Status: Hopefully a better rewrite (fingers and hearts crossed)

Take This to Your Grave

Making friends isn't as hard as you think

It took me two days to even fathom the idea of talking to Pete again. I had shoved his little note in my drawer, and it had hit me that I had locked my window. I had looked over at my window, went over and slid it open, seeing that it was unlocked.

I poked my head out and saw just a hint of someone in the Wentz backyard. I didn't holler out, because I couldn't be to sure who it was. I growled under my breath, letting Pete get under my nerves, under my skin for reasons unbeknownst to myself. All in all I was working myself up, making myself angry over this whole event. I knew, logically, that it was so stupid to be angry, but I was.

I made my way downstairs, to eat breakfast and to slam the cabinets open and closed, because I could. I growled and grunted my way to a grilled cheese sandwich and cooled off by the time I had eaten it. By a good hour if being angry, I was okay, but I still hated Pete and I hated myself for it.

I went outside, to clear my head and check the mail, and sat on the porch. The dogs near by barked, indicating the mail man's arrival. I sat and waited, cooling off, letting the sun beam down my bare legs. I didn't know why I was sitting there, really, even as the mail man passed. I think, maybe, my instincts were telling me something, but my brain hasn't known it.

A familiar car rolled up the curb, and a high ponytail of silky blonde hair made my train of thought came back on track. I smiled as Babette came walking up the pathway, "Good afternoon, Naomi."

"Hi Babette." I waved at her.

"How's the shiner?"

"It's okay." I replied as she sat beside me. "What're you doing here?"

"I came to check up on you," she replied, "And, I wanted you to meet Chris's little sister. She's a student at New Trier, and maybe you two will get along since you're both 16 year old girls."

I laughed, "Most girls don't like me."

"You and Kate aren't like most girls, Naomi. Believe me; I've been with Chris long enough to know that."

I looked to her with curiosity, "I feel kind of awkward having you make friends for me."

She smiled, nudging me, "The good thing about that is that I'm not. I'm simply introducing you to my boyfriend's little sister, that's all."

I couldn't say no. I mean, I could've, but I didn't want to. Babette has been amazing to me so far, so why say no?

"Alright."

She grinned now, stood up and took my hand, "Lets go, girl."


Babette drove me around the home that Pete had taken me to for his birthday. "Look familiar?"

I scoffed, "Don't remind me." I murmured.

She parked out front, and then looked to me before I could open the door, "Hey, Naomi... I didn't mean to look so mean that night. It's just... I was skeptical, cuz, I mean, it's Pete and he likes stupid skanky girls."

I laughed, "It's alright, Babette--"

"Call me B, or Babe, please." She insisted.

I gave a short nod. "I took no offense at all by you all. I really wasn't sure what to expect for his friends, truly."

She gave an approving smile of sorts, "Good. I'm glad you like us."

"I do."

Babette pulled the keys from her ignition, "Alrighty, don't mind Katy too much. She's a little bitch most times, but she's completely harmless."

I cocked a brow, "Oh?"

"Yeah. She isn't mean, she's just a smart ass, that's why I think you two will get along."

I had to chuckle about that. Babette got out and I followed suit, following her up the yard and up the porch. I could hear music being played beneath my feet as soon as we stepped inside; Babette sighed, "Just great."

"What?" I asked.

"That jaggoff is here." She muttered.

I was about to ask who, but it dawned on me, "Oh."

"Good thing he's downstairs." Again she muttered her words. "Follow me."

Babette led me towards the living room, the TV was going and I could hear a girl talking on the phone. She giggled and laughed, and her eyes set on us when we entered; "...My brother is downstairs." The girl, whom I assumed was Kate, said.

"I'm actually here to see you, Katy." Babette's voice was ultra sweet.

Kate frowned, "What for?"

Babette grabbed my arm and pulled me to stand beside her, "Katy, m'dear, meet my friend Naomi."

I waved awkwardly, "Uh, hi."

Kate's eyes sort of lit up when she saw me, but narrowed as well. She sat up, "Hey." She turned her attention toward her phone, "Shan, I'll call you back." She hung it up, causing the old phone's metal to ring as she set it down.

"Naomi is new to town, and she's gonna go to New Trier, too."

Kate hummed, intrigued by me; "How do you know her?" She asked Babette.

"It's a long story." Babette pushed me a bit toward Kate; who was on the couch, "Now, be nice to my friend. She's sweet."

Kate rolled her eyes and waved her hand at Babette, "Shoo, shoo. Leave us be."

Babette giggled, "I'll be back. Don't eat her!"

My eyes widened a bit as I watched her leave the room. I swallowed and looked back at Kate; "Sit down, I won't hurt you." She jested and patted the cushion beside her. "What's your name again?"

"I'm Naomi. Naomi Valentino." I sat down, feeling nervous. Not entirely sure as to why.

"I'm Kate Gutierrez, but I'm sure you know that," she gave a playful roll to her eyes this time. "How do you know Babette?"

"We met at a party two weeks go... Actually," I laughed lamely, "We met here. It was your brother's party."

Kate's eyes widened, "What? He let you in?!"

I jumped back slightly, "Uh, well, Pete invited me."

Her eyes narrowed again, intrigued, "Pete Wentz?" I confirmed with a small nod. "How do you know him?"

"He's my neighbor." I answered simply. "He asked me to come along."

"Are you sleeping with him? Pete's such a slut."

I laughed, "God, no! I am not sleeping with him. In his fuckin' dreams."

We both shared a laugh, making thing comfortable between us. We spent the next hour or so talking and getting to know each other. I told her about Manhattan, and she told me about New Trier and what to expect. She was a lot like Babette in a way; she was opinionated, kind, and funny. I liked her almost immediately; I even told her about keeping my stupid little friendship with Pete a secret from my dad. Kate seemed to agree, and had choice words about Pete herself.

It was nothing new; she spat out words about how much of a jerk he is and how much she hated him and his girlfriend. I let her rant on, wanting someone, other than myself, to bitch about him. After she had finished, Kate let out a laugh and a sigh, "Do you like him?"

I nodded with a shrug, "He's an idiot."

She got to narrowing her eyes again, "Do you have a crush on him?"

The bass under our feet had gone, it had been for awhile, and I barely noticed it right then. I think I noticed it because I was afraid to answer. I was indecisive about crushes, and boys I really liked, but I was certain that I had a deep crush on Pete. "I, uh... Yeah. Yeah, I do. But, I, in no way, don't like it one bit. It's one of those things that irks at you, like a mosquito, you know what I mean?"

Kate giggled, "Yep, I know exactly what you mean, Naomi."

A moment or so later, I heard feet shuffling in and out, pass up. I looked over and saw a hoard of familiar guys leave and shout goodbyes. I frowned as Pete came into sight with Chris; he leaned against the entry frame of the living room, looking at us; "Hey. Can I talk to you?"

"No." Kate answered swiftly.

"I wasn't talking to you," Pete shot back at her. "Navy, just a second."

Kate looked at me, "Navy?"

"It's a weird nickname." I muttered, and then I stood, "I'll be a minute."

Kate sighed, "I'll be counting."

Chris entered the living room with Babette, "Stay out of it." He told her.

Babette smacked his arm, "Hey, we'll kick his ass, alright?"

Chris looked at Pete, "Sorry, dude."

Pete just rolled his eyes and took my hand, leading me away without a word. I felt butterflies at this gesture, making me want to kick myself. I exhaled and followed him towards the kitchen, wondering if I'd regret this.
♠ ♠ ♠
The next one will be better, promise.
In the mean time, check out my new story featuring Patrick Stump (click)