Status: Hopefully a better rewrite (fingers and hearts crossed)

Take This to Your Grave

Far from little

Kate and I got our food and went to our table. Our friends all chatted, and I looked over at Alicia, who was avoided my glance. I didn't care, really, I just turned my attention towards Seth. He was talking about some band, and was asking if I knew about them. "Lifetime," he said, "They're gonna be at the Chicago theater."

"Oh, really?" I blinked, "When?"

"October."

"Oh, wow." I thought about Pete; "How much are the tickets?"

"I dunno. They go on sale on Saturday. Me and Derek are gonna go get some."

"I gotta tell Pete," I said to myself.

Seth's face totally changed; the look of a frown graced his lips. I mentally kicked myself; "I, uh, I'm not a big fan." I said quickly, "Are you?"

Seth nodded, "Yeah, I love Lifetime."

He smiled again, thank the heavens. He has such a cute smile, too.

"Do you wanna come?" Seth asked after a few seconds.

"To the concert or to pick up tickets?" I laughed softly.

"Well, both." He chuckled. "Ya'know, if you want?"

"I'll go with you to buy them. I'm not a real fun person to take to a concert. Unless they're in a boy band and can dance, it ain't my kind of show."

Seth laughed, "You like boy bands?"

"Yes, I do. Is that such a surprise?"

He nodded, "It is, actually. You're wearing a Morrissey t-shirt and you're like the coolest girl I've ever met."

I blushed, "I'm not the first girl to own a Morrissey t-shirt."

"You probably are," Eric cut in. "Seth notices shit like that."

Seth's pale cheeks burned, too. We both laughed, and then he scooted forward; "I'd like you to come, Naomi. I think you'd have fun."

"Sure." I began to warn him; "But, if New Kids On the Block ever get back together, watch out."

Seth shook his head, "I'd gladly come to see you flip out and dance."

I stuck my hand out, and he shook it with a small smirk. "It's a deal, buddy."


The rest of the school day went by quickly; during the last 35 minutes, Seth and I played horse before the rain started. We all had ushered into the separate locker rooms and changed; afterward, we continued to talk on the way to our lockers as the dismissal bell rang.

Kate smirked at us as we approached my locker; "Hmm, looks like two peas in a pod."

I rolled my eyes at her and shook my wet hair back, "Shut up, Kate."

She giggled, "I'm kidding."

I opened my locker and grabbed my jacket and rucksack, "Ignore her."

"I do." Seth muttered in a scoff.

"Seth and Naomi, sittin' in a tree," Kate sang, "K-I-S-S-I-N-G."

I shut my locker, "So original."

Seth laughed and gave me a swift side hug, "I'll see you, Naomi. Bye Kate."

"Bye Seth." Kate and I both replied.

We watched Seth head off towards Eric's locker down the hall. Kate took my arm and began to lead me away, "Is he your boyfriend now?"

"No." I said, trying I extinguish her hopes.

"And why not? He's yummy."

I laughed, "Then you date him."

"He likes you." She said as she paused near the exit to the parking lot. "I need my umbrella."

"It isn't pouring." I said.

"I think your love life is affecting your sight and sense, Naomi." She pulled her purple polka dot umbrella from her backpack and popped it open, "Let's go."

I followed under Kate, nearly crouching down to get underneath the umbrella. "You're too short," I said to her.

"We're almost to my car anyway."

We got inside her car, thick rain drops pelting the hood and roof. Her umbrella was in the backseat along with our bags; Kate started the car and took off carefully.

"You have to tell me the truth, Naomi," Kate began once we were on the road towards her house. "Do you like Seth?"

"Yes, I do."

"Then why won't you date him?"

"He hasn't asked."

She sucked her teeth in excitement, "What?! What about Saturday?"

I chuckled, "Going with him to buy tickets at a box office isn't a date."

"Well, put the moves on 'im."

I rolled my eyes, "Easy for you to say, I'm not confident in that area."

"How did you talk to Pete, then?"

"He talked to me first." I explained. "Then we just became friends. We aren't dating."

"Want me to say something? Get the ball rolling?"

"No, Kate."

"Fine," She said insouciantly. "We'll see what Babette had to say."

I groaned outwardly, "Lemme do this on my own."

"I just want you to be happy, Naomi...get over Pete Wentz."

"You say that as if he's some fictional character I've grown attached to."

"He practically is." She spat out in a laugh.

"I'm not under Pete. We're friends, that's all."

"Sure, sure." Again, she was insouciant.

I turned on the radio, scanning the stations until we got to we house. The rain had let up, so there was no need for her fabulous umbrella. We jogged up the porch and inside, and as usual, the floor was pounding with bass; I knew it was a stereo and not the band; they never had consistent rhythm. Kate and I went into the living room, I paused when I saw Pete sleeping in the recliner. Kate laughed, "Idiot."

I shook my head and sat with her; "Where's Babette?" I pouted guilelessly, "I miss her."

Kate stood up, "Gimme one second."

I shook my head as she prepared to jump up and down until the lights down in the basement flickered and Chris would turned the music down. Within a minute the music stopped and then I heard footsteps race up the stairs. Babette appeared first, squealing when she saw me; "Naomi!"

I stood up and was quickly engulfed in a hug by Babette. I hugged her back, "Hey, B."

She squeezed me, "I've missed you!"

"You missed her face." I heard Pete say behind me.

Babette sucked her teeth, "Fuck off, midget." She let me go, "Anyway, Naomi, I did miss you. You're my little buddy."

"Far from little." I mumbled to myself.

I noticed how tall I was getting; my legs has grown an inch in a night; that's what I felt like. I was almost as talk as Babette, and she was 5'7, 6'ft in heels.

"I want to show you some of the new eyeshadows I got," she took my hand, "C'mon, Katy."

My head nearly spun as they tugged me up the stairs, leaving Chris and Pete behind. I was thrusted back into my small life with Babette and Kate. Even if it was for a bit, it felt like I hadn't seen Babette in forever; she had become a staple in my life.

I hung out with them until a half hour before my dad was to get home. Babette offered me a ride since she was going home; I said goodbye to Kate, and then I went and waited for Babette. Upon doing so, I watched Pete come in from the front porch, tossing a cigarette out behind him. He smiled at me and looked around; Babette and Chris were off in the kitchen and Kate was upstairs already chatting away on the phone.

"Dad says I can't see you anymore." I told him with a small laugh.

"I expected that. I don't expect anything to change between us." Pete smirked.

"Yeah, you're right."

Pete again looked around, and then leaned in close to me. He gave me a kiss on my lips, a small peck, making my cheek warm. "I'll see you, Navy."

"See ya, Pete."

He went off into the living room as Babette came out. She led the way out the door and down the pathway to her car; we both climbed in and then she looked at me with a sly smile. "I heard Pete tell Chris that you guys kissed."

I wasn't surprised, and I also knew I could trust Babette with my life.

"We did."

She started up the car and drove forward slowly; "How was it?"

"Well, what did he say?"

"He was tryin' whisper, ya'know and hide it, but I heard him. He said it was the first time he took a hit."

"A hit?"

Babette giggled, "The first time he got high. He said it was like he was floating on air."

My face got hot and I rubbed my palms on my lap. Babette patted my arm as I began tell her; "I felt the same way. My heart was beating so fast."

"Aw! Naomi, that's so sweet!"

"He wouldn't do it at first," I began to tell her everything. This was something I couldn't tell Kate because I know she would somehow tell everyone around us. Babette would keep my secrets, only tease me a bit and tell me how much she adored my innocence.

"Pete's a little dork," she said after I finished telling her. "One day, you'll have to give him that $5, Naomi."

"You'll be my maid of honor, so you'll see it happen." I laughed.

She smiled and nodded happily; "I hope so."
♠ ♠ ♠
These chapter titles suck...