Status: Hopefully a better rewrite (fingers and hearts crossed)

Take This to Your Grave

I'm as cold as they come

Pete made me wrap up in a blanket and then set me on the couch. He had turned the music off, turned on the TV and laid behind me, his arm around my waist. I felt better, I still felt hurt, but I was glad to be with Pete.

There was so many things rushing through my head; I didn't watch TV, I just thought. I wondered what my dad was doing, and how mad he probably was at me. I didn't care at all, though; all I wanted was to be with Pete and not worry about anyone or anything. I felt like I was coming apart, and the only glue I had left was Pete. I didn't want to go home, not to my dad, not to my mom; just Pete.

I was scared though; I didn't want to put him off. Living together would probably bother him, seeing each other was enough. I could have him now, and I wasn't about to ruin it. So, I had to think and figure out what to do.

"I won't stay forever." I told him.

"I want you to." He murmured against my shoulder.

"Just for a little while." I assured him.

"Why are you so eager to leave me?" His voice was muffled against my shoulder.

"I don't want to ruin what we got."

Pete exhaled and kissed the side of my neck, "We won't ruin anything, Navy."

I wasn't so sure; I didn't want Pete to get sick of me or vice-versa. Seriously, I don't think I could ever get sick of Pete. He makes me happy and I haven't really spent as much time as I wish I have with him.

"Naomi," his voice interrupted my thoughts, "You're burning up."

"Am I?" I asked in a mumble.

He sat up, "I think you're getting sick. I'm gonna go get some medicine."

Pete carefully maneuvered from behind me and went off towards his bedroom. I rolled onto my back and felt my forehead; I was warm, but I was still chilled. He came back a moment later, ordering me to sit up; "Drink some." He gave me a bottle of cold medicine; I twisted the cap off and took a little. I handed it back to him; "Come lay in my bed. Tim's gonna be comin' soon."

I followed Pete back to his bedroom; he set me beneath the covers, settling inside them with me, "You're gonna get sick, too." I told him.

He shook his head, "Nah, I can handle it, Navy."

I let out a small sigh, shutting my eyes over, and wrapped my arms around him. He kissed my forehead, leaving his lips there; "I love you." I murmured against his chest.

I felt his lips turn up, "I love you, too."


My head was a little foggy when I woke up, and Pete had been right; I was sick. I was a little nauseated, but I sufficed it all to go with him to Kate and Chris's; though he had protested. He relented when I begged and puppy-dog eyed him.

I bundled up in clothes, and took some more medicine.

When we arrived, Kate was excited and relieved to see me. She had pulled me into a tight hug, "Your dad is looking for you! I thought Seth got a hold of you!"

"I needed to clear my head." I told her as she let me go.

"What're you doing with Pete?" She asked.

Pete had gone down to the basement with Chris and Tim.

"I needed to see him."

Kate smiled and took my hand, "Come upstairs, tell me everything."

I followed her lead, "Did you get in trouble?" I asked her.

She laughed, "Yeah, only a few days. How long did you get?"

"2 weeks." I sat down on her bed and sniffled. "That fucker came over to my house after."

Her eyes widened, she sat at her desk chair, "Shut up! He did? Did he make shit up?"

"Yeah. My dad took his side, that's why I left."

Kate's jaw dropped, "What? Are you for real?!"

"Yep." I rubbed my eyes, "I told him I was leaving on my 17th birthday. I was angry, Katy, I just...it hurt, ya'know? I don't want to go back."

Kate hummed, "I'd let you stay, but my parents are all iffy about that stuff. They're trying to get Chris to leave."

"It's okay." I told her, "I'm staying with Pete until I find out what I'm gonna do."

Kate thought for a moment, silently. Then her eyes lit up, "Babette! Babette has two bedrooms! You can move in with her!"

I shook my head, "I can't...I mean, I wouldn't want to impose on her."

Kate smirked at me, "B loves you, Naomi. You should ask her."

I shrugged, "We'll see. I do need to find a job too."

"I'll help. I need a job too. My dad was not happy to hear I was defending my friend against some asshole."

I laughed, "Thanks again, Katy."

"I'd do it again, Nay."

"I do appreciate it. I hate Seth."

"Me too."

I exhaled, "If my dad calls, or comes by, tell him I'm okay."

"Do you want me to tell him who you're with?"

"No. I'm sure he'll have an idea."

•••

Pete took me back to his apartment; Andy was there and was surprised to see me. Pete had explained the situation, leaving out things about what Seth had done to me.

"I'll try not to get in your way." I said to Andy and Tim. "I won't be here long."

Tim chuckled while Andy smiled; "It's cool. I think it'll put us in check to clean." Andy said.

"I'll clean up," I offered, "it'll give me somethin' to do."

Pete protested this, "No, you won't clean this mess up."

I rolled my eyes, Tim laughed again; "It's like you guys are some married couple."

"He never let's me do anything." I jested with another eyes roll.

"You're sick." Pete said, "You need to get better."

"I just have a tiny cold." I muttered.

Pete took my hand, "C'mon, off to bed with you."

"Hey, no hanky panky!" Andy joked as we went off.

"Pete won't get any until he treats me right." I called back.

Pete laughed, "Uh-huh."

In his bedroom, I slipped off my shoes and got under the blankets. Pete sat beside me, turning the lamp beside his bed on. He turned on his stereo and grabbed a notebook from the bedside drawer. I watched him, listening to Alice In Chains (I'm not a fan, but I distinguished it between his ever changing playlists of songs), and wondered what he was writing. Pete always wrote a lot, on things and sometimes himself, and I admired it.

He has dedication to his craft.

I never asked what he wrote. I knew that that stuff is private. My own notebooks were private, I never let anyone see what I wrote, but I know Pete has snuck a few glances in them. But, Pete wrote feverishly, his tongue stuck out the left corner of his mouth and his brow furrowed. I couldn't help but to wonder what he was writing about.

"What're you writing?" I asked in a small voice.

He looked at me, his face relaxing, "I dunno." He answered, "Just...stuff."

"You're concentrated." I remarked.

He shrugged his shoulders, "I just feel the need to write."

I hugged the pillow beside me, and shut my eyes. I didn't pester him anymore; I was feeling tired from the cold medicine. After a few minutes of quiet scratching of pen to paper, the music had ended and then the light went out. Pete scooted down in the bed, lying beside me; I was falling asleep, but I could hear him breathing and murmuring; I couldn't decipher any of it. He rolled onto his side, placing his left arm around me and pulled me over to him.

In a soft voice, he said, "I know if it weren't for you, I wouldn't have this smile across my face."

I had wanted to reply, but I had nothing to say. I snoozed quietly, burying my face against his chest.


I was a lot better the next morning; I ate cereal and stayed in Pete's bed. Even though I felt better, I was so tired. I fell in and out of sleep the entire day; Pete had come and gone all the while, telling me to stay in bed.

It was in the evening when I heard Babette. I was half asleep, and she came in asking for me. She was at Pete's bedroom door before I could even sit up. She smiled at me, "Hey, you look like hell."

I laughed, "I'm getting over a cold."

Babette came over and sat on the messy bed, "Katy told me what happened."

"Yeah?"

She gave a nod, "And, I think you should go home, Naomi."

"What?" I muttered.

"So you can patch things up. And, I want to offer you to come live with me when you decide to."

I smiled, "Really?"

She nodded happily, "Yes, only if you go and smooth things over with your old man."

I sighed, smile faltering. "Go figure."

"I promise that you'll both feel better once you do." She assured, "Just go and tell him how you feel, talk out your plans and then come to me when you're ready."

"I need to find a job first." I explained.

She grinned, "Bobby has a job for you."

I raised a brow, "Doing what?"

"His friend owns this store at the mall and he saw your picture and wants to outfit you for a couple of his jeans and shoes."

I frowned slightly, "I told you, B, I don't model."

"So? It's $300!"

My eyes widened, "To put on jeans and shoes?"

She nodded, "Yep. I'll be there, too, to help. I assure you that this is all legit."

My stomach fluttered, "Are you for real, or are you jokin' with me?"

"I'm completely serious, Naomi." She slugged my arm playfully. "It's Wednesday, so I expect you to be ready, at your dad's."

I nodded, "Okay. You got it, B."

She clapped cheerfully and then hugged me, "I promise that this'll all smooth over."

"Yeah, I know."