Status: Hopefully a better rewrite (fingers and hearts crossed)

Take This to Your Grave

Naomi vs. the Universe

As soon as I found the large table with fountains of booze, I saw Seth ready to pour himself a drink. I stood by and grabbed the red party cup from him; "You're driving." I told him.

Seth grinned, "Shut up, Naomi," he snickered, "You're gonna drink? Have you ever even drank before?"

I smirked, "Do I have to keep repeating that I went to Catholic school?"

Seth looked all too willing to let me drink; he poured beer from a keg into my cup. I grimaced, "Just beer?"

"What's your poison?"

"Somethin' stronger than a buzz, Emilio Estevez."

"Who?" He raised a brow.

"Have you not seen the Breakfast Club?" I questioned him dumbly.

Seth shook his head.

"I really should smack you." I muttered, "Fill up the cup."

Seth obliged me and I was soon chugging my drink. As I did so, I felt a hand on my shoulder; I looked to see Kate; "What the hell do you think you're doing?"

"Drinking." I told her.

Kate grabbed my cup, "Are you stupid? Your dad will kill you."

I frowned, "So what?"

"I'd rather have you alive than dead, Naomi." She took my hand and looked at Seth, "Naomi isn't allowed to drink."

Seth laughed, "I wasn't aware you were her mommy."

"Fuck off." She spat at him. "Naomi," her eyes focused back on me, "I'm serious."

I rolled my eyes, "Fine."

Kate pulled me away, towards the other end of the table. She handed me a cherry soda; "You'll thank me later."

"No I won't."

Kate shook her head at me, "Would you rather I let you get drunk and possibly have you get taken advantage of?"

I frowned, thinking, "...No."

"Good; so neither of us are going to drink. If we wanted to, we'd go to my house and raid my brother's fridge."

I knew that Kate only wanted to look out for me. She knew that I would regret it if I had been stupid. So, I hugged her after and thanked her.

"Told ya so." She sang in my ear.

"That's because you're right." I said.

"I know," she smugly grinned at me. "Let's go and watch the bands."

Kate and I abandoned the table and moved through the crowd. The stage was packed with a band thrashing around; the crowd too. Kate and I swayed a bit, bobbing our heads to the music, losing ourselves. I had forgotten about Seth and Pete. I let myself go just because I could.

Another band came on, and somehow Seth had found me. He wasn't drunk, but you could smell the beer he had, had; he put his arm around me and leaned in close to my ear; "This is my friends' band."

I didn't respond, only gave a nod and watched the band come on. They played loud music that was similar to Arma Angelus, but had no name of their own. I didn't like it too much, but I didn't say anything about it. Throughout the set, Seth kept his arm around me, and I didn't mind it. I was slowly forgetting, or shining over the mess and the way I was feeling earlier; I was a bit happy.

When the band finished, I debated about watched Arma Angelus. It didn't take long to decided; the moment I saw Leah's face, I turned my head and beckoned Seth; "I've gotta get home."

He frowned, "Already?"

"Yeah, it's late."

Seth obligated, "Lemme see if I gotta take anyone else home."

He unwrapped his arm and trailed off; Kate and I moved out of the crowd, "You goin' home?" I asked.

"No, I gotta wait for Chris. He doesn't have a key and I gotta give it to him."

"I might have Seth's car, you want me to pick you up?"

"Maybe." She told me. "I'll call you."

Kate and I hugged swiftly as Seth approached and we said our goodbyes. I followed Seth out, no one following behind us and to his car. "You still have my keys?" He asked.

"Yeah. I'm driving, right."

"Yep."

We got in the car and he looked at my hand, chuckling, "Your cast is funny."

"Ha, ha." I muttered.

"It's cute, though. I like the drawings."

"Babette did them." I answered.

He hummed, unenthused. I drove off, starting down the street; "We should go eat." He suggested.

I looked at my wrist watch, it was 10:30. "Okay, but we can't stay out past midnight."

"I know." He smiled lazily at me.

"Food'll sober you up too so I won't have to keep your car."

"Smart."

We drove to a diner near his house, and stopped in. It was quiet, you'd expect it to be so late on a Saturday. We took a booth near the front of the diner with the window. We sat and talked a bit before ordering; Seth took my hand, touching the smooth gauze wrapped around the webs of my fingers; "Your dad is strict, ain't he?"

"He isn't strict," I said softly, "Just protective. He doesn't want me to do something stupid."

"Yeah, he told me not to get you into trouble."

I smirked, "And getting me to drink was what?"

He chuckled, "I was testing you, Naomi."

"You're a bold face liar," I narrowed my eyes with a laugh, "Don't try and lie to me. I am the world's greatest."

"Are you really?"

"Yes I am." I pulled my hand from his grasp and crossed my arms over my chest.

Seth sat back, smiling at me, "You just keep reeling me in, Naomi. I didn't think I could like you anymore than I do now."

I rolled my eyes, "Sweet talker, too?"

"I'm being honest." He confessed. "I'm sincere. You're like the whole package to me; you're gorgeous, you've got amazing taste in music and you're so sure of yourself. I like you."

I blushed deeply, shaking my head, "Shut up..." I murmured; my arms dropped and my palms cupped my cheeks.

"Now you're acting like a girl." He laughed softly, teasing me.

"I am a girl." I gave a playful glare.

"I don't doubt that."

"You're cute," I fought my shyness and my blush. "I like you, too."

"Does this count as a date?" He asked suddenly.

"I suppose so."

"I want to it again." He bit at the corner of his lip.

I was all to eager to reply, "Me too."

"I was hoping you would say that."

The next half hour Seth and I talked and ate, and then he was going to drive me home. I made sure that he was sobered up; for over 15 minutes I made him recite the alphabet in old ways and have him walk a straight line. When I was sure he was good, I gave him the keys and let him drive.

We passed the party, and I remembered Kate; "Hey, wait," I said to him, "I gotta see if Kate's got a ride."

Seth parked across the street, "I'll be quick. I'm just gonna check if Chris is there."

Seth gave a nod and let me go; I hurried across the street, the party still thumping and alive. I went in and looked for either Kate or Chris; I spotted Joe, and hurried over, grabbing his arm. He looked happy to see me, but I cut him off before he could say anything; "Is Kate here?"

"Uh, yeah, she's over there." Joe pointed forward.

I looked, but instead of seeing Kate, I saw Leah, and she saw me. The look on her face was one of extreme annoyance, distaste; as if she had something sick in her mouth. I dodged her look and looked for Kate; whom was standing behind her.

I turned back to Joe; "Thanks; I'm sort of in a rush, sorry."

He waved it off, "It's cool."

I patted his shoulder and started over, surpassing Leah. I took hold of Kate's arm and she turned, "Oh! I thought you left?"

"I did, we went to eat. Do you want a ride?"

"Yeah. Lemme go tell Chris."

I nodded, "I'll be outside."

I parted with her and began to leave; I didn't see Leah again. I went outside and waved to Seth; he was standing outside his car and waved back. I rocked on my heels and waited; not a second later, here came Leah and her friends. I gave an audible groan as she said something and made her way toward me. "The fuck are you doing here?"

I chose to ignore her, because I did not want to deal with her. She got closer, "Hello? Are you deaf?!"

Her face was close to mine and her chest bumped against my arm; "Go away." I spat at her with annoyance.

"Go away?" She spat back.

I raised my palms up to my chest, "Yeah, go away." I used a bit of force and I shoved her shoulders.

Leah stumbled back, "You little bitch!"

We both stood a few feet apart, lions ready to attack. I was more of hesitant to, but her friends began to egg her on about kicking my ass and I felt no choice. I knew I had dug myself a hole. All hell was about to break loose.