Status: Hopefully a better rewrite (fingers and hearts crossed)

Take This to Your Grave

Out of my control

Pete and I sat in the love seat cornered from my dad and Amy. Pete looked nervous; he smiled grimly, making me giggle. My dad loved this; "What're you so scared of, Pete?"

Pete squeezed my hand, "I don't want you to hit me."

My dad laughed, "I'm not going to hit you."

"Naomi told me that she told you..." Pete trailed.

"Yeah, and I can't control you guys, but I can control my anger." My dad rubbed his hands together, "I'm doing this because my kid likes you, so I should at least give you a chance. There are some rules, got me?"

Pete nodded, while I waited and wondered just what these "rules" were.

"First, you don't put your hands on my kid in anger; you hit her, I hit you and I won't stop." I shook my head at him. "Second, just because you had sex, doesn't mean you two will turn into damn bunny rabbits. If you do it again, you better use protection -birth control isn't full proof. I don't want her to come home sayin' she's pregnant."

I groaned in embarrassment, tugging at the ends of my hair, "Dad!"

My dad looked over at me, "I said there'd be rules."

I shook my head, "Okay, but we know about that stuff."

"I'm making sure he knows."

Pete nodded slowly, "I understand completely, Mr. Valentino. I'm sorry if I--"

"Don't apologize for anything," my dad told him with a raise of his palm, "Just keep her happy, don't play games with her and you do not put your hands on her."

Again, Pete nodded, "Yes, sir."

My dad smiled, "Good. Don't keep her out all night, neither. It may be the summer, but I don't want to worry when she doesn't call."

"I got it."

I felt so much weight float away.

"That's all I wanted to run by you, Pete." My dad said, "If you just follow those simple rules, we won't have a problem."

"I wouldn't dream of breaking your rules, Mr. V."

My dad smirked, "You already did once, so you better learn the second time around."

Amy tapped his arm, "Lee, knock it off, they're kids."

My dad looked to her, smiling, "I'm jokin'."

Amy smiled back at him and patted his cheek, "Now, that wasn't so hard." She looked at us, "It's nice to know Naomi has a nice guy to love."

"Not love," my dad interrupted, "They're just kids, there is no love here."

I frowned, but didn't argue. "So, are we all good? No more hate?"

My dad nodded and then stood, "You kids can go do whatever you kids do nowadays." We all stood then; my dad stuck out his hand, "I'm counting on you, Pete."

Pete shook his hand, "I'll...do my best."

"That's what I want to hear."

Pete looked a little nervous when he looked back at me; I just shrugged. "It was nice meeting you, Amy." He said next.

Amy nodded, "You, too, Pete."

Pete and I left after; he didn't really say where we were going, but I figured we were going back to his place.

"I can't believe you're scared of my dad." I teased him.

"Your dad is big." He muttered. "I don't even know how you can get into an argument with him."

"He wouldn't hit me."

"No, but look at him! He's so threatening."

"My dad is a big teddy bear, Pete, you just haven't seen it."

"If you say so." He gave a shrug. "Hey, do you think he'll loan you the $5 when we get married?"

"In your dreams. Just because we're dating doesn't mean we'll ever get married." I scoffed.

"We aren't gonna date forever." He smiled.

"Hmm, if you say so."

He chuckled, "You don't think I'll ever ask you to marry me?"

"I just think you'll forget our little bet and we'll get married and I'll still have the $5."

"Oh, I'll remember." He promised.

"We'll see."

"We shall." He laughed.

•••

Everything seemed to return to normal almost instantly, but I was with Pete a lot more. He let me stay over all day; it was pretty nice doing things that we had hidden before. My dad wasn't too upset when I would call and say I was spending the night at Pete's. Most nights we would watch movies until we both fell asleep or we would go out and he and his friends terrorized the city at night; I was put in charge to record it. We had a lot of fun; it was more than I expected to do.

In July, when Pete and Joe were had started to get serious about this new band. They hadn't done much about it yet, but they were starting to form it. Pete had come over to my house, while my folks were at work, and nearly fell through the door laughing.

I had come from the kitchen, holding a bag of chips; "What the hell are you in stitches about?"

Pete was doubled over, barely able to get words out. I only got; "This kid...argyle sweater."

"What?"

Pete stood up straight, laughing, "We met the kid, the new drummer, Patrick," he cleared his throat, "We met him, right, and he comes out the house wearing shorts and an argyle sweater."

I raised a brow as he continued to laugh, "Okay..."

"You don't think that's funny?" He asked with disbelieved look.

"Nope."

He sighed, "Don't be a party pooper."

"I'm not, I'm just saying that a kid in an argyle sweater and shorts isn't funny."

Pete took the chips from me, "You had to be there."

"Whatever you say."

Pete and I plopped on the couch; he ripped open the bag and we began to eat the chips. Midway, something in my stomach took a small churn. I hunched forward, and Pete looked over, "You alright, Navy?"

I stood up, the churning seemed to build up some nausea. In an instant I had to throw up; I ran to the kitchen and chucked into the sink. I groaned softly, spewing up the chips and what I had for lunch; Pete had rushed in after me, turning the sink faucet on; "Holy shit, are you alright?"

I rinsed my mouth and nodded, "Y-yeah, I'm fine."

Pete dug into his pocket and then held his hand out to me, "Here, they're anti-nausea pills."

"Why do you keep them in your dirty pocket?"

Pete smiled, "Shut up and take it."

I took the little white pill and swallowed it; he gave me another, this time a yellow one; "What's that?"

"A pain killer." He said simply.

I swallowed that and then leaned against the counter; Pete stood in front of me; "Are you alright?"

"I'm okay...I've been having pains in my stomach and my doctor told me I had to stop taking my birth control to see what it was."

"Is that why you're sick?"

"Probably." I wiped my mouth, "God, it sucks."

Pete pulled me into a hug and rubbed my back. I giggled against his chest, "Thanks."

"You're welcome...even though you didn't laugh when I told you that funny story."

I giggled again, "Tell it to me again."

"You won't laugh if you know."

"Well, tell me everything that you guys did so I can get a visual of the kid."

Pete pulled back and looked at me, "Then you'll laugh?"

"Yes, I'll laugh, Pete."

He gave me a peck on my nose, "Thank you."

I rolled my eyes slightly, "Okay, whatever."

Pete picked me up, causing me to yelp; "Hold on!" He told me.

"Please don't drop me!"

He snickered against my chest, "I'm not gonna drop you, I promise."

•••

I had been with Babette when I had this feeling come over me...I had been sick for a few weeks now, and it wasn't going away. I assumed it was because of my birth control, but it had been nearly a month since I had last taken it.

I thought that maybe my dad's words were forming into reality; that birth control wasn't fail safe. I had wanted to ask Babette to take me to the drug store, since she had taken me to the mall. My leg bounced, and I finally just spat it out, "Can you take me to the drug store?"

"Yeah, sure." She said.

I thought I had it written across my forehead, but I didn't. I had thought about telling her, but I couldn't even say the words out loud to myself. Babette didn't say a word as she pulled into the drug store and parked; I prepared to get out, as did she, but I stopped her.

"I'll go in for you. What do you need?"

She didn't seem fazed by my sudden yield; "I just wanted some gummy bears." She handed me $2.

"Okay." I breathed, "I'll be right out."

Babette hummed and I got out; I hurried inside; suddenly, I felt lost in a store that I had been to hundreds of times. I looked around, my face growing hot; there were a lot of people inside. My feet shifted me around, my hands grabbing the gummy bears first and then down the women's health care aisle. I looked at all the different kinds of pregnancy tests and grabbed the first one. I grabbed some chips and a soda so it wouldn't be so obvious.

At the register, the cashier gave me a funny look; she was an older woman, who looked as if she could be my grandmother. She huffed at me, scanned my items and then I paid; I grabbed my change and the bag and hurried back to Babette's car.

I gave her, her gummy bears; "Thanks, what'd you get?"

"Uh, chips and a soda." I replied quickly.

She didn't look at the bag. "Do you want me to drop you off at home or Pete's?"

"Home, Pete's at the stadium."

She giggled, "I forgot he's working at the food stand this season."

I smiled, too, thinking about how funny he looked with that stupid red visor and his red collared shirt; "Yeah, he looks so cute."

"Do you wanna come with me tomorrow morning to get a gift for Kate for her birthday? Chris'll be asleep when he gets home tonight, and I know that Pete'll be at work."

"Yeah, sure." I said softly, "Just call me."

Babette got to my house in no time at all and I was internally grateful that my dad and Amy were at work. I had gone inside quickly, nearly tossing my chips and soda on the floor to get up the stairs. My heart was in my throat as soon as I reached the landing and was in the bathroom.

The test read 15 minutes and I could barely stand it. I fought to bite my nails and drummed my fingers on the sink; after 5 minutes, the phone downstairs rang. I got up, jogged down the stairs in a slow pace and then picked up the phone; "Hello?"

"Hey, Naomi."

It was my mom.

"Mom, hey." I muttered, "What's up?"

"I was calling to see how you were. Did you get the card?"

I hummed, "Yeah, thanks...I tried calling, but Margot said you were out." I exhaled, my eyes wondering up the stairs.

"I'm sorry, she never told me you called."

"It's fine...uh, how's it going?"

"Everything is fine, how's it going with you?"

I exhaled, "Uh, just fine...Amy and my dad are gettin' married in 3 weeks."

"Oh. Are they going on a honeymoon?"

"Yeah, to California." I paced the floor.

"Who are you going to stay with?" She questioned with weariness.

"Pete." I answered absentmindedly.

"Who's Pete?"

I paused my pacing, "My boy--"

I was cut off by a knock at the door. "Your boyfriend?" She asked.

"Yeah, hold on, mom."

I went over to the door and opened it; standing there was Babette. I let her in, "I'm on the phone with my mom, gimme a sec."

Babette nodded and I returned to talking to my mom; "Yeah, mom, Pete's my boyfriend."

"What happened to Mike?"

"Uh, we broke up." I answered with a shrug, to myself.

"What's this boy like?"

I felt flustered, "He's funny and nice. He used to live next door; he goes to Columbia--"

"That Pete?!" She exclaimed.

"Yes." I answered dumbly.

"Oh my gosh, Naomi. How long have you been dating?"

"A couple months." I wished she'd hang up.

"Oh, well, do you like him?"

"Yes."

"Was that him at the door?"

"No, it's my friend, Babette."

"Oh, I won't keep you then. I'll talk to you later, honey."

"Yeah, okay, bye mom." I hung up and let out a groan. "Geez, that woman. What's up, B?"

Babette sucked in a breath and held up a receipt, "Are you pregnant?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for any mistakes
Tell me what you think :)