Status: Hopefully a better rewrite (fingers and hearts crossed)

Take This to Your Grave

You've ruined me; drop dead

I didn't leave the house until Wednesday. I was feeling sick still, restless, and I missed Pete. I had tried calling him, but he still didn't pick up and I didn't leave any messages. I left it alone and tried not to think about it, but I did wonder if he was okay. I was sure he was; Kate told me that he and Chris were out.

On Wednesday, Babette came over in the early afternoon; the rain was coming down, and it was soon to start snowing. My dad had allowed me to leave, so off we went. I followed Babette's every step, watching where she took me; we ended up at this fancy building with glass doors and large windows; there were blown up posters of models, but no name of the company or building.

"What's this place called?" I asked her as we went inside.

Warm air blew in our cold faces; my nose was starting to clear up.

"H&M." She said.

I heard the name before, but wasn't sure from where. I didn't look into it, I just followed Babette; we coursed around the large echoing lobby over to some elevators. We took the 6th floor up, and then we were just outside a large empty space; though, there was a large gray backdrop, lights, several cameras, expensive computers and a rack of clothing. I suddenly felt nervous; two men approached as Babette led me towards the whole scene; I recognized Bobby, but didn't know the other. The other man was older with facial hair and a bald head. He dressed casually, which made me feel comfortable.

Bobby grinned at us; "Greg, this is Naomi Valentino, the girl I was telling you about."

Greg stuck his hand out, offering a smile, "It's nice to meet you, Naomi. I'm Greg Whitaker."

I shook his hand, "It's nice to meet you. I, um," our hands dropped, "I'm not a model, so if I suck at this, I apologize in advance."

He chuckled, "Nonsense, anyone can be a model. You just have to look pretty. Follow me."

I looked to Babette, who was smiling eagerly, and I followed Greg. Babette and Bobby went off, leaving us alone. I inhaled as Greg led me to the rack of clothes; I figured this wouldn't be so bad.


I had more than a dozen pictures taken of me and then I was finished. The whole thing was easy, and it was kind of fun. Babette had done my makeup and encouraged me the entire time. I had felt confident, really, and wished that Pete could've seen me.

Afterward, Greg shook my hand, "How did you like it?"

I smiled, "It was fun!"

"Would you be interested in anymore work? You're very photogenic."

I nodded, "Yeah, sure."

Greg chuckled, "Alright, I just need your info, follow me."

I had followed him towards the computer screens were my pictures were. I blushed at the sight of myself; I didn't look half bad, and the jeans were awesome. Greg had me fill out the basic things of myself, and then he began to write me a check.

I had almost forgotten about that.

He handed it off to me, "The next shoot should be some time soon for a spring line. I can send your photo to some agencies so you can get more jobs."

I felt unsure about that, "Uh...alright." I folded the check and put it in my pocket.

"It was nice working with you Naomi. Enjoy the jeans."

I blinked, "I can keep them?"

He nodded, "Yes, of course. They're a prototype, but they're still worthy."

"Thanks." I told him.

"No problem. See you soon."

I smiled to myself as I made my way over to Babette. She winked at me, "You looked great."

"Did I?"

"Perfect. You should do this for a living."

I shrugged, "I'm not sure."

"Well, whatever you do, you should do it with your face. You've got a money maker."

I laughed at that, "I wish I could show Pete."

"C'mon," Babette smiled and took my arm gently, "Let's go tell him."

We said our goodbyes to Bobby and Greg, and then left the building. I had my clothes tucked under my arm, and was getting use to the new jeans. I bit at my lip, because I had anticipation to see Pete and to tell him.

The sun had gone down, the rain was falling down hard, yet, I felt really happy. Things were turning up, and really, I had Babette to thank. Even with the rain, I hadn't felt doom; no, not until we got to Kate and Chris'. This feeling took over and I couldn't really shake it; the rain was suddenly letting up. I knew it only meant something ominous, something bad.

We climbed out of Babette's car and went inside in a rush. The floor wasn't thumping like I had expected it to. I set my clothes on the couch, and we met with Kate in the kitchen; "Hey, how was it?" She asked.

"Amazing," Babette announced, "Naomi is a natural."

I shrugged sheepishly, "It's easy."

Kate smiled, "Did they let you keep those? I never seen you wear jeans that tight before."

I nodded as I looked them over; they had a few splashes of rain on the length of the legs. "I like them."

Babette grabbed a drink from the fridge and announced she'd be downstairs with the boys. As soon as she was out of sight, Kate grimaced, "I forgot."

"Forgot what?" I asked as I sat at the counter beside her.

She looked at me sadly, "Uh, Pete's here."

"Yeah, so?" I was suddenly happy, but the look on her face added dread.

"He brought a girl."

I frowned, "A girl?"

"Yeah. Some new girl, never seen her before."

That hurt rushed through me. My broken shell was being repaired, so I toughened up. I gave a nonchalant shrug, "Well, that's his business, Katy. He isn't my boyfriend."

Her jaw dropped, "What? After all that's happened?"

"He and I never said we were like that, Kate." I said this in a cool tone, to hide the anger I was feeling.

"Oh." Her lips turned down. "Still, he's a jerk for bringing her here. He knows you come over all the time. B is probably throwing daggers at him."

I scoffed, "She doesn't need to do that."

Kate smiled slyly, "Oh, she will."

It was a few more minutes before we heard feet trudging up the stairs. We couldn't see who it was, but we heard Babette's voice a moment later; "You're such a jerk-off. I can't believe you." Her tone was sharp, but not loud.

"Hey, she's not my girlfriend," Pete muttered after. "Plus, I can date whoever the hell I want, you aren't my mother. And you sure as hell aren't Naomi's either."

Kate and I sat still, listening.

"Excuse me," Babette said in a faux sweet voice, "You wait outside while I talk some sense into this idiot."

I blinked multiple times, listening. There was shuffle of feet, the front door opening and then closing.

"Naomi is upstairs, what if she saw you with that girl?"

Kate gave me a look and pressed her index finger to her lips.

"Naomi isn't my girlfriend." Pete snapped.

My heart sunk. I knew I wasn't his girlfriend, but it didn't hurt any less when he said it.

"What's the deal? I can--"

"The deal is!" Babette exclaimed; I heard more feet coming up the basement stairs. "Naomi likes you, you dumb-ass! You're sick if you're taking advantage of her!"

"You don't know what we got, it isn't any of your business!"

"Hey!" Chris' voice floated in, "Knock it off, alright?"

There was silence.

Babette was the first to speak, "You're a dog, Pete."

"What the fuck ever." He spat back.

"Dude, stop." Chris said in a growl. "Let's just forget this mess, go back down and finish."

"I need a drink." Pete said shortly.

Kate and I froze, our bodies stuck, eyes watching the corner of the entry of the kitchen where the shouting match had taken place. Pete came around the bend, and stopped as soon as he saw us. He and I caught eyes and bore at each other; I swore I could read his thoughts. Oh, fuck.

I didn't move, I blinked and turned my body around in the chair. He cleared his throat and came over to the fridge, around the counter, "Hey."

He opened the fridge, and then Kate turned; "We heard you, don't play innocent."

Pete paused again. When he turned, he was biting at his lip. "Fine, let me talk to Naomi--"

I cut him off, "I don't want to talk to you."

I couldn't tell you exactly how I sounded. I barely heard myself, so I wasn't sure how angry or upset I sounded. Pete had just looked at me, holding a beer bottle; "Naomi--"

I got up then, the feeling was too great, and left the kitchen. I darted out the door, I hadn't seen Babette or Chris, they must've gone downstairs. I nearly bumped into the girl out there, she went back in after I was rushing down the pathway.

The air was thick, freezing, but not rain. I stopped at the sidewalk, ready to kick something for feeling so upset. I was mad, even though I knew that, that Pete and I weren't together. I wasn't dumb, and I guess it just hurt that he was with someone so fast. I felt betrayed again, only, by my last ally; it stung.

"Naomi!" Pete called after me, and I didn't move.

My feet were planted on the sidewalk. I felt his hand a few seconds later on my shoulder, "Naomi, talk to me?"

I spun around, "Fuck you." I spat out. "God, you're such an asshole."

"It's true though," he shot back.

I shoved him, "Fuck you! Fuck you! Fuck you!"

"What the hell do you want me to say?!" He shouted as he stumbled back.

"I don't want you to say anything! I want you to drop dead!" I began to move; my feet ushering me down the street.

Just a few feet, he caught me, "Stay and talk to me. We need to sort this out!"

Again, I faced him; "Sort what out? How much of a fool I am? How you like to spill lines to me and go get a girlfriend?" My voice was venomous and hard.

Pete had winced at my words, "It just happened."

"2 and a half days." I muttered. "I have seen you in less than 72 hours and you got a girlfriend. Fuck you." I was ready to walk off again, but he grabbed me, "Let me go!"

"Not until you just listen, I don't want you to be mad at me."

"Too late!"

Pete let go of my arm and licked his lips, "I'm sorry."

I felt tears coming on; "What the hell do you want from me?!" I screamed at him, "What! Please tell me! Are you trying to ruin me?"

Pete closed in on me, "Of course I do!" He shouted back, "Thats what I was born to do! That's why we met, so I could ruin you!"

I pushed him back, "Too goddamn bad, I won't let you! So for now on, you stay away from me. You and your fucking charm. Drop dead."

This time he didn't grab me when I stomped off. The clouds in the sky clapped and I couldn't wait to get home. That was easy; I damn near ran the entire way; and was on the verge of tears once I got to the doorstep. I held it all in and swallowed; I walked inside the house and smelt Amy's cooking.

"How was it?" She asked when she spotted me coming around to the kitchen.

I forced a smile, "It was great. I loved it. I got paid."

Amy clapped her hands for me, "Good for you, Naomi."

"Thank you." I said to her, "I'm gonna go change. Is my dad here?"

"No, he just went down to the store. He should be back soon."

"Alright." I replied before heading up.

I went to my room, shut the door behind me, and slid down it. Again, I was feeling so overly pissed and angry, I let myself cry. I don't like to cry in public, especially if it was over a boy.

I pulled my knees up and cradled my arms around them. I didn't sob outwardly, my body shook with anger and frustration. I let the tears drown my eyes out until I couldn't cry anymore.
♠ ♠ ♠
I manage to update so quickly because the ideas come to me all at once. They may seem like rambles and fillers, but it's helping me (us) get towards the end. I hope you all aren't turned off by my frequent updates; if so, I apologize, I just can't help it.

Also, I should reread my shit more...maybe not.