Status: Hopefully a better rewrite (fingers and hearts crossed)

Take This to Your Grave

Can't runaway forever, but I can try

The band had practice that night, so I definitely went home with Kate. The floor thumped underneath us as we walked in, and we went into the living room. I tugged at my bottom lip, my leg bounced waiting for the band to finish. Kate could see the anxiety in me, and she was curious; she had this look in her eye.

"What did he do?" She asked softly.

I rubbed my eyes, "It's...it's fucked up, Kate."

She leaned forward, "Did...did he...?"

"He didn't rape me." I murmured.

"He just touched you?"

I nodded, "I got a bruise across my neck." I pulled the sleeve of my coat up and pushed my watch down, "My wrist."

She winced, "Holy shit. You need to tell."

"I can't. It's his word against mine. He said if I tell he'll say that Pete did it."

Kate's eyes widened, "Jesus."

"I have to deal. I'll keep him off as long as I can."

"Do you think he'll try something more?"

I shrugged, "I don't know."

"Maybe you can tell your dad," he offered, "he'll believe you."

I shook my head, "I've been lying, Katy. He won't believe me...he likes Seth, and he'll take his side."

Kate frowned sadly, "I'm sorry."

I sat back, "Me too. I shouldn't have trusted him."

"He's a wolf in sheep's clothing, Naomi. You couldn't have known."

I exhaled and shut my eyes, trying to forget about it for awhile. Kate got up a second later and left the room; moments later the music stopped thumping and then start up after. I heard Kate return, but with someone with her; my breath caught when I saw Pete.

"Let's go." Pete said softly.

I didn't question it; I grabbed my backpack and followed Pete, exchanging small goodbyes with Kate. Out the door we went and into his car; he didn't speak as he started the car and began to drive. "Where're you taking me?"

"To eat. I'm starved and Kate said you didn't eat at lunch." He replied shortly.

"I'm not hungry." I murmured.

"Still gonna eat." He spoke with authority.

I let out a small laugh, "Whatever you say."

We drove for another minute before he cleared his throat, "Are you gonna tell me what happened now?"

"Look, it's nothing, Pete--"

"It's something, or Kate wouldn't of ordered me to take you to eat."

I exhaled, "It's not your problem, it's mine."

"Then why did you want to see me?"

"Because I missed you." I answered truthfully.

Pete looked over at me a moment, "Naomi, I want you to tell me."

I looked away, unable to think of an excuse. I had run out of excuses and reasons. "It's embarrassing." I told him.

"I'm not gonna say anything, I promise." He replied quickly.

I swallowed, "After we eat."

I noticed him nod and continue on. We drove to a fast food drive in and then he parked in a deserted parking lot. We had our food, but I barely touched it; Pete wasn't kidding when he said he was starving. I ate some fries and drank my milkshake, but I was too nervous and scared to eat; more so just nervous about telling Pete. He finished in record time, gazing over at me, "You gotta eat, Navy."

"I'm not hungry." I told him again.

He wiped his mouth with a napkin, "Just eat a little...maybe you'll feel better."

"Food won't help." I mumbled.

Pete continued to watch me; I sipped at the milkshake and then set it between my legs, "I only want to know so I can help."

"You knowing won't help...you can't help me." I shook my head, "But I need to tell you because I think I'll feel better if I did."

"That's helping, Naomi."

"Okay." I gave a deep exhale, "Monday...uh, it was raining, ya'know, and everyone was crammed in the cafeteria..."

I couldn't look at him as I told him. I spoke automatically, as if I were in my weekly confession. I told him everything and my voice shook, cracked and I even let tears spill. The sound of impending thunder swirled in the air and I had to speak up a few times. Pete was quiet; his hands did grip the steering wheel; from what I saw out the corner of my eye. I told him about the entire day and how everyone had practically shunned me. I told him how I couldn't tell because Seth would say it was him, and even if I did my dad wouldn't believe me.

Once I finished, my body was shaking and I was angry. I swallowed all the emotion and shut my mouth. Pete sat still and I wondered what he was thinking. I would love to read his mind, but at the current moment, I couldn't even look at him.

"I'm going to kill him." Pete in a low, sharp tone of voice. "I see him every weekend at shows, I'm gonna hurt him."

"Don't, Pete," I muttered, "Don't. If you do, it'll only get worse."

"And then what? Let him fuckin' torture you?" He shot out angrily. "I'm gonna kill him, and you can be mad at me if you want, but I'm gonna do it."

"My dad will be pissed." I told him, "And then I really can't see you anymore."

"Then that's the risk I have to take. I'm not gonna let him get away with it, Naomi."

I shut my eyes and pressed my head against the window, "Fuck."

"I have to do something." He confessed, "I need to."

"No you don't." I replied.

"You don't understand," he began quietly, "I can't just let this go."

"You have to, for me."

Pete didn't say anything. After a moment, he finally said, "You should tell your dad."

"I just told you why I can't."

"You really believe he won't believe you? He's your dad, he'll believe you."

"I can't. I won't."

Pete sighed and then took my hand in his, "I'm sorry, Navy."

"For what? You didn't hold me down." I spat out.

Pete squeezed my hand, "I'm apologizing in advance, when I kick that fucker's ass."

"Please," I began to beg him, "Just leave it alone. I don't want you to do anything."

Pete looked at me and frowned, "Naomi--"

"Peter." I cut him off in a sharp tone.

He sighed, "Alright, alright. I'll try and leave it alone."

"Don't try." I told him. "If this all blows up, me and you won't be able to see each other."

Pete looked forward and nodded, "Okay, Naomi. Okay."

I leaned over and kissed the corner of his mouth, and then pressed my cheek to his shoulder; "I love you, and if there weren't consequences, I'd let you kick his ass."

Pete turned his head and pressed his lips to my forehead, "I understand Naomi, but if he starts fuckin' with you again, I want you to do something."

"I'll try."

"Don't try." He mimicked my words.

"I'll avoid him." I offered.

Pete gave a small frustrated sigh, "I really am sorry about this, Navy."

"I know you are, Pete. I'm sorry, too."


I tried to buck up and find strength in ignoring then whispers and stares. I hid from everyone, going only where I knew I'd be safe. I didn't talk to anyone and I ran whenever saw Seth.

In my class, my mind was a million miles away. I tried to figure out how I could fix this mess, or figure a way to forget this all. I wasn't sure how to get Seth off my back, I was sure that I couldn't avoid and run forever. I was doing a good job between classes, and during lunch Kate and I went to the library. I felt bad about having her come with me, I was sure she missed the others.

"You won't have to babysit me forever, Kate."

She cocked a brow at me, "It's not babysitting. Besides, I like you more than them...you're the only one who isn't pretentious."

I smiled softly at her, "Thanks."

Kate nodded agreeably and then asked, "What did you and Pete do last night? Did you tell him?"

"I told him." I exhaled, "If you go out to one of their shows, will you watch Pete for me? He says he's going to kill Seth."

Kate smirked, "I wouldn't be surprised."

"Well, Seth's threatening me and I don't want anymore drama. I just want this to go away."

"Yeah, I'll make sure he stays in line. I'll tell Babette."

I coursed my hair back, "I know Pete'll do something. He promised, but I bet he had his fuckin' fingers crossed."

"I think you should let Pete beat the crap out of Seth. Put his ass in place."

"He'll tell my dad, and then my dad will go off," I mumbled. "I...I'm in such a rough spot."

"I'll help as much as I can, Naomi. I even want to kick Seth's ass."

I smiled again, "Really, Katy, thank you."

She patted my arm, "No problem."

After school, I saw Seth coming towards me as I waited for Kate. I turned my head, crossed my arms and clenched my jaw. He zeroed in and leaned in close to my face like always did, "Hey, baby. Where've you been?"

I turned my head farther away. I looked away, only causing him to lean in further, "Don't ignore me."

"Why don't you leave me alone?" I finally asked. "You got what you wanted."

"No I haven't." He laughed. "Not even close."

I shot a look at him, "If you think I would even sleep with you, you must be severely brain damaged."

He laughed, face smug, "I know you'll sleep with me. You can't help yourself."

"Please. I wouldn't sleep with you if my goddamn life depended on it."

He raised his hand and slammed it against the locker, causing it to chatter. I jumped slightly, he smiled, "I'll make you, because you want to."

I was sick again, "Leave me alone." I begged. "I'm not going to ask or beg again, just go away."

Seth enclosed his hand around my neck, a gasp shot out from my mouth, and his lips were suddenly against mine. I put my hands up and shoved him away; he stumbled back, our lips parting; "I said leave me alone!" I screamed.

Everyone around looked at us; people whispering, but some dispersing. Seth rubbed his bottom lip, smiling at me, "You'll see, Naomi."

I only glared at him as he walked away. Soon after Kate arrived, but I didn't tell her that Seth came around again. I made a note to not wait for her anymore; I'd have to hide out.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really, really hate April Fool's day