Status: Hopefully a better rewrite (fingers and hearts crossed)

Take This to Your Grave

Strangers are my friends, my friends are strangers

As soon as my dad saw me, my neck and the fact that I was high, he was yelling. He wasn't yelling at me, particularly. He was asking me what happened, who hurt me, who got me high and if I needed a doctor.

I answered: "It was Seth, I got myself high, I'm hungry and yes, I need a doctor."

My dad had put me in the truck, with Amy, and drove me to the hospital. All the while, my dad was lecturing me about getting high and peer pressure. I was fading in and out, my eyes wandering, my head foggy, thoughts not comprehending anything. My neck was sore, but it didn't bother me too much. My dad had said that he was calling the police once we got to the hospital.

When we got there, things were kind of fuzzy. There wasn't any damage; Seth's nails had made small scratches around the sides of my neck. I was bandaged and I laughed because I thought I looked like Frankenstein's monster.

"Daddy," I giggled, "Look at me! I'm Boris Karloff!"

My dad had shaken his head, Amy had smiled at me and patted my back.

The police arrived a long time later, we had been waiting in one of the curtain off spaces. I had come down, I was just really hungry and tired. The police men had introduced themselves, but I didn't remember. I told them about Seth, relaying what he had done weeks before and then that night. They wrote up a police report and then took pictures of my neck; they removed the bandages to do so.

And then, I was able to go home.

"Can we get tacos?" I asked with a yawn as we drove home.

"Tacos?" My dad asked.

"Yes." I nodded.

My dad hummed and continued on. I had wondered if he was mad at me, but I didn't care at that moment. I wanted to eat and sleep; I didn't even think about anything else but food and my bed.


I woke up early the next morning; I had school. I yawned and stretched, trying to remember what happened last night. I looked down at myself; I had my clothes on from last night, minus my shoes and something written on my arm.

555-0109 Ricky

I remembered and got out of my bed to write the number down on one of my notebooks. After, I went to shower and get ready; I managed to do so in a timely manner. I went downstairs to eat breakfast; Amy was in the kitchen having coffee.

"Is my dad here?" I asked her.

"Yeah, he's upstairs." She answered.

I bit at my lip, "Is he mad at me?"

Amy tweaked her lips, "It's hard to tell, Naomi."

"I just...I needed to escape, ya'know?"

"Drugs aren't the way."

"It was just this one time." I lied.

"Good." She gave an approving nod.

I went around the kitchen and grabbed the orange juice. As I sat down to drink and eat a muffin, my dad came down. He was dressed and he didn't seem amused this morning.

"Dad," I said as he sat beside me at the table, "I'm sorry."

He looked at me, "It's okay, Naomi. I did it once. And this is the last time for you, you understand?"

I gave a nod, "Yes. I just wanted to relax, to let it go."

He sighed, "Yeah, I know Naomi. How does your neck feel?"

"It's sore, but I'll survive." I exhaled, "So, what's going to happen to Seth?"

"They arrested him last night. Someone beat him up."

I blinked and thought back. "Andy Hurley."

"Andy Hurley?" He questioned.

"Yeah, he's a friend; he was there and saw Seth on me. Andy saved me, dad." I reflected a moment, "Jesus."

"He beat him up?" I nodded. "We won't tell the police then."

I smiled, "Why not?"

"Because that boy saved your life." My dad replied earnestly and with a small shrug to his left shoulder.

"And, what'll happen with Seth?"

"Juvenile court. You have to tell the police what happened, Naomi."

I sighed, "Oh God."

"It's the only way to get him to leave you alone." Amy chimed in.

I ran my through my hair, "Okay. When?"

"They said they'd call us." My dad said.

I got up, finishing my orange juice. "Welp, I'm gonna call Katy to pick me up."

"Alright."


Kate and I were silent when we drove to school. We were both really tired, and she seemed to be holding something back. I had looked at her as we pulled into the parking lot; "You tell me what's going on."

Kate looked at me, her face blank now. "What?"

"What's up with you? You look lost."

Kate let out a sigh, "Eric." She stated softly.

"Yeah, what about him?"

She looked down, "I've been hooking up with him...I'm pregnant."

My brows shot up, "Really? Like really pregnant?" I motioned my hand over my stomach to make a belly.

"Yep." She replied humbly. "I took a test last night after I dropped you off. I haven't told him."

"You were with him last night, too?"

She gave a nod, "Yeah. I was such a wreck. I suspected that I was, because I'm late..."

"What're you...what are you...did you tell anyone?" I stammered over my words.

"Just you." She looked at me, "My parents are gonna kill me and Eric will probably leave me."

"You have options, Katy." I murmured now; my hand moved to her back and I patted it.

"I know, but I can't...I thought about it." She shook her head, "I'm so messed up right now."

"You know I'll help you with whatever you need, Katy." I rubbed her back now.

"Yeah, I know, Naomi. Thanks."

We were still in the car, quiet. She let out a deep sigh; "Lets go to class. I'll deal later."

I wasn't sure if Kate could stay in school long; "Are you sure?"

"Yeah." She nodded swiftly.

"Okay. Lets go."

Kate and I trekked through the hall to our lockers. I gave her a hug before we parted off to our classes. She thanked me quietly and off we went; I felt terrible for her.


Kate didn't say anything throughout the day. It was quiet, no one even looked at me, no one gossiped, and most importantly, Seth was not there. We got through the day easy, and then we went to her house.

Her parents were there, drinking coffee in the living room. Kate's parents weren't strict or mean; they were strong willed, and disciplined Kate and Chris. They were kind to me; her mom reminded me of my own; she's tall, dresses nicely, even if she isn't going anywhere. She has long black hair and her skin was golden brown. Her dad was like a father you'd see on TV; he's got a beer belly, slightly bald, and dressed in sweats and t-shirts. He used to work for my dad, but went off and started a carpet cleaning business.

Tina and Jon; Chris and Kate look just like them.

They waved at us as we entered; "Hey Naomi." Jon said with a wave.

"Hi Mr. Gutierrez." I greeted, "Hello Mrs. Gutierrez."

"Are you two studying tonight?" Tina asked.

"Yeah." Kate said softly. "We'll be down in the basement."

"Your brother is down there." Tina informed her. "Don't bug him."

"I'm not." Kate said and turned to me, "C'mon."

I followed Kate down to the basement; there was a long screech from a guitar. We trudged down the stairs, seeing Chris in a chair with an electric guitar. He looked up at us, "'Sup?"

"I need to talk to you." Kate tossed her backpack in the worn leather couch.

"What about?" Chris asked, strumming the guitar.

I sat down on the couch and tried not to listen. There was no use; Kate was going to tell Chris, and I didn't understand why then.

"Eric knocked me up." She stated insouciantly.

Chris dropped the guitar just then; the amp made a whining noise. I grimaced; Chris stood and turned the amp off, "Are you kidding me?"

"No, Christopher." She growled. "I need your help."

"Help you do what?" He muttered.

"Tell mom and dad."

Chris scoffed, "No way. They'll crucify you, Kate."

"Please, Chris. I don't ask for much."

Chris turned and looked at me; his face in a small scowl, but smoothed over. "Naomi, Pete wants to see you. I think you should go and call him."

That was my cue to leave. I stood up, "I'll, um, see you guys later." I went over and hugged Kate, "Call me if you need anything."

Kate nodded, "I will, thank you."

I nodded and said my goodbyes. I went upstairs and said bye to Tina and Jon. I left there house and pulled the hood of my coat; the clouds were thick, rain was impending.

I hurried home, rushing down the block; I paused when a car pulled up beside me just a block away from my house. I stopped and looked; there was Pete. I frowned slightly, "How the hell are you driving?"

"I sobered up." He answered, "Andy told me what happened, get in."

I pulled open the passenger door; it creaked loudly and I had to slam it twice to shut the door securely. I pulled my hood down and shook my hair out. Pete jolted forward and began to drive; "Where are we going?" I asked.

"My place."

I gave a nod. I looked at Pete; the skin around his eyes were darkened, he looked drained, pale. He wore a snug hoodie, his hands trembled slightly.

"Why did you steal my pills?" I finally questioned.

"Ain't it obvious?" He muttered dissonantly.

"No." I muttered.

"I take pills to feel good." He answered quietly.

I furrowed my brow, "Thats not good. Why so many? What the hell happened to you last night?"

"I saw the girl who broke my heart." He stated disjointedly.

I paused, unsure of what to say. "Um...but, why the pills?"

"Escaping, Naomi." He said quietly. "She's the reason why I tried to kill myself."

My eyes grew wide, "You actually..." My voice trailed. "Why?" I exclaimed.

"I felt like shit, Naomi." He grumbled. "I hated everything, everyone. She just left me. Her name is Jana."

"I don't care what her name is."

"Well, now you know."

We were quiet. I swallowed, curious; Pete felt like a stranger to me. He had said he wanted to kill himself, but it was just because he hated his pills. It was evident that I did not know Pete like I thought I did.

I kept my mouth shut, not asking all the questioned floating in my head. I knew I had to wait until we got to his apartment.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait, I had a long day.
I hope this chapter suits you all, I hope I didn't disappoint you