Status: Hopefully a better rewrite (fingers and hearts crossed)

Take This to Your Grave

Throw me a lifejacket and I'll be your friend till the end

Sitting in my car seemed to be a ritual for me, so I can think things over. I was still at the park, in the lot, thinking and coming up with nothing. I wasn't going to cry, I just had a heavy heart and a conflicted mind.

It was out, Mike knew, so there shouldn't be anything for me to worry about. I kept repeating this to myself, but I just felt terrible and wanted to hide. My hiding was me staying in my car; I sat there for maybe an hour, kids had come and pass, running to the jungle gym. I was just sitting there like a creep, or more so an idiot.

After a while, I finally decided to leave. My head was somewhere else, I'm just not sure where, but it was gone. It worked on autopilot; I ended up back at Pete's, my feet had already led me to the door, fist raised, knocking, before I knew that I was there.

Tim opened the door, "Why do you knock?"

"It's polite...?" I replied as I stepped in.

"Just come in next time." He told me with a small chuckle.

I went back to Pete's room, where I found the bed messy, but he wasn't in it. I began to pick up, clean a bit, just to give myself something to do. I made his bed, picked up his dirty clothes and picked up balled up papers and other trash on the floor. After, I kicked my shoes off and got on the bed, lying across it and shutting my eyes. I must've drifted off, because I was jolted up when I felt wet droplets hit my face; I opened my eyes and saw Pete looking down at me.

"What the heck are you doing?" I asked him in a fatigued tone.

He continued to look at me, "What happened to your cheek?"

"Which one?" I patted my cheeks with both hands; I winced when I felt my left cheek.

Pete sat on the bed beside me and tugged me up; I noticed he was just in a towel, his skin still wet from his shower. His eyes scanned my face, and I felt my cheeks get hot; "Did he hit you?" His eyes narrowed now.

"Yeah." I answered simply.

"I'm gonna fuckin'--"

I stopped him by shaking my head, "It's okay, Pete, it was just a slap."

"Just a slap?" He looked at me incredulously. "Did you see your cheek?"

"It's just a little red."

"I'm gonna hurt him." Pete stated as he stood.

"Please don't. I don't need anymore drama."

Pete sat down again, "Naomi, why did he hit you?"

"Because I told him the truth."

His eyes widened -like they had been doing every time I told him something, "Why the hell did you tell him anything?"

"I felt bad! I didn't know he was going to hit me!"

Pete sighed and shook his head, "Goddammit."

He stood up and went to his dresser; I felt my heart sinking, "Please don't be mad at me, Pete. You're the only one I have left on my side and I don't want to lose you because of this."

He turned and looked at me, "You aren't gonna lose me over anything." He made his way back over to me and sat down, "I'm sorry if you thought that."

I sucked in a breath, my hand combing through my hair, "I don't know what to do. I feel stuck in quicksand and you're the only one who can save me...love can't save anyone."

Pete wrapped his arm around me, "You're wrong, Navy."

"No I'm not. It's true, love seems to ruin everyone and it's scary." I looked at him, "It's scary loving you, really loving anyone."

"I know it is," he breathed, "But, I think it's worth it...it's worth the scare, because you spend your time with someone who shares the same interests and creates amazing memories, ya'know?"

"Yeah...but I still don't think it can save you. So, be my friend and throw me a lifejacket."

He kissed my forehead, "Gladly."

"Please, don't blow this out of proportion. Mike and I are through and that's all you need to be worried about."

He stood, his hands cupped my jaw; looking down at me, he gave me this hard look, "I'll try, but if I see him, I'll punch him in the jaw."

I smiled faintly, "He's taller than you, you know."

"He won't see it coming, then."

I shook my head and laughed, "Get dressed, you idiot."

He leaned down and kissed my lips quickly, "I thought you liked seeing me naked."

"Yeah, only when I'm on top of you."

Pete laughed, heading back to his dresser, "Thats what I want to hear."

I scooted back on his bed and watched him get dressed; I made comments about how cute I think his butt is, he only laughed and joked about me staring. He dressed lazily and then got on the bed with me; "Me and Joe were jamming the other day, ya'know, and we thought about starting a band."

"Another band?"

"Yeah."

"Won't that put a strain on you?"

He shook his head, "No, besides it's not like we're gonna be Green Day and Foxboro Hot Tubs; it'll be a completely different line up."

"Hmm...do you think Green Day would ever let Foxboro Hot Tubs open up for them?"

Pete chuckled, "I think if Billie Joe wanted it to happen, he'd make it happen."

"That would be so damn tiring."

"Well, Navy, this ain't the same thing."

"Alright, tell me what your band is about."

"A little less hardcore."

I frowned, "Aw, but I like you and your hardcore-ness."

He smirked at me, "I'm still gonna be in Arma Angelus."

"I know...I wouldn't think you'd leave, because it's like one of the things I've ever seen you passionate about."

"I like music more than I like anything else." He looked over at me, "Not more than you, though."

"Kissing my butt, are you?" I teased.

"A little." He leaned over and kissed my cheek, "I don't ever want you to think you're less than anything but important to me."

I held back a small laugh; he gave me a side glance, "Too cheesy?"

I giggled and nodded, "Oh yeah."

Pete laughed and tackled me into a hug, making me cry out. We play fought, wrestling around the bed until there was a knock on his bedroom door. We stopped and looked over; "What?" Pete called out.

"We're gonna go to Chris'!" Tim said, "Stop bumping uglies!"

Pete sighed and got off of me, "Do you wanna come?"

I smirked at him, "Already did this morning."

Pete laughed that big laugh of his and fell onto his side. I smiled and slugged his arm, "Get up, doofus."

He continued to chuckle and laugh while he got up, "That was the best one I've ever heard."

I rolled my eyes at him playfully, "You're really a doofus."

He smiled, "Do you wanna come with us?"

I shook my head, "I think I should go see if the heat's died down with my folks."

Pete climbed off the bed with me and then he pulled me into a hug, "I don't want you to leave."

"Too bad." I told him.

"Is it bad that I want your dad to kick you out again?"

I slugged him again, "Don't be a jerk."

He kissed my cheek, "I'm just kidding." He looked at my face again, "Make sure he knows I didn't do that."

"Yeah, I know."

He kissed my cheek again, "Come over to Chris' if he's still pissed off."

"Alright."


The walk up to the porch felt like an eternity; my feet managed to get me there. I put my hand on the handle and opened the door; I knew they were both home; both cars were in the drive way. I went in and shut the door behind me; I tried to open my mouth and say something but words escaped me.

"Naomi?" I heard Amy's voice.

I set my keys in the dish just beside the door; "Yeah, it's me."

I rounded my way to the living room; she and my dad were both seated on the couch. The TV was off, and I wondered if they had been watching it or not. I steadily went and sat on the recliner, sitting up.

"So," I began softly, "What's--"

I was cut off by Amy, "What happened to your cheek?!" She stood up quickly and fused over to me quickly.

"Uh, it's nothing, Amy, really."

My dad stood too, coming over as Amy held my jaw in place; "Yikes," she hissed, "Honey, that's gonna bruise!"

"Who did that?" My dad asked next.

"Mike." I replied. "But, don't even bother, we broke up and--"

"That still doesn't give him the right to hit you!" Amy let my jaw go, "I'm gonna get you an ice pack, stay there."

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. My dad sat at the edge of the coffee table; "He didn't hurt you, did he?"

"No, it was just a slap."

"You seem to attract boys who like to get physical."

I scoffed, "Yeah, I know."

"Did he threaten you?"

Amy came back before I could answer and had me hold the ice pack to my cheek; "No, he didn't." I winced slightly.

"Were you with him all this morning?" She asked.

"No, I went to Pete's and then I went and met Mike." I explained. "I'm fine."

"Did you tell Pete about this?" My dad moved the ice pack to see my bruise.

"Yeah, he wants to punch him."

The look in my dad's eyes changed; I saw a little bit of glee in there.

"Are you still mad?" I asked him.

He exhaled, placing the ice pack firmly under my palm, "No. I was just...I don't know what I was thinking."

"Pete's a sweet guy, dad," I began, "If you gave him a chance, you'd like him, too."

"I don't want to like him." He replied, "He's a man and you're my daughter."

Amy slapped his arm with the back of her palm, "Lee, you could at least be civil."

"I am," he exclaimed in a exasperated tone, "I'm letting her be with him."

"You should talk to him, man to man." She suggested.

My brows shot up, "Yeah right. My dad'll kill him before he even opens his mouth!"

"That's not true." They both said.

"Then, you'll give him a chance?" I asked meekly, gazing his reaction.

My dad sighed dramatically, "If I have to."

I smiled just a bit, "You don't have to, but I would like it if you did just tried. I mean," I looked at Amy and then back at him, "You didn't think I'd like Amy and look, I love Amy."

My dad smiled, a tiny one, "Alright, Naomi."

"Thank you, dad." I kissed his cheek, earning a mocking grimace. "Can I bring him over, or am I still kicked out?"

My dad patted my shoulder, "You aren't kicked out, I was just angry; and, yes, you can bring him over."

I grinned, wincing slightly as my cheek stung, "Thank you."


For some reason my heart was up in my throat; I waited for Pete come over, after I had called him and told him what my dad had said. Pete was nervous too; my dad is a lot bigger than Pete and the last thing he wants is to be beaten by my dad. I promised him that my dad wouldn't do anything

He promised me he wouldn't.

So, I wrung my hands as I waited, biting on my lip, fingering my cookie. My folks were off in the living, they too waited, but weren't so squirrelly like myself. I peered out the kitchen window for his car, stomach in knots.

My heart pace picked up when I saw him pull up and park in front of his parents. I watched him get out, come down the sidewalk and began to come up the pathway, he was then hidden by the privacy hedge. I got up, inhaling deeply as he rang the door bell; I made my way to the door, opening it slowly.

Pete exhaled when he saw me and then ran his hand through his hair, "You sure he isn't gonna kill me?"

I stepped aside and let him walk in, "I'm sure."

"He doesn't have a gun, does he?"

I laughed softly, "No, Peter."

Pete took my arm and pulled me in front of him; he looked my face over, "Does it hurt?"

I gave a nod, "Just a little."

Pete dug into his pocket, pulled out something in a tissue, and opened it up. Inside were some pills; he gave me one, "Take this, you'll feel better."

I didn't question it, I just swallowed it and then took his hand, "C'mon, folks are waiting."

Pete hummed, "In case he kills me, just know I love you."

I rolled my eyes and kissed his cheek, "I love you, too, doofus."