Status: Hopefully a better rewrite (fingers and hearts crossed)

Take This to Your Grave

The patrient saints of liars and lovers

The big moment was interrupted by Mike's mom calling his name. We both paused, eyes as wide as dinner plates.

"Michael! Where the heck are you?" She called up the stairs.

Mike scrambled off of me and we fumbled to get dressed. I lost my underwear and just put my jeans on without them. I fastened my bra, threw on my shirt and pulled my shoes on.

"Ma!" Mike called as soon as his shirt was on, "I'm up here, I'm gonna take Naomi home."

His mom called back, "You better not be having sex!"

"We aren't!"

I snickered and combed my hair back with my hand. He opened the door, his mom's footsteps came up the stairs; he sat with me, looking around, I guess for evidence; he founded my underwear and shoved them into his pocket. His mom arrived and stopped at the threshold; "Hello Naomi."

"Hi Mrs. Donovan." I waved at her.

She came in and looked around, "I hope you weren't doing what I think you were doing."

"Never." I assured her softly, "Trust me, Mrs. Donovan, we were not having sex." I tucked my hair behind my ear.

Mrs. Donovan smiled, believing me, "I do trust you. Is Michael taking you home?"

I nodded, "Just about."

Mike and I stood; I said my goodbye as we headed down the stairs. His mom patted my shoulder and shut the door behind us.

Mike cursed under his breath, "Tonight is the night she has to come home early?"

I giggled, "Maybe she has a sixth sense, Mikey."

"Ugh, don't call me that. My mom calls me that when I do something good."

We climbed into his car and I kissed his cheek, "I love you, Mikey." I mocked him.

He shook his head and grumbled, "Boner killer."

Mike drove me on home, idling in front of my house; I leaned over the seat and kissed his lips. Mike pulled me back, deepening the kiss, causing me to squeal. It was getting pretty hot and heavy when someone slammed their hand on the good of his car. We jumped apart and looked forward; there was Pete with a smug look on his face. I narrowed my eyes at him; "Jerk."

"That guy has a fuckin' hard on for you." Mike grumbled.

"He likes to torture me." I excused; I exhaled, "I'll see you, okay?"

He stopped me, "Here." he pulled my underwear from his pocket.

I laughed, "Thanks."

He gave a nod and kissed my cheek; I got out and headed up the path; Mike took off just as I got on the porch. I opened the door and went in; I went to the kitchen to eat, and settled on an apple.

The house was quiet, "Dad?"

I went into the living room, biting into my apple, and saw champagne and I thought momentarily. "Dad?" I called again; I went to the stairs and listened. Moans were heard and I quickly rushed out the house.

"Ew!" I screeched and tossed my apple.

"Ew what?"

I stopped my fit; I saw Pete coming up the path. "My dad and Amy are doing it."

He hummed, "That is gross."

"I know. What are you here for? At your folks?"

He nodded, "Yeah, had to get more of my stuff."

"Oh." I sat on the steps.

Pete came over and sat beside me; "Are you mad at me?"

I looked at him and thought; I groaned at the memory; "You're a dick."

He laughed, "Yeah, so what? Did buddy boy yell at you for it? I saw that you two made up, if he had."

I shook my head, answering, "He thinks you're weird and that you have a hard on for me."

"I do." He chuckled.

"Fuck off." I jested. "You embarrassed me, ya'know."

"I'm not sorry. I want you to break up with him."

"What for?" I spat out.

"Because I want you." He stated simply.

"Yeah, well I like Mike and he likes me."

"You love me, though."

I scoffed, "My dad approves of Mike."

"You act like I care what your old man thinks or approves of."

Nibbling at my lip, I tried to think of a good comeback, but I was flat out. I sighed, "I can't break his heart."

"You already cheated on him." Pete pointed out.

"I don't think what we did counts as cheating." I knew it was, I just wanted to gaze his reaction.

"Oh, babe, it is." He assured with a lustful glare.

I was rendered speechless. I looked down, thinking. "My head hurts."

Pete put his hand on my head and began to massage his fingers through my hair, massaging my scalp. I laughed softly, "You're so weird."

"I know."

I let out a soft moan; his fingers were working. He leaned into my ear, "Feel good?"

I hummed, "Yeah."

He went slower and then began to kiss behind my ear. I bit at my bottom lip, let out a soft moan; "You have to stop, Pete."

"Nope." He kissed down the side of my neck.

"You have to." I told him.

He pulled back, "Why?"

His mouth was on mine before I could say anything. He pulled back, his hand fell from my head, "No one can see us."

"It's not that." I exhaled.

"Then?"

I swallowed, "Mike--"

He cut me off, "Fuck him."

Nervously laughing, I said, "I almost did."

Pete scooted back, surprising me; he looked at me with a slacked jaw, "What?"

I exhaled, "It wasn't anything--"

"Did you fuck him?" He questioned, standing now.

"No." I said, "We almost did, but his mom came home."

Pete just looked at me, not speaking a word. He didn't need to say anything, that deathly glare said so much. He was angry at me for some reason, he had no right to be and I told him so.

"Have you already?" He questioned with a sharp edge to his voice.

"No."

He turned back from me, hands on his hips.

"You can't be mad at me!" I stood up, "You're not my boyfriend, you're not my guardian or my dad, so you can't be mad at me."

Pete turned back, his lip quivering; he was so pissed. "I'm just gonna leave before I say some shit that I'll regret."

I crossed my arms, "You do that, you asshole."

He paused with his back to me. He exhaled and continued down the pathway, to his car parked in front of his parents. I grumbled and sat down on the steps; stupid Pete...stupid me for opening my damn mouth.

•••

Mike and I didn't have sex; the last week of school, I made sure to make stories up so we couldn't hang out. I hated myself for it, but I wasn't feeling up to being around him.

I spent the majority of my time with Kate, looking after little Julian. Her house was quiet, except the occasional cry from Julian. I hadn't told her about Mike and I; I wanted to, but I didn't know how to explain it. I kept my mouth shut.

"How come you aren't with Mike?" She asked quizzically

"I wanted to hang with you." I said.

Kate smirked at me, "You're a damn liar, Nay."

I frowned slightly, looking at Julian asleep between Kate and I. "Look...I think I'm gonna break up with Mike."

"Why?" She didn't seem surprised.

"Because." I answered.

"Because why?"

I looked at her, "I want Pete."

She rolled her eyes, "I'm being serious with you, okay? Don't take it to heart, but Pete isn't going to be like Mike at all. He's gonna cheat on you, he's going to be a jerk off, believe me."

"I don't think so." I defiantly replied softly.

"Does Pete look at you with Love or Lust?"

"I dunno."

"How does Mike look at you?"

I chuckled, "Like he's a kid in a candy store. He really likes me."

"Then stay with Mike, forget Pete. He just wants to fuck you, that's all."

I bit at my lip, "You think I should?"

"Yes." She answered simply.

I sighed, "Okay."

"I mean, if you want to, Naomi," she added softly, "I'm not demanding you to do something you don't want to, or be with someone you don't want to be with."

"I do want to be with Mike, I just want to be with Pete, too."

"Well, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Unless you're a really good cheater." She shrugged at this.

I hung my head, "Yeah."

I took what Kate said and kept it with me. I would stay with Mike because I want to, and Pete would just...be my friend. I promised myself that I wouldn't do anything with Pete; we wouldn't kiss and touch -nothing. I wasn't sure how hard that would be. Pete is relentless.

•••

The last day of school, Mike and I went and picked up our cap and gown. After, he and I got into his car and drove to get something to eat. We were quiet, but there was that lingering that felling that something needed to be said.

"Mike?" I called his name softly; he looked at me briefly, "Are you okay?"

He nodded, "Yeah, why do you ask?"

"You just seem tense." I acknowledged.

Mike kept quiet, pulling into a fast food parking lot. He sighed, putting the car into park and turning it off; "Naomi, are you trying to break up with me?"

My brows shot up, "N-no, why do you--what makes you think that?"

"You've been avoiding me the entire week. You didn't even stay with me to see the stupid senior prank, or you made an excuse not to go out with us."

I was quiet and then I began to explain; "I'm not breaking up with you...I thought about it, because...I wasn't sure about us." I exhaled, eyes down at my lap, "I don't know...I-I feel lost and unsure." I scratched my head.

"Unsure about us?"

I nodded, "I apologize, Mike, for my...behavior, being distant." I looked up at him, "I don't know what's going on in my head, it's like a damn tug-of-war."

"Is it because we..." He trailed and I nodded. "Hey, look, we won't do it again unless you want to."

I coursed my hair back, "Yeah, it's okay. I'm...I'll make sure to, uh, let you know...?" I felt embarrassed. "Sorry, I don't know what to say."

We both let out small laughs.

"Alright, Naomi, lets just eat and forget about it all. Sound good?"

I exhaled and nodded, "Yeah."

After we ate, we went to my house; there was a silver car parked out front that I hadn't recognized. Mike and I looked it over; "That car is fuckin' bad ass." He said with intrigue.

"If I know anything, it's possibly my mom, but I doubt it." I added.

Mike and I pulled our eyes away from the shiny car and went inside. I could hear my dad and Amy speaking and then pause when we entered. "Whose car is that out front?" I asked them.

My dad smiled; Mike and I plopped on the couch; "Amy's."

"Oh, cool," I looked over at her beside my dad, "Nice car."

"Yeah, I bought it because I figured that I needed a new one. So, then I wondered what to do with my old car." She gave me a knowing look, "I didn't want to sell it, and I absolutely could not just let it sit in the drive way...so I'm giving it to you as a graduation present."

My brows shot up, "Say what?"

My dad nodded, "Her old car is yours; she had to convince me."

She giggled, "A lot of convincing, but he relented when I said that you would need a way to get to school."

It didn't register yet. "So, your old Jetta is mine?"

Amy nodded, "Yes, Naomi."

I grinned, "For real? No kidding? You aren't gonna say you were pulling my leg and laugh at my expense, are ya?"

They both shook their heads and then Amy pulled out the car keys and tossed them to me. I held them in my hand and gawked; "Holy cow."

I stood up and rushed to her, pulling her into a hug; "Thank you! Thank you! I love you, Amy!"

She laughed, hugging me back, "You're welcome, Naomi, I love you, too."

I let her go and then hugged my dad, "Thank you for relenting, papa bear."

He let out a laugh, "Yeah, well, I love you and I don't want you to walk by yourself once school starts."

I let him go and looked at the keys again, "Can I go for a ride?"

Amy hummed, "Of course, it's yours now."

I turned to Mike and tugged his hand, "Lets go, babe!"

He laughed and followed my lead out the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm trying to get more Pete in here, but fuck it's kinda hard