Status: Hopefully a better rewrite (fingers and hearts crossed)

Take This to Your Grave

It's all about the truth and trust

That Sunday, Amy and my dad left over to the Wentzs, leaving me with curious wonder and anticipation. I had seen them out, down in the living room; I shifted my feet, returning to the couch. The phone as I had sat, and I reached over to pick up the receiver, "Hello?"

"Naomi?"

I was a bit surprised to her my mom's voice. She hasn't called for my birthday or Thanksgiving.

"Mom?"

"Yeah, it's me honey. How are things? You don't call."

I leaned on the arm of the couch, "I did call, actually, about 10 times though the summer."

"Oh." She had gone silent for a moment. "I'm sorry that I haven't been available, things are hectic. Margo moved in with us, and she keeps changing everything."

"Leo's mom?" She hummed. "What for?"

"She busted her hip, but at least she watches the girls for us. Enough about us; how are things?"

"Good. I've made a lot of friends...I broke my finger awhile back, but it's all healed. Oh, and I'm sort of modeling for extra cash at the mall."

"Really?" She sounded excited. "Are you having fun? What about your grades?"

"I'm--" I stopped when I head a loud thump. "Um, I'm...hold on, mom." I set the receiver down and got off the couch; I peered around the hall leading to the staircase. I wasn't alarmed, more curious; I slowly started towards the stairs and went up a few steps.

I jumped in place when I saw Pete come walking down the hall. "Hey!" He said with a grin.

"You ass! I'm on the phone with my mom!" I hissed.

He chuckled, "Sorry."

"My old man is next door, what the hell are you doing here?"

"I saw them," Pete replied. "That's why I decided to come over."

"And you couldn't use the front door like a normal person?"

"Do I seem normal to you, Navy?"

I growled, "Be quiet, I'm on the phone, you jerk off."

He smiled and came down the stairs, planting a kiss on my cheek. I rolled my eyes and returned to the living room; Pete plopped down beside me as I picked up the phone; "Mom?"

"What's going on?"

"Nothing, I thought I heard something."

"Geez Louise, Naomi, you scared me half to death."

"I'm fine, sorry about that."

"It's okay. Now, what was this about breaking your fingers?"

"Uh, I got mad and hit the dashboard of my dad's truck."

"What for?"

"We got into an argument, that's all. It wasn't anything bad."

"Oh, alright. Did anything else happen? Do you have a boyfriend?"

I looked over at Pete and then shook my head to myself. "No, no. There's nothing really happening here."

"I'm sorry I missed your birthday." She said after a moment. "I'll send you something for Christmas."

"Uh, yeah, thanks, mom."

"I love you, honey. I hope to see you soon."

"Yeah. Bye mom."

Her end clicked and I hung up after. I looked over at Pete again, unsure of what to say, or really how to feel. It was as if I was shell shocked having listening to her voice.

"What'd your mom say?" Pete asked.

"She just wanted to see how I was doing." I shook my head again. "What're you doing here?"

"I wanted to see you. My mom was telling me how your dad was gonna talk about us."

I rolled my eyes, "There's nothing to talk about."

"And what is that suppose to mean?" He teased.

"We never did anything and we don't do anything. I haven't seen you in almost a month, too."

He was quiet.

"Hey, uh, Pete," he looked at me, "I'm sorry about what I said...I was just mad, and I know that you were just--"

"It's cool." He said over me. "Are you still with that Ricky guy?"

I scoffed, "I was never with Ricky, and I only see him on occasion. I'm friends with his friend William; Bilvy. We have more in common."

Pete hummed, "Is he your type?"

"No, Pete." I exasperated. "And, who was that girl you were with when I saw you at the mall?"

He smirked, "Eve. She's this kinky gothic girl; she's hot."

I cocked a brow, "Good for you."

"She isn't my girlfriend--"

I cut him off, "You just fuck 'er, right?"

He laughed, "No."

"Liar."

He shook his head; "Okay, so I do, what's the big deal?"

"I never said there was," I folded my arms around my middle, "I was just simply getting the truth outta you."

"It doesn't bother you?" He questioned.

"Why should it? You aren't my boyfriend."

Okay, it did bother me just a bit. A lot of shit Pete does bothers the mess out of me. Still, I would never admit it; I wanted to keep a level head as much as I could. I didn't want him to know he would have me with a snap of his fingers. It's true, he could have me at any given moment and I would probably have a tough decision on whether or not I regret it.

"So," Pete started, "You're a model now? Permanently?"

I shook my head, "I hate it, I'm only doing it for the money."

"You look good, Naomi, you should keep it up."

"Nope."

"Just because you don't like it?"

"Yes."

"What do you wanna do then?"

"I don't know." I murmured. "What do you wanna do?"

"I don't know either." He placed his arm around my shoulders, "I wanna run away with you."

I rested my head against his chest, "Are you sure?"

"Yep. I've already decided."

I chuckled, "You'll be waiting, though."

"I don't mind."


Pete had gone just before Amy and my dad returned. I was still on the couch, feet up, watching TV. I looked over as they stepped in; their coats gone; "What's the verdict?"

My dad looked at me with a raised brow, "You aren't in trouble."

"Well, what did you guys talk about?" I pondered.

They both sat in the love seat across to me; Amy opened her mouth, "Um, Dale told us how much of a help you've been to Pete."

I raised a brow, "Help?"

"You've curved his attitude and his depression greatly." She answered.

"I did?" I was utterly confused.

Is that what I did for him?

My dad sighed, "Dale said that Pete's been a lot happier since he's met you."

My dad didn't look too happy.

"Oh." I nearly whispered. "You don't like this, do you?"

"I don't like any form of you two being alone together." He voiced. "That's all I worry about."

"I'm not...I'm responsible." I stammered to say.

"I know you are," my dad exhaled, "I just don't know that kid."

"He's a nice guy, dad."

My dad gave a small shrug, "If you say so."

I felt frustrated, but I didn't say anything. I sat back, looking away; Amy had tapped his arm; "Give her some credit, at least she's being honest with you now. She isn't lying or yelling."

My dad sat forward, "Alright. He's not your boyfriend, you understand?"

I looked over at him, "I never said he was and he isn't."

"You aren't allowed to be alone with him; you can talk on the phone, but that's it. He can't sneak in or come over when I'm not here. If he does come over when we're here, you can't take him to your room."

I nodded slowly. "So, I'm allowed to be his friend?"

My dad exhaled, "Yes." He said this regrettably.

I was completely unsure of what to say, how to respond. I tweaked my lips, "I respect your rules and I'll follow them, promise."

He just gave another nod.

"We trust you, Naomi." Amy said.

"Thanks." I mumbled.

I didn't tell them my mom called; I had forgotten, with the whole Pete and I fiasco. I had thought about over dinner, but decided not to say anything. There was too much going on anyway.
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize about how lame this chapter is; my head is elsewhere.
There may be another chapter coming in a few hours if I manage to get my shit together