Status: Hopefully a better rewrite (fingers and hearts crossed)

Take This to Your Grave

The Other Half

Leah's snarl was monstrous, you could hear her growl, ready to shred me apart. I knew I looked like such an asshole just gaping at her like nothing. I knew that I would have to fight her for the simple fact that she did not like me. Talking doesn't come across to immature girls like Leah. You had to fight your enemies, the people that you do not like because that's imbedded in her head.

I winced as she charged at me, but I felt hands pick me up and then turn me, flopping me over their shoulder. I was over Pete's shoulder, belly down, facing the ground and people's shoes. "What the fuck?" Leah and I both said; she was pissed and I was scared because my face was so close to the ground.

"What the hell are you doing?!" She screamed dramatically.

"Leave her alone, she's got a broken hand." I heard Pete say.

"And she's about to throw up!" I added, "Put me down!" Pete slowly and hesitantly set me on my feet; I got a little head rush; "Jesus."

"Why are you defending her?" Leah snarled still.

"Because she's a fuckin' kid, and you're 24 years old." Pete muttered, "Leave her the fuck alone, she didn't do shit to you."

I was surprised that he took up for me; my stomach somersaulted. I exhaled, and looked at him; out of my peripheral vision I saw Seth; "Naomi, you alright?"

I nodded; the crowd was coming in and out of the party. I saw Kate after looking over at everyone; her brow raised; "The hell is going on?"

"Kate, take Naomi home." Pete said and licked his lips.

"I was." Seth answered. "C'mon, Naomi, Kate."

Kate looked confused as we all began to cross the street; I looked back at Pete; his back was turned to me. I swallowed and looked forward, getting into the car.

The 3 of us didn't speak, not until we got to Kate's; "Call my dad for me, tell him I'll be home soon."

"For sure." Kate said, "Are you alright?"

"I'm perfect." I smiled at her.

She smiled back, "Goodnight, Rocky."

"Rocky?"

"Always pickin' a fight with someone."

I shook my head and waved to her. Seth took off after Kate went inside. He drove slowly, "So, what was that about?"

"I don't know." I answered shortly. "That girl is fuckin' crazy."

Seth sighed, "Don't lie to me. Are you, like, having some affair with Pete?"

I laughed, "I may lie a lot, but I am not lying when I say he and I are just friends. I've never had sex with him. I've never had sex with anyone, as a matter of fact."

Seth looked at me, "What?"

"Yeah," I smirked, "Just because I talk big shit doesn't mean I know and have done everything."

"Wasn't expecting it from you."

"Do I look like a skank or somethin'?"

"No," he spoke smoothly, "I'm just surprised is all, you're fuckin' hot."

"Flattery does not go a long way with me." I sang to him.

"I'm being honest." He famously quoted.

"Uh-huh. You're still a teenage boy, and teenage boys only think with their cocks."

"Not all the time." He chuckled.

"Most of it."

"So? I like you all the time." He grinned now.

"Stop being a pervert, it's very unbecoming."

Seth laughed softly, "Okay, okay."

5 minutes later, we got to my house, where my dad was outside on the porch. He was drinking something, and I was glad he was out there; I didn't want to have this awkward goodbye with Seth, or possibly kiss him. I conjured up my best fake nervous laugh, "My dad..."

Seth nodded, "Talk to you tomorrow?"

"Yeah," I replied softly and opened the door, "Thanks for inviting me."

"No problem. We'll do it again...minus the drama."

I cocked a brow before laughing, "Totally. Goodnight."

He waved, "Night, Naomi."

I got out the car, listening as he car drove away, and my eyes set on my dad. He smirked at me, "No goodnight kiss."

I looked at my wrist watch, "It's 10 to midnight, what the hell are you doing out of bed?"

He smiled, sipping from his soda can, "Waiting for my kid."

I led the way in, "I'm so tired."

"How was the party?"

"Uh, ya'know...a party."

Before I could go up the stairs, he took my arm. I spun around and face him; he looked at me intently, "Good job."

"I told you I wasn't gonna drink, dad. Can I go to bed now?"

"Yeah," he patted my back, "Goodnight."

"Goodnight." I murmured as I jogged up the stairs.

I took my clothes off and sunk deep into my bed. My only thought as I fell asleep was Pete. I smiled at the way I hung over his shoulder; he didn't let Leah pummel me. He saved my ass. I had to be grateful; I really wanted to thank him, see him.

I couldn't wait to.


The next afternoon, I was at Kate's hanging out as usual. I was hoping to see Pete, but hasn't just yet. The house was quiet, it was just the two of us lazing around. Around later afternoon, when it was time for me to go, Chris and Pete showed up.

My hear slipped into my throat and I bit at my lip. Pete waved as I grabbed my coat, preparing to leave. Kate and I said short goodbyes, she stayed lying on the couch. I zipped up my coat and walked over towards the door; Pete hung by the hall, by the basement door.

"I'll drive you home." He said softly, "I'm leaving anyway."

I gave a nod, "Thanks."

Pete shouted bye to Chris and then followed me out. He pulled the hood up on my coat; "It's gonna rain."

"I'll be in a car before it starts." I said.

He chuckled, "It's drizzling, Navy."

I hummed with a shrug, "Whatever you say."

"If you got sick, I'd feel bad." He told me as we walked down to his beat up car.

We climbed in, Pete took a minute before he started to drive. He didn't drive me home, he drove a few blocks the other direction. "Thanks...for last night." I said to him.

"Last night?" He asked.

"For saving my ass."

"Oh..." He seemed clueless, "I was fuckin' stoned last night."

I looked at him, "You were stoned?"

He nodded, "I took a bunch of shit last night to get Leah out of my head."

"Why are you with her?"

Pete looked severely unprepared for that. He continued to look straight ahead, "Uh...occupy my time."

"Why don't you at least find someone you actually like?"

He huffed a small laugh, "I did, but she isn't even 17 yet."

I blushed, "3 more weeks. But, you still have to wait a whole year."

Pete shook his head, "No I don't. 17 is a legal consenting age in Illinois."

My brows shot up, "Are you joking?"

He shook his head, "Nope."

I looked forward feeling a jolt of anxiety and pure joy, "Whoa. How did you find that out?"

"Andy's taking a pre-law and I, uh, told him about how you and your dad butted heads awhile back," Pete looked over at me once and then back at the road, "He said that you can consent to a relationship when you're 17. You can legally move out too."

Again, I was shock, more so surprised. "Wow..."

"I'm not tellin' you to pressure you or nothin', Naomi." He reassured. "It just came out, ya'know?"

"Yeah. I understand, Pete."

"You never have to be with me if you don't want to be." The intone of his voice made my heart flutter.

I wanted to tell him how badly I did want to be with him. To express how badly I wanted to sleep next to him and kiss him each night. I wish he could read my mind so I wouldn't sound so stupid trying to explain myself.

I thought of the only thing I could say; "You don't even understand what it means to love someone so much."

He took a turn, and slowed hear an empty park, "Yes I do."

"I meant, a person like yourself," I said softly, "Someone who...who is so close and yet so out of reach. Someone--"

"No," he shut the car off, "I do, Naomi."

I looked at him and swallowed upon his eyes meeting mine. He sat back and combed his hand through his hair; "I guess you do."

"You," he began, "You're like my other half. That little piece of myself I didn't know was missing until I met you."

Again, my cheeks burned and my heart fluttered, stomach filled with butterflies. I am in love, it was such a wonderful and torturous feeling.
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize if this chapter is less descriptive than others. I never want to bore you all with too much unnecessary details.
What do you think?