Status: Hopefully a better rewrite (fingers and hearts crossed)

Take This to Your Grave

If it hadn't been for love...

When I got home, my dad was heading out; "Hey, there you are."

"Yeah. Where are you off to?"

"I'm goin' out with Amy; I'm gonna take her to this new restaurant in Western Springs." He fixed his coat on, "Wanna come?"

I laughed, "I don't wanna go on a date with my dad."

He shrugged, "Hey, I was just asking."

"I'll be fine. I'm gonna cook somethin' and study." I told him.

He sighed, "Uh, alright. What's Kate doing?"

"She's going to a show tonight. I didn't want to go."

"Alright, be careful and lock up." He kissed the side of my head, and paused, "You smell funny."

He stepped back and I raised a brow, "What? Do I smell?"

He shook his head, "No, you smell like something...is it a new perfume?"

"It's probably Kate's or something." I smelled my hair.

My hair smelled like Pete's cologne. It wasn't pungent, but you could smell it. It didn't particularly smell like a man's cologne, but you could lean towards it being so.

"It smells nice." He answered benevolently; but I knew he was just being nice.

"Thanks." I patted his arm, "Have fun."

"You too." He chuckled.

I waved to him as he left, and I locked the door behind him. I went off to the kitchen to make dinner for myself.


My dad hadn't come home, it was late and I was already in bed. I had studied like I said I would; I was so reluctant to, but I did. I was wiped out; so I was pissed when the phone began to ring.

I rolled over in my bed and looked at my clock on my desk; 1:30 AM. I got up, pushing the blankets away; I figured it was more than likely my dad. I jogged down the stairs, flicked on the lights leading to the living room. I grabbed the phone, yawning and grumbled, "Hello?"

An automatic voice sounded; "You have a collect call from Peter Wentz. Would you like to accept the charges?"

I looked at the phone in disbelief with my tired eyes, "Whaa-- Yes."

The operator cut off and then I heard rustling. I frowned as I waited for him to speak, "You know, I don't think I ever talked to you on the phone."

"Pete, why are you calling me collect?"

"You'll never guess where I am." He chuckled.

"Where? Jail?" I scoffed jokingly.

He laughed now, "Yeah."

I didn't believe him. "Shut up, where are you?"

"I'm in the county jail." He said nonchalantly.

"Why the hell are you there?" I questioned shortly.

"Assault."

I pinched the bridge of my nose, "Please tell me that you're joking. Please." I muttered desperately.

He sighed, "Nope."

"What did you do?"

"I don't think I should say." He said facetiously.

"Peter!" I growled. "What did you do? Did you beat up Seth?"

He cleared his throat, "Maybe."

I groaned, "Why? After I told you not to!"

"He's a little bitch, that's why." Pete answered hotly. "Besides, I saw him trying to fuck with other girls."

I was silent for a moment, "Do you want me to go tell your mom?"

"I'd appreciate it." He said insouciantly, "I did use my one phone call to call you."

"Because we've never talked on the phone." I finished in annoyance.

He hummed humorously, "Yeah."

I rubbed my eyes, "You...owe me."

"I know."

I sighed, "Hold tight, I'll go tell your folks."

"Thanks, Naomi."

"You're welcome."

I hung up with Pete, marched right upstairs, put my shoes on and grabbed my coat; I hoped my dad wouldn't show up. I couldn't believe myself as I walked back down the stairs and out the door; the wind blow furiously, the rain wasn't heavy, but it was coming down. I bundled up and jogged down the path way and out to the sidewalk; I ran towards the Wentz's yard; Pandora and Princess had begun to bark as soon as I was at the door.

I knocked loud and quick. It took a minute or so for Mr. Wentz to open the door. He ushered me in before he said anything; "Naomi, what's going on?" He looked me over, making sure I was okay.

"I'm fine, I just came over to tell you Pete's in jail." I mumbled

I kind of laughed when those words came out of my mouth.

Mr. Wentz didn't look amused. "He's in jail? Are you serious?"

I nodded, my mouth filtered out a lie: "My friend Kate just called me and I thought you'd like to know."

Mr. Wentz sighed, rubbing his tired eyes, "Thank you, Naomi. I'll go see what I have to do."

"No problem, Mr. Wentz." I turned to leave, but he took hold of my arm.

"Naomi," he said my name softly, "Dale and I know...that you and Pete are friends."

My lips parted in an "O" shape. I sighed quietly, "Okay. Pete called me. I don't know why, we've never talked on the phone before. He told me to come and tell you guys he was in jail."

"What'd be do?"

I shrugged, "I think he got into a fight."

Mr. Wentz groaned, "That boy."

"I'm sorry. I should get home, my dad is out with Amy."

"I'll walk you over."

Mr. Wentz had an umbrella and opened it, carried it over our heads as he walked me back home. I thanked him, and he winked, telling me that our secret was safe with him. I waved as he left me inside, and then shut the door.

As soon as the warmth of the house filled me, I found myself once again fatigued with sleep. I managed to trudge upstairs and crawl into my bed; but just as I did, the only thing that overwhelmed me was that Pete had gotten into a fight with Seth. I was suddenly anxious and nervous, sick almost. I shut my eyes, the comfort I had happily embraced from the day before slipped away. I balled my first, squeezed my eyes tighter and gritted my teeth.

I felt uncomfortable all over again; Pete's touch was gone. I was plagued with uncertainty and nervousness. I rolled onto my side, cradled my pillow; I prayed that Seth wouldn't plot something against me. I knew he would, Pete opened up a can of worms. I wasn't mad at him, because I knew he couldn't have controlled himself.

The outcome is what frightened me. If there hadn't had been repercussions, I would've gladly let Pete beat the crap out him. Hell, I would've done it myself.

Waiting was the worst thing. Suddenly wide awake, I tried to think of a way out of this. I thought about just telling my dad; but rejection and skepticism could happen. My dad didn't trust me, just barely, and I didn't want to tarnish it. But, I probably -more than likely- had no choice, and I was screwed.

If he would believe Seth, my dad would go ballistic on Pete. He would put me on lockdown; and it didn't matter if I was 16 or 17. My dad ruled and I had no choice but to follow order. After I graduate, I could run off to the circus for all I cared. Now, I had no choice; I had no other place to go; no money and no job.

Aside from all that, I couldn't imagine moving out of my dad's house. I love living with him, I love my dad; he's roof was all I had, and I hadn't been with him long. Fear soared through me at the thought of leaving him; I just couldn't. I don't think he would want it or suggest it; and I wouldn't either. I honestly don't know what I would do without him.

Even if I didn't have that much faith in God and the Holy Spirit; I prayed. I prayed for a good outcome, and asked forgiveness for all the wrong I've done. It was a long shot, but I took it.
♠ ♠ ♠
These chapters seem as if I'm taking forever to reach a point to something. I know where I'm going, but every idea I get seems to railroad me to other ideas and chapters. I hope you all are okay with this so far.

PS: did anyone see Best Ink? I'm surprised Pete didn't say anything embarrassing in the first episode!