

"16." I answered as I popped open the can. "How old are you?"

She giggled, "I'm 23. So, are you fucking our boy Wentz?"

I shook my head immediately, "Hell no."

Babette laughed, "Ha! I knew it. If you were fucking Pete, he wouldn't of brought you here. Do you know his girlfriend?"

"Leah?" She nodded, sipping out of a clear plastic cup filled with frothy beer. "I've seen her, never met her officially."

"You better watch out," Babette winked, "She's a killer shark. She's a clingy bitch who goes off on anyone getting near Pete. They break up like every other week; it's fuckin' stupid."

I could only nod at her, I wasn't sure how to respond. I didn't care about Leah, I only care about Pete.

"So, Ms. Naomi, do you like Arma Angelus?"

"A bit," I answered truthfully, "I'm... Not a big fan of the screaming."

Babette nodded, "Yeah, I know what you mean. But, I support my baby Chris."

Babette looked at Chris as he and Pete laughed and talked. Chris had a guitar strapped around him, strumming it absentmindedly. He wore a tank top that showed off his tattoos; I looked back at Babette, she too wore a tank top, and I discovered she had a few tattoos on her biceps. She looked like she belonged with Chris; they've been together so long, they start to look like one another. Though, she had thick blonde hair in a high ponytail, some of her hair was messily hanging out; Chris had dark, spiked gelled hair; he was tanned and Babette had ghostly white skin.

Similar, yet different.

"Ya'know," Babette's bright green eyes met mine, "You look like Pete's type."

"And what's that?" I asked curiously.

"Quiet." She informed softly, "You look so sweet... Though, the clothes don't look like you... Neither does the makeup."

"Yeah," I laughed embarrassingly aware, "Pete did this to me."

"Figures," she rolled her eyes, "I could help you if you need makeup tips. I work at Mac."

I blinked, "What's Mac?"

Her brows rose, "You don't know what Mac is?"

I shook my head and sipped from my can, answering her after, "No."

She gave an exhale and then chugged her drink. I watched her wipe the foam from her upper lip; "It's a makeup company, I work at one of their many, many stores. I give tips and apply makeup for a living."

"Oh."

"If you need help with makeup, just come by the mall." She dug into the back pocket of her tight pink jeans; "Here's my card. Don't let those other bitches get to you before I do. You reference me and I get a hefty little bonus."

Babette handed me a worn business card; it read her name: Babette Holmes, Makeup Artist, along with the address and number of the store. "I will, thanks."

"Not at all, I should thank you," she looked at my face, "The things I am going to do to that lovely face." She added in a murmur.

I laughed nervously, "I never put on makeup... I went to catholic school."

Babette giggled, "I think we're gonna be good friends, Ms. Naomi."

Babette and I continued to talk for a bit before a loud voice interrupted us all. It was the voice of Leah; "Peter!"

We all looked at her in confusion; she waltzed in with a grin and over to Pete. They hugged; he looked genuinely happy to see her, which made me feel a little sick inside. It was like a betrayal, I felt, and I hated him for it. It was my crush for him that was burning inside. Literal words; I was crushed.

Babette put her arm, lazily and friendlily around my shoulders, "That is the devil, Naomi. In the flesh."

I swallowed my heart that had hopped into my throat; "Why is she the devil?"

"Did ya not hear what I said earlier?" Babette was starting to sound a lot like my dad. "She's a bitch and she treats our boy Wentz like a doormat. He in return acts like a jerk to her and everyone around. She's the devil."

"The devil was an angel once," I told her. "He was once God's favorite."

"I highly doubt that." She snorted.

We watched as Pete released her, but she hung on, tilting her body back, holding Pete at his hips. Leah grinned at him, kissing his lips and pouting at him. All the things I had wanted to do to some boy one day. But, as I see, it looked dumb to do to anyone. Though, it didn't deter my envious feelings toward her; she had Pete / a boyfriend, which I didn't.

In my eyes, she had it all. I had nothing, not a thing, but eyes to watch. I had feelings and a heart to break. A name to never be dropped in the hour of love. I was nothing at all.

I was sure I'd go home and write about this and possibly cry. Cry because I was jealous as hell. I never had love, and it was terrible; in my head, my heart, my eyes.

As my thoughts sputtered in my head, I heard my name being spat out. Spat out venomously like poison; "You brought Naomi?!"

Babette giggled, "Don't worry, I got your back."

I looked at her, confused, "What?"

Leah looked at me, her hands at her side, fist balled. I raised a brow, wondering what would happen now.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really love how different I'm writing this