Status: Hopefully a better rewrite (fingers and hearts crossed)

Take This to Your Grave

Punks, jerks and a sweetheart

Seth got to my house around 10:30; my dad had opened the door and was talking to him while I put my shoes on. I jogged down the stairs, seeing my dad and Seth talking happily. They seemed to hit it off right away; "Hey." I interrupted, "You love birds getting it on, yeah?"

My dad scoffed, "You're not funny."

Seth was chuckling and turned to me, "We were talking about the Bears."

"He could go on," I told him. "I'm ready, so let's get out before he gets on about the Yankees."

My dad smiled, "Be back before dark, we're gonna have dinner at Amy's."

"Alright," I patted my dad's arm, "Love you."

"Love you. Be careful." He warned.

"We will, Mr. Valentino." Seth reassured.

"I trust you, kid." My dad called as we left out the door; I wasn't sure if he was talking to me or Seth.

Seth didn't seem to notice it, he just waved after, and I shut the door. I followed him down to the curb where his car was parked; he had the typical teenage car; a little two door Honda. "I wish I had a car." I said aloud.

"Gas is a bitch." Seth said with a laugh.

We climbed in and Seth took off; "You can fuck with the radio. I got all kinds of CDs...I don't have any Backstreet Boys or whatever."

I laughed softly, "It's cool. If you have like the Deftones or The Smiths, I'm all good."

"I've got a mix of both somewhere in that case in the center console." He instructed, "It's got Derek's name on it."

I opened the black CD case and shifted through the discs. He had a lot of metal bands and then a mixture of 60's pop music. I found the mix CD; Seth told me to take out the CD already in the player and slip it in. The first song was Stretch Out and Wait, so I skipped it. The next was Knife Party by the Deftones.

"Fuck yeah, I love this song." I told him.

"You're definitely not like your friends," Seth admired. "You look like them, but you've got a different mind set."

"I'm tellin' you, buddy, it's the whole Catholic rebellion thing," I countered, "I wanted to be different -piss my mom off."

"Well worth it, right?"

"Yes, sir." I said delightedly.

The rest of the ride to the theatre was filled with music and Seth making me laugh. When we actually got there, the line was growing, and Seth parked around the side. As we got out, Seth met me and took hold of my wrist, and then my hand. I had frozen a bit, but relaxed when I had seen that Seth shown not a shred of worry or even seemed to notice he was holding my hand. I was acting like a little girl on the inside.

We got in line and then he let go of my hand, facing me, "Alright, I gotta ask you somethin', Naomi."

I managed to calm down; "What's up?"

"You don't have a boyfriend, do you?"

Seth looked so confident and that crooked, dimpled smile was killing me. He has such a glorious smile.

"No. Who would be my boyfriend anyway?" I laughed off.

"You and Kate always talk about that Pete guy..." He trailed.

"Pete's my friend," I said nonchalantly, "He is far from being my boyfriend."

Seth's confident demeanor grew, he exhaled with small relief; "Oh, cool. Do you wanna go out tonight?"

I smiled, my cheeks burning, "Uh, sure. Where?"

"We could go see my friends's band play at this party and then we could go eat or somethin'." He suggested, stepping back with the line.

"Yeah, alright." I nodded, but then I advised, "Don't tell my dad about Pete."

"Tell him what?" He asked curiously.

"My dad knows Pete and I were friends...he hates him, so, y'know, saying anything about Pete will blow my dad's head off." I laughed dumbly.

Seth chuckled, "Don't worry, Naomi."

Just as I was going to say something else, I felt a hand on my arm. I turned my head and saw Joe. I smiled, "Hey!"

Joe grinned back, smoothing his messy hair back; he dyed it back to brown. "Hey Naomi. You're getting Lifetime tickets, too?"

"Yeah--I mean, not really." I answered. "I'm here with my friend Seth," I looked to Seth and began, "Seth this is Joe--"

"We know each other," Joe said shortly.

My smile faltered, "Oh."

"We go to school together," Seth replied.

I tilted my head; unbeknownst to me Joe went to New Trier with us. "You do? How come I've never seen you?"

Joe shrugged, his tongue flicking at his silver lip ring, "I'm a Junior."

I blinked, "Oh, shit, yeah. I'm sorry, Joe. I wish I would've known, I would've said hi to you."

Joe smiled and shrugged again, "It's cool, Naomi. Did Pete tell you that Arma Angelus is playing tonight at a warehouse party?"

I shook my head, "No." I looked at Seth, who was ready to interrupt, "Do you know Arma Angelus?"

"Yeah, my friend is playing before them tonight."

I smiled happily, giddy, "Oh, cool! I get to see Arma and your friends's band."

Seth nodded, looking displeased.

I turned back to Joe, "Hey, uh, you can cut in line with us. The line is getting long."

Joe shook his head with a laugh, "It's okay, Naomi."

"Oh, c'mon, I insist. It's getting fuckin' cold." I grabbed his arm, "Get in here, Joseph Trohman."

He laughed softly, blushing, "Thanks, Naomi."

"No problem."

I exhaled quietly, Joe got quiet, as did Seth. It was a bit awkward, so I decided to relax the tension. "So, who else is playing tonight?"

Joe began to speak, smiling and engaging me about the bands. That's the one thing that Joe and I really talked about besides toys and Star Wars. He and I were good friends, and I really do like him, even if he was a little jerk like Pete, sometimes.

Seth barely spoke as the line moved up the box office. He let Joe and I ramble until we got the tickets. I waited for Joe after he got his and hugged him swiftly, "I'll see you tonight." I told him.

Joe gave a nod, "I'll tell Pete you'll be there."

"You don't have to." I stressed lowly.

He shrugged, "Whatever you say, Naomi." He patted my arm, "See ya."

I waved, "See ya, Joe."

Seth and I started off around the building in silence. He was relaxed now, not so tense; "How do you know Joe? Through Pete?"

"Yeah. He and Chris, both." I answered.

Seth shook his head, "I don't like 'im."

"Why?" I asked with a small frown.

"He's a jerk." Seth laughed.

"Joe's sweet." I defended, "He's a punk, y'know."

"I know." Seth answered. "You like everyone, don't you?"

"I try to." I said as we stopped by his car. "I try and see the good in people."

Seth smiled at me, again winning me over, "You're a sweetheart."

I cocked a brow; "If you say so."