Status: Hopefully a better rewrite (fingers and hearts crossed)

Take This to Your Grave

Who is Seth?

The rest of the week went by smoothly; though, I was still getting that cold shoulder from Alicia, I steadily hung out with my friends; I hadn't seen Pete since Tuesday, but Babette told me he was straying from Leah a lot more; lucky, lovestruck me.

Things between my dad and I were better, I had told him about Seth, and was met with a weary look. It was Friday evening; he and Amy were about to go out, and he asked what I was doing the next afternoon.

"Who is Seth?" He leaned against the counter while I made myself a bowl of cereal.

"This kid from school, I told you. He wants me to go with him to pick up tickets." I picked up my bowl and faced him.

"I want to meet him." He insisted.

"We aren't going on a date," I stuck my spoon into my cereal, "But you can meet him. He's gonna pick me around 10."

"Where are you gonna go after?"

I shrugged, "I don't know...probably to one of our friends' place."

My dad smiled and then he came around the counter and kissed the top of my head, "Be good. Make sure you don't overwork your cast."

I gave a nod, "See ya, dad."

My dad waved, leaving me alone. I listened to his truck pull away as I ate my cereal. I finished up and went up to my room to clean up and start laundry. I wasn't shocked when I saw a shadow at my window and then heard his knock.

I went over, tossing dirty clothes into my hamper along the way. I pushed open the window and let Pete in; "Long time no see." He said with a shiver, "It's fuckin' cold outside."

I shut the window and then the blinds, "What brings you by?"

"Show tonight," he grinned, "C'mon."

I scoffed, "I can't go to a show tonight."

"Yes you can," Pete mimicked my voice. "I saw your dad leave and I figured he'd be out for a while and you can accompany me to a show."

"I can't, Pete," I told him disdainfully, "I gotta get up early tomorrow."

"For what?" He was insouciant in his tone. He went and sat on my bed and fell back, looking at the ceiling.

"I'm going with my friend Seth to get Lifetime tickets," I explained. "I told Chris to tell you that they were going on sale."

Pete sat up and blinked at me; his body looked thick due to the layer of a hooded sweatshirt under his unzipped hoodie. "I know about the tickets, Joe's picking me up some. Who's Seth?"

"My friend from school," I sat down in my swiveled desk chair. "I'm not going to buy a ticket, I'm just going with him to get his tickets to keep him company."

"Does he like you?" Pete smirked.

I suddenly felt on the spot, more so that he was teasing me. I shrugged, trying to hold the attitude in my voice, "I think so."

Pete's eyes had this look to them, a devious type of look. He tilted his head; "Do you like him?"

My stomach knotted and the words fell from my mouth, "Yeah, I do. He's cute."

The look on Pete's face was one I had seen a billion times before. He laughed, the corners of his eyes squinting and his teeth showed. I rolled my eyes and relaxed; "Shut up." I said.

He laughed, "What kind of name is Seth?"

I frowned, "He's a nice guy, you should meet him. You two have a lot in common; he likes Lifetime and he likes me."

Pete's laughter died, "We've got good taste, that's all."

"I think you'd get along."

"Me and teenagers don't get along," I smirked at him. "-Me and teenage boys."

"Joe's younger than me!" I exclaimed with a laugh.

"You know what I mean." He said shortly.

"You just don't like guys who like me."

"That's not true," he began with that lovable stutter of his, "Joe likes you."

I mimicked back at him, "You know what I mean."

Pete smiled a little, "Okay, you caught me, Navy. I don't like dudes who like you."

"Admit it," I grew cocky finally calling on his bluff, "You're jealous."

"I'm not jealous." He said incredulously, but smiled.

"Yeah-huh! You're jealous."

"Why would I be jealous?"

"Because he gets to go to school with me and he gets to see me."

Pete laughed, "You got me there, Naomi."

"You don't need to be jealous," I began with a small smirk, "I won't flaunt my new boy toy in your face."

Pete shook his head humorously at me, "You're cute."

We grew silent after a moment, and then Pete got up, took my arm and pulled me up and over to him; he sat back on my bed and sat me onto his lap. I noticed how he smelled like the Chicago winter air and sweat; he's notorious for his long periods without showers. For some reason this never bothered me; I hated to shower, too, I guess that's why I was so okay with it.

He wrapped his arms around my middle and pressed his forehead to my arm, "You smell nice...like fruit." He mumbled, his lips brushing against my arm.

Goosebumps invaded my skin. "You smell like winter and sweat."

The breath from his laugh caused me to shiver; "Is that good or bad?"

"Good."

Pete hummed and then sighed, "Do you really like this Seth guy?" He asked this out of the blue.

"Yeah, I do." I told him the truth.

It's weird how he and Babette were the only two people in the world I couldn't -or better, wouldn't allow myself, to lie to. I trusted them, I figure. I knew they wouldn't judge me if I told the truth.

"If you like him, I like him." I knew he was lying, but I didn't care.

"If we started dating," I began with a lick of my lips, "Would you stop talking to me?"

Pete shook his head, his nose rubbing against my skin, "No. You're my best friend. Why would I do that?"

"I don't know." I replied softly.

"I'd never do it on purpose, Naomi. I care too much." He pressed his lips against the skin of my arm. "Plus, I've kissed you, I couldn't live without those lips of yours."

I giggled and then I kissed his forehead, "Thanks, Peter."

He leaned up and kissed my lips softly, just a slow, soft, heart warming kiss. When we parted his arms squeezed around me; "I'd rather stay here than go to a show."

"Good, just be quiet if my dad comes back."

The rest of the night, Pete and I laid on my bed, door locked, talking and listening to music. My dad hadn't come home until really late, but by then, Pete was asleep in my bed and my dad had brought Amy home and the two retired to his room without any other noise than the plump of them crashing on the mattress. I made sure to set my alarm so I could usher Pete out before my dad woke up.

I hated that Pete had to leave. He looked so peaceful in between my sheets and blanket. He looked as if he finally got some rest, lying there beside me. I had, had my desk lamp on and traced the unfinished lines of his tattoos and tried to memorize them. I was impressed by them, but laughed to myself when I remembered how Pete told me he was too much of a wuss to finish them because they hurt so much. I know I was over my head, but I wanted to get a matching tattoo with him, something that'd remind me of Pete until I was old and grey.

When he finally woke up, the alarm hadn't gone off. I stirred a bit, sleep hadn't pulled me fully under, I was sleepy. He sat up, looked down at me and murmured something along the lines of, "I'll see you later, Navy" or "I'll be back later maybe". I didn't catch it too well, but I gave a nod and let him kiss my cheek before he started for the window. I rolled over in his spot as I heard the window shut softly, and gripped the pillow he had slept on; I could smell him there.