Status: Hopefully a better rewrite (fingers and hearts crossed)

Take This to Your Grave

I won't think of you when it happens

Sunday afternoon I got the call that Kate's baby had been born. I had giggled on the phone with Babette; "I'll be there in a few hours, I was going to go out with Mike."

"Bring him along," Babette urged, "He can look at the baby from the nursery."

I hummed, "I'll see if he wants--"

I was cut off by a shout on the other end; "Tell Naomi to get here! She's the Godmother after all!"

"Oh my gosh," I muttered with a laugh, "I'll be there, but I can't stay all day."

Babette laughed too, "See you soon."

"Yeah."

I hung up with her and called Mike up; "Hey, what's up?"

"Kate had her baby and she wants me to come and see her and the baby. Is it okay if we drop by real quick?"

"Yeah, sure." Mike agreed; "For how long, though?"

"Like 20 minutes. It won't be long, I promise."

"Alright, I'll see you in a few."

I hung up with him and went to put my sneakers on; my dad stopped me along the stairs, "What's the rush, kid?"

"Mike is taking me to go see Kate; she had her baby."

"Alright, but come back down when you're done, I've got something for you."

I chuckled, "More surprises?"

He nodded, "Yep."

Shaking my head, I hurried up the stairs, "I'll be down in a sec."

I hurriedly put my shoes on and made my way back downstairs. My dad and Amy were standing by the couch; their stance reminded me of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I cocked a brow, "What's going on?"

They smiled and my dad began, "I decided to get you something for graduating."

"Uh, okay." I mumbled.

He handed me a wrapped gift; a box with wrapping paper that had little graduation caps on it. It made me laugh a bit; I tore open the paper and saw it was a cell phone box. I looked up at him, "Are you jokin'?"

He shook his head, "Nope."

I opened the box and surprisingly I found a phone. I was surprised because my dad loves to play pranks on me. I took the phone out and examined it, "This is so cool."

The phone was kinda chunky, but all cellphones were nowadays; Pete's was the same.

"I thought you'd need it," my dad added, "Uh...I put my pager number in there, work number, Amy's number...emergencies, ya'know."

"Thanks, dad, Amy." I smiled at them.

"It's more of your dad's gift for you. Mine will be on your big day, honey."

I bit at my lip, "You guys are awesome." I hugged them, "Thanks so much."

They both gave small laughs; a horn honked outside; "Oh, uh, Mike's here. I'll be back soon. I love you guys."

They both said goodbyes as I headed out the door. I jogged over to Mike's car; the phone still in my hand; I climbed in, "Hey, look what they got me."

Mike looked at my phone, "Damn, yours looks better than mine."

"That's because you've had yours for forever."

"Lemme see it." He said.

I handed it to him; he began to push buttons; "I put my number in there."

"Thanks, babe." I kissed his cheek.

"No problem."

Mike drove off; we talked a bit, but most of the ride we were quiet. When we got to the hospital, I led the way to the maternity ward; Mike held my hand loosely. We stopped when we got to the waiting room area; I saw Pete there, sitting.

That's when guilt riddled me. I nawed at my lip, unsure of what to do or say. Pete got up, he came over, "Hey, Navy."

My face warmed, "Hi Pete." I cleared my throat, "Uh, this is my boyfriend Mike," I looked at Mike, smiling a bit, forcibly, "Mike, this is Pete."

"Hey, whats up, man. Naomi told me you guys are good friends."

Pete just looked at him, and then this smirk crept upon his lips, "Did she? What else did she tell you?"

My hear was racing, I was going to throw up, or pass out. I looked at Mike; I'm sure I looked like a guilty bitch.

"Uh, not much." He answered.

Pete hummed, "I thought so." With that, Pete walked around us and left.

My throat tightened, facing burning like the goddamn sun, and my heart was nearly beating out of my skin. I was afraid, more so nervous to look at Mike.

"He's fuckin' weird." Mike said after a moment.

I felt relieved, my heart slowed, "Yeah," I breathed, "He's...out there."

I still held Mike's hand as I led him towards the nursery where we stopped to see the babies. We didn't see Kate's baby, so we continued on to her recovery room; I knocked on the door and then pushed it open. Inside, Chris and Babette were sitting on the small couch in there, and Kate's parents were seated in the chairs talking to each other. I felt a bit nervous when I entered with Mike, but Kate smiled and waved us in; "He just woke up, come look at 'im."

I let go of Mike's hand and went over to Kate's bedside. I looked over at her baby; "Aw, he looks like you, Katy."

"Do you wanna hold him?"

I shook my head, "No, I'll probably drop him."

"Oh, c'mon," she urged, "He's your Godson."

I inhaled, "Okay, I'll do it, but don't say I didn't warn you."

Kate scoffed, "Hush up. Hold your arms out."

I did as she said, cradling the baby; I felt nervous doing it, but I got comfortable after awhile. The baby had big brown eyes and he looked like Kate and Chris both; I didn't see Eric in him at all. He's adorable.

"Hi cutie." I cooed to him.

I gave the baby back to Kate; we talked for a bit before Mike and I left. He took ahold of my hand and for some odd reason I felt sadness sweep me. It was hard to pinpoint what it was, it bothered me greatly and wanted it to go away.

In his car, I bit at my lip, thinking; Mike concentrated on driving. "He's a cute kid." Mike said.

I looked over at him and gave a small laugh to my sudden thought, "Yeah, because he looks like Kate."

He hummed a small laugh. We continued to ride in silence as I thought deeply about my sudden sullen feeling.

"Are you okay?" Mike asked.

"Yeah..." I trailed.

"There's something goin' on, Naomi." He smiled softly at me.

I finally realized what it was. It was Pete and the fact that I was cheating on Mike.

"I don't know." I murmured; I looked straight ahead, I could feel his eyes on me.

"Is it about Pete?" He asked curiously.

"No." I lied. "Not at all."

"Are you sure? He seemed all weird when we saw him."

I looked over at him, "He's always fuckin' weird."

Mike laughed softly, "Well, what is it then? You always seem to think a lot; always in deep thought."

"I think too much," I relayed, "I'm sorry."

I meant this in ways he wouldn't know. I was sorry for cheating, I was sorry I was so disconnected. He made me happy, but he wasn't who I wanted, and it made me terribly frustrated.

"It's okay, ya'know, you're smart."

I smiled, "I'm not, I'm just an idiot who worries too much."

"You aren't aware of yourself, are you?" Mike spoke humorously.

"I suppose not."

"You don't know how special you are, Naomi."

I furrowed my brow, "I am not."

"You are." His crooked smile appeared, making my heart race.

"You're too cute, Mike."

His laugh made butterflies filled my gut. "You are too."

"Ugh, I hate you." I joked.

He smirked, "Oh, I hate you, too."


I wasn't sure what came over me when Mike and I were alone in his house, in his room, on his bed, kissing like lovesick fools. His touch wasn't like Pete's; his hands were cautious, unsure of where to trek. My heart race manically when his hand ran up my shirt and rubbed my skin, up and down.

We kissed deeply, his hands growing bolder as the kissing got harder and heated. My hands were on his shoulders; I wasn't sure what to do, but I wasn't even thinking. My body jolted when his hand pushed under my bra and squeezed my breast gently. I groaned, and dropped my hands to tug at his shirt. Within moments his shirt was off and so was mine; we went right back to kissing, hands exploring.

When we parted, we removed more clothing; the both of like rabid animals. I wasn't thinking at all, I just needed a release and it was Mike. Seeing him this way, half nude, sparked this feeling in my chest; it was like I couldn't breathe. Still, I removed my bra and looked at him with an unsure thought bubble in my head. Mike smiled at me, kissing me again; he pulled back and looked down at me, "Are we gonna do this?"

I knew I shouldn't of, but did; I gave a nod, "Yeah."

Mike licked his lips and then reached over to bedside drawer; he opened the middle and felt around; I watched his face, his dirty blonde hair was shaggy, having just been trimmed. I love his hair, I love his smile; hell I love a lot of things about him, but he wasn't Pete. I didn't think of Pete during these hazy, lustful and BIG moment of my life. It was just Mike and I, and the heat and the dumb decision we were gonna make. It didn't seem so dumb at the time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well...
You hate me, don't you?

(shameless plug time!:
Deadliest Weapons
Critical Obsession
Put On Your Warpaint
Landfill)