Status: Hopefully a better rewrite (fingers and hearts crossed)

Take This to Your Grave

Underachievers of the world unite

By the time lunch had rolled around, I was exhausted from getting the same routine from teachers. Most were fascinated that I was the one person, in their classes, that was new to the school. I had to get up and introduce myself, which made me blush and want to feign sick, but I didn't. When I sat with my friends, after getting my lunch, I damn near fell asleep on my lunch tray. I hadn't felt so tired in the longest time.

Kate tapped my arm just as I forced myself to eat the fries I had bought; "Naomi, meet the boys."

She said boys, which caused me to look around. Boys; I hadn't been acquainted with teenage boys in a while; aside from Joe Trohman.

Three boys all sat across from me, beside Kate and Shannon. They were all grins when they met me, waving. Kate began to introduce them; Eric was beside her, a lanky boy with shaggy black hair; the next was Seth, he was a bit chubby, but tall, from where he sat beside Eric, he had inches on him. Seth had a beautiful smile with deepened dimples, and the last boy, at the end, beside Shannon, is Derek; he had dark blonde hair that was spiked, and he was lanky, too, with a bit if ache, but not too bad. They were all cute, in their own ways; Kate introduced me as Nay (I totally despise when she calls me that, or anyone really, but it's endearing and there's no damage done) she refuses to call me Navy, like Pete.

"We have History together," Seth said, "Mrs. Harmon is in love with you."

I shook my head, and Jenna began to say; "Because Mr. Dolphus told her about Naomi." She went on to explain my stellar morning in Cal. I didn't bother to but in, I was so tired, I could barely see straight. I was ready for my last two periods, and to sleep in my dad's truck on the way home.

Seth called my name, jolting me from my plans of sleep; "What do you have after lunch?"

"PE." I told him, "With Kate and Alicia."

"Us too!" Derek chimed. "Who's your teacher?"

"Mr. Jinks." I snorted at his name.

"I got him too," Derek informed with a nod, "I had 'im last year, ain't so bad."

"You're about to see me bullshit my way through high school." I told them with a small laugh.

"I know what you mean." Seth said with a sigh.

I lifted my hand, "High-five for the underachievers."

He chuckled and slapped my hand.

•••

PE was swift and easy; Derek, though, was a talker. He was like Kate, only in boy form; I kind of think he liked me. He would only talk to me, and of course, Seth. I didn't ignore him, I indulged him; he made me laugh. He and I talked about movies; more importantly, the movies of Quentin Tarantino.

Afterward, I was shipped off to art class; the last class of the day. I hadn't been so happy for 2:00 PM to roll in. I was in a daze the entire 40 minutes; when school ended, I went off to my locker to put my new art supplies and books away.

"Hey," Kate tugged my arm, "You're hitchin' a ride with us, right?"

I shook my head, "Nah, my dad is waiting out front."

She pouted, "Aww, shucks."

I smiled, "Tomorrow, for sure."

She patted my arm, "Maybe I'll see you later? Babette says she may need us for something tonight."

"Alright, I'll see ya."

I waved as I hurried out the doors of school. I couldn't wait to get into my dad's truck; my feet ached and I was cloudy. I needed a well deserved nap.

As soon as I spotted him, standing outside the truck, just a block and across the street from the school, I ran. I rushed toward him and hugged him; "I miss the house." I said to him.

He patted my back, "I missed you, Naomi."

I looked up at him, "I missed you, too. Why do you always seem to smell like sawdust?"

"Do you forget what I do?" He asked jokingly as he helped me into the truck cab.

"Yeah, but you said you don't cut lumber."

"I don't. I'm still 'round it."

I shrugged, "I give." I muttered, throwing my hands up.

"How was it, then?" He asked after hopping into the driver side.

I ran through my day with him, yawning in between sentences. He joined and asked questions as I fought my ever longing nap. He bought me some food and then we returned home.

I took a nap on the couch for about an hour after eating. My dad woke me up when she told me Babette was on the phone. I got up, taking the cordless; "B, what's up?"

"I really need you, Naomi. Could you come by Chris's?" Babette didn't sound upset, or frantic.

"Uh, sure...gimme 10."

"Thanks."

I hung up with her and set the phone down. My dad came in, handing me a bottle of water; "What'd she need?"

"I dunno. I'm gonna go over to Kate's." I pulled my shoes on, "I'll be back, dad."

He gave a small nod, "Be careful."

I took the bottle with me as I left, jogging down the pathway and down the block. I was surprised with how fast my energy picked up after waking abruptly. I got towards the house, and was surprised to see Pete out front; I stopped short, right across the street, when I noticed Leah there. The two were sharing a cigarette; my organs sunk. I wanted to rush over and demand an explanation, but I rationally thought before taking off full speed. I swallowed, watching them speak; I began to walk, ignoring their faces, my eyes cast down, hands shoved into my pockets.

I felt her dirty eyes on me, but I ignored her. I was so happy Babette came out when I entered the gate; "Naomi!" She looked so happy to see me, "C'mere, it's important."

I rushed up the porch, and inside the house; the entire house smelled of home cooked food. Their mom, Viv Gutierrez was home, a rarity, cooking (also a rarity). She greeted me shortly as Babette took my hand and tugged me up the stairs and towards the large hall bathroom.

Her makeup kit and Chris's camera were on the counter, "What's going on?" I asked.

"My job depends on this," she breathed, "I need a model. You must be my model."

My eyes widened, "W-what? Me? I don't model."

"Just a face model, girly. I promise, you won't have to make an appearance anywhere." She grinned and told me to hop onto the counter beside her kit.

"Why me, though? Kate should be perfect...she has the exotic look." I reasoned as Kate used a makeup remover wipe and took off my light makeup from this morning.

"You look like Elsa Lanchester, Naomi." Babette said, after telling me to shut my eyes. "You've got large eyes, and that mole by your mouth like Cindy Crawford," she was stretching it now.

"My head might explode if you keep blowing smoke up my butt, Babe."

She giggled, "I'm serious. You're gorgeous and these palettes go great with your look. I just need a few shots of you for my portfolio, and you're free. It won't take long."

I relented, "Alright, Babette. I trust you."

She gave a hum of approval. "Speaking of trust, you saw that skanky little bitch out there, didn't'ya?"

I knew exactly whom she was speaking of; "Yeah. What's she doing here?"

Babette shrugged, "She just showed up. The guys were downstairs practicing, and she comes running in like she lives here. I don't even do that and I practically live here!" She grumbled, "Anyway, Chris told me he and Pete caught her with some guy...doing the deed in his van. What a slut." She hocked.

I frowned, "She's asking for forgiveness."

"Pete'll be the biggest idiot on the planet if he gives in to her."

"I know." I mumbled.

With my eyes shut, Babette applied liquid eyeliner and eyeshadow. She never specified the color.

"I'm sorry about him, you know what I mean?" She said after a moment. "You like him, he likes you, but he's old and a dumbass."

I stifled a small laugh, "Yeah."

She finished both eyes, "Open 'em. Don't talk too much, I'm gonna do ya cheeks."

"Wait," I said a she held my jaw gently in her French manicured fingers, "He gave me something yesterday."

She smiled faintly, "I saw, it's nice."

"Pete...he'll never love me like I love him." I told her.

Babette frowned, "Then he doesn't live up to your standards, Naomi. If he can't see such a good and amazing girl living right under his nose then he's a total...ignoramus."

I smiled, "Thanks, B."

She smiled rightfully, "You're welcome. Now, just hum when I ask you something."
♠ ♠ ♠
Again, this is a filler, with a minimal amount of Pete; but you got introduced to more characters.
Also, sorry it took so long to get this up; I fell asleep and then I wrote a chapter for my P. Stump story, and then I fell in love with TBS (taking back sunday).
BTW (speaking in abbreviations now) I wrote this one shot based off one of their songs, but I decided to add it to this story as a chapter; it's way off in the future, though, and I think it is brilliant.

Okay, enough rambling. I'd love to hear what you think of Pete thus far.
xoali