Status: Hopefully a better rewrite (fingers and hearts crossed)

Take This to Your Grave

This was all a happy mistake

The next day, I woke up and got ready for school. I was so sluggish; I managed to eat some cereal and then I remembered to call Kate. I picked up the phone, dialed her number and waited.

"Hello?" It was Mr. Gutierrez who answered.

"Hi Mr. Gutierrez, is Kate--"

He cut me off, "Kate isn't going to be picking you up anymore, Naomi. Kate is being under lock and key until we say so; so no friends."

His tone was tough and hard. I had swallowed, and answered meekly, "Oh...okay, Mr. Gutierrez."

"Goodbye, Naomi."

He hung up before I could say anything. I put the phone down and returned to the kitchen. Amy and my dad were eating and talking, sipping coffee. "Hey, um, can one of you drop me off at school? Kate's...grounded."

"Grounded?" My dad raised a brow.

I bit at my lip, "Uh, she's not allowed to see her friends or go out and apparently, pick me up."

My dad hummed, "What'd she do to deserve all that?" It was a casual question.

"If I tell you, you promise not to get all preachy and upset with me?"

The both of them looked at me; "What'd she do?" Amy echoed my dad's words.

I licked over my lips, "She's pregnant."

My dad damn near dropped his mug; the hot coffee slushed around the rim and fell onto the counter top. Amy's jaw slacked, her brow raised, "What?"

"She got pregnant by some jerk off." I added. "I don't like him, I don't like his friends and I feel really bad for her. Her parents are more than likely really pissed off with her."

My dad shook his head, "I thought that girl knew better."

"She does," I said in a defensive way, "She just made one mistake."

"I told you, Naomi," my dad began, "This isn't one mistake, it's a big, big one."

Amy frowned at him, "Lee, c'mon, that's her friend."

"Not anymore." My dad grumbled as he took a sip; he set his mug down, "You cannot hang out with her--"

I cut him off, "She's already pregnant, what's the worse she can do?"

My dad sighed, nearly throwing his hands up, "Okay. You have sex, Naomi -especially unprotected, you're dead, you got me?"

"Yes, dad." I murmured. "So, who's taking me to school?"


I pulled my coat closer to my body as I hurried into school. The rain was impending, the clouds fat, thick with rain fall; possibly snow. I managed to not slip in my old boots.

I got to my locker and luckily saw Kate. I went over to her; "Katy, hey."

Kate looked at me, her eyes dull, expression flat; "Hey."

"What happened?" I asked her softly.

"I told my parents. They went ballistic; they called Eric and told his parents, who yelled and called me a whore." Her voice got tight and her eyes swelled with tears, "They told me they don't want anything to do with me or my baby."

I frowned and hugged her, "I'm so sorry, Katy."

"Thank you. I just dunno what to do." Her arms tightened.

"Are you going to keep your baby?"

She nodded, "They're making me. They told me that I didn't have a choice."

We parted and I looked to her; she wiped her face, "Do you want the baby?"

She nodded, "Yeah, of course. They're a part of me, Nay."

"I'm not judging you," I smiled at her, "I can't wait to see your baby, too. I'll throw you a baby shower and help you name him or her."

She laughed softly, "Thanks, really."

"It's no problem. And if anyone gives you shit, I'll beat their ass."

Kate started to laugh again, and then she hugged and squeezed me, "You're the God Mother."

I chuckled, "I'm so honored, Katy."


The school day had passed and I exited with Kate, talking as we waited for our parents. She shifted and looked to me curiously, "Do you think that this is a good idea? Ya'know, keeping the baby?"

"Well, I mean, it's unconventional, but it's not a bad thing, Kate. You'll love your baby, even if this was a small accident...a happy accident."

Kate smiled at me, again, her eyes were teary. She hugged me again, "I love ya, Naomi."

I patted her back, giving a small laugh, "I love you, too, Kate."

She let me go and rubbed away her tears; she exhaled, a car horn sounded and Kate looked over. It was her mom; "I gotta go. I'll see you tomorrow."

I waved to her as she jogged over to her mom's SUV. My dad came a few minutes later; I climbed into the cab, "Hey."

"How was school?"

"Uh, good. Ya'know, no one gossiped or stared at me."

"Great." He chuckled. My dad drove, looking forward; "I'm going to be late comin' home; Amy should be home by 5. Is that okay?"

I nodded, "Yep."

"I'll buy you a pizza. You don't let anyone into the house."

"Dad, I don't have any friends; Kate is on lockdown."

He gave a small nod, "I'm just checking."

"I'll be good." I teased him.

•••

After my dad had dropped me off, I went over to Ricky's. Of course, he and I got high and watch TV until 4. I had waved as I left out the side door of his garage; I had to get home before Amy to change my clothes so she wouldn't smell the weed on me.

As I walked home, high in a daze, a car pulled up beside me. I frowned when I saw Pete cruising closely; "Naomi, what the hell are you doing?"

I crossed my arms, "Goin' home, whadda you care?"

"Get in the car." He ordered.

"Why?" I kept walking and he kept cruising.

"Because it's gonna snow, you idiot."

I stopped and shot him a glare, "Don't call me an idiot."

He sighed, "I apologize, Naomi. Please get in the car."

I didn't hesitate to take his second offer; I climbed in; "Were you following me?"

"No, I was leaving Chris's and I saw you. Where were you?"

"With my friend Ricky."

"You're crazy, you know that? That dude could--"

"He isn't gonna do anything." I muttered.

"So, is this what you're gonna be doing now? Rushing home from school and getting high with Ricky?"

I snarled at him, "Yeah! Maybe I am, who cares? It's my damn life."

"I care!" Pete shouted. "I care about you! You don't know that guy--"

"Like you should be talking! You sneak into my bedroom whenever you feel like it!" I spat out. "Even when I barely knew you, you snuck into my bedroom!"

"That's not the same thing," he growled, "I never planned to rape you."

"Oh, and you think that pothead is? Ricky can barely get off his couch, what would make him bounce up and pounce on me? Huh?!"

Pete gripped the steering wheel and took a sharp turn. I held onto the dash; he straightened out, "I should tell your dad."

"Oh," I started sarcastically, "Go and tell on little Naomi who goes and smokes pot with some guy. Like he'll believe you. And you have your nerve; you pop pills like they're fuckin' tic-tacs!"

Pete gave a throaty growl and sped up. I was suddenly sorry about what I said and fearful of my life; he reckless driving could kill us. "Pete, slow the hell down!"

He did listen to me; with the icy street, he could careen into another car or a tree or a house. He seemed skillful as he drove, driving right by my house, pass the liquor store 6 blocks down, pass the park; I had no clue where he was taking me.

"Slow down!" I screamed at him.

As he hit the streets in the busy downtown area, cars honked at him and his car skidded. Finally, a police car rolled up behind us, siren and lights blaring behind us. Pete's chest moved up and down fast; he growled again and found a safe place to park.

I felt like throwing up when we slowed. I held my stomach, opened the door and began to throw up chips, crackers, peanut butter and -what felt like gallons of Mountain Dew. The cop had gotten out and came towards my side, "Miss, are you alright?"

"No!" I spewed and groaned.

The officer leaned over towards the open door and looked at Pete; "Will you explain to me why you were speeding, son?"

Pete exhaled, "My girlfriend is sick, sir. I was trying to get her to Northwestern Memorial hospital."

"That's no need for you to be doing an 80 in a 25. Give me your license and registration."

I wiped my mouth and leaned back into the car. I let out a throaty groan, "I'm sorry, officer."

"It's alright, miss. Are you sick?"

I nodded, "It's the weather."

He gave a nod; "Stay put, keep your head back."

I did as he said; he moved around the car and to the driver side. I didn't look at as he took Pete's license and retreated to his car. "You idiot." I grumbled.

"Shut up." He muttered back. "It's your fault, you pissed me off."

I turned my head, "Really?" I began, again, sarcastically, "My words made you smash the gas on your shitty car?"

"Shut up." He ordered again.

I rolled my eyes and looked up at the roof; my stomach felt empty, my head was hurting. The officer returned, handing the license back to Pete, "I'm letting you off with a warning because your girlfriend is sick. You slow down and get her there safely."

"Thanks, sir." Pete murmured.

"No problem. You get better, little lady."

"Thank you." I said softly.

The officer left again; I could hear his boots squeak on the pavement and then him entering his car. Pete turned the car back on and began to drive, slow this time; we were quiet as he drove, making a u-turn after a moment and making his way towards the suburbs. He was white knuckling it as he drove the speed limit; "Calm down." I said in a soft murmur.

"I told you to shut up." I snapped.

"Fuck you, Pete." I bit back in anger. "You're such an asshole, I can't stand you!"

"Then why the fuck are you friends with me?" He shot his eyes at me and then back at the road.

"I never wanted to be friends with you!" I spoke heatedly and with fury. "You're the one who forced this on me! You're the one who made me lie to my dad, sneak around and worry about you! I never, ever asked for this! You did this, this is not my fault!"

He did not retort. He didn't do anything; his face held no emotion now. I was breathing hard and I was on the verge of tears, out of frustration.

He got to my house, stopped, and then he said, "Get out."

I was shaking with anger; I got out and slammed the door, causing the windows to rattle. I ran around the car and up the sidewalk and up the pathway. He drove off before I made inside the gate; I rushed into the house, slamming the door behind me.

"Naomi."

I had forgotten Amy was here. I was still panting when she came around the corner and gave me a worried look; "Was that who I think it was?"

"What?" I asked sharply.

Amy's brows rose a bit, "Naomi, are you seeing Pete?"