Status: Hopefully a better rewrite (fingers and hearts crossed)

Take This to Your Grave

I'll have to pay up one day

I had to hurry and say bye to Amy before I got into my car and began to drive to Chris' place. I was lucky that my dad was out with his friends, so I wouldn't have to explain myself. But, I knew that I would have to care for Pete and I would be beat in the morning.

As soon as I got there, I could see him outside, next to a car, smoking a cigarette. I parked and started over; Chris was with him; "What the hell is going on?"

I didn't see his face immediately, because it was dark and the street lamp wasn't shining in his direction. As soon as I closed in on him, he sucked in deeply on his cigarette; "Hey."

I looked at his face as saw he had a split lip and that was basically it, from the lighting. "What did you do?" I asked him.

Pete shrugged, "Dunno."

I looked at Chris, "What happened?"

He sighed, "I don't know, really. I only caught him when they were kicking him."

I wasn't angry, I felt bad, again, "Pete, are you okay?"

He nodded and then tossed his cigarette, "Can you take me home?"

I took his hand, "C'mon."

I thanked Chris and led Pete to my car. He had a blank expression on his face and was lighting another cigarette. I had began to drive and looked over at him from time to time, "Pete, what happened?"

He shrugged.

I sighed, "You have to tell me."

He was still silent.

"Are you okay?" I asked him.

"Fine."

I didn't bother him until we got to his apartment; inside Tim was smoking a bowl on the couch and waved as we walked in. We didn't speak, we just went to Pete's room; I flicked on the lamp and watched him undress and that's when I finally saw the damage.

Pete had red marks on his abdomen and his back that would eventually bruise. He had a redness around his left eye, which I knew would bruise, and there was a mark on his cheek, it looked like dirt. "Peter, are you okay?"

Pete swayed a bit and nodded, sucking on his cigarette until the ash fell from the tip; "I'm fine." He said, expelling the smoke.

I stood up and went over to him, looking his face and body, "You're a lunatic."

"I know."

I ran my hand over the bruises on his stomach, "Does it hurt?"

"Yeah."

I sighed, "Pete, you can't keep doing this."

He turned away from me and went to snub out his cigarette, "I can do whatever I want."

"They could've hurt you." I frowned as I turned to him, "They did hurt you! What were you thinking?"

Pete sat on the bed, "I was mad...I'm still mad. I'd go back right now and kill them if I wanted to."

"You need to relax," I told him, "Lie down."

"Why should I?"

"Because, look at you! You're gonna be so sore tomorrow and I have to leave soon."

Pete shook his head, "No one told you to come get me."

"Kate called me and I wanted to come and get you."

Pete didn't speak, he kept his eyes on the ground.

"Why did you do it?"

"Because I wanted to."

"You can't keep fighting them."

"Yes I can."

I shook my head and sat beside him, "Why did you do it?"

"I can't kick my own ass, now can I?"

"What do you mean?"

"It's their fault our baby died--"

"No! No, it wasn't anyone's fault." I took his hands.

"Yes it was! It was my fault and they just finished it, so I had to do something." He pulled his hands away from my grasp.

"Pete, listen, this was bound to happen--"

Pete stood and kept his back to me, "You said it was my fault."

"I was mad! I didn't mean it!"

Pete's hands ran down his face, he began to pace, rubbing away at his sore face.

"I didn't mean it," I repeated softer, "I'm sorry."

Pete didn't do anything but go to his dresser, where an array of his medications were. I watched him pick up a bottle, it rattled as he wrenched opened the top and then he poured some into his palm. I felt useless in trying to help him and trying to stop the guilt I obviously put in his head.

"Pete, I didn't mean it." I stood, going over to him. "I'm sorry."

He just shook his head, "You can leave now, I'm gonna go to sleep now."

"Pete, look at me," I ordered, "I want you to see how sorry I am."

"I know you're sorry." He grumbled.

I wrapped my arms around his bare abdomen, "I worry about you. I don't want anyone to hurt you."

He sighed heavily, "Okay, Naomi."

I kissed his shoulder, "Will you be okay tomorrow?"

"I don't know."

"You don't have to come if you don't want to."

He turned, my arms fell to my sides, "I'll see you after, alright?"

I nodded, "Okay."

He kissed my lips, softly and slowly, "You mad at me?"

"No." I kissed him back, "Do you forgive me?"

He smiled, "I wasn't ever mad at you."

"Can you not hit anyone else for awhile?"

He chuckled, "I'll try."

I kissed him again, "I'll stay here until you fall asleep, okay?"

He smiled, "Thanks."

I pet his cheek, "No problem."

Pete and I got into his bed and I laid with him until his breathing got heavy and his eyes shut. I had kissed him before leaving a note for him and heading home. I made sure to tell him to put some ice on his bruises when he woke up.


I was extremely tired by the next morning, and had to hold in yawns at the church. I had dressed and had helped Amy get ready before we went inside. Her friends had all been waiting to be escorted by my dad's friends to the altar, when Amy had pulled me aside the dressing room; "How is Pete?"

I frowned slightly, "Amy, he's fine, you don't have to ask."

She giggled and then bit at her bottom lip, "I'm nervous, that's all."

I patted her arm, "Hey, no need to be nervous."

She exhaled, "Well, um, Naomi, I need to talk to you about something."

"Yeah?"

"The other day I found out that I'm pregnant."

My eyes widened, "What?"

She nodded, her cheeks burning pink, "I am. I haven't told Lee yet, and..." She exhaled through her nose, "You're the only one who knows. Do you think your dad will be okay?"

I was at a loss for words, "Oh...um, I don't know...I think so."

"We never talked about kids, but I'm really excited and I don't know how he'll take it."

I thought for a moment, "I know that he'll be okay, because he isn't one to not like kids."

"How do you feel about it?" Again, she bit her bottom lip, her bright eyes watching me.

"I think it's awesome." I answered truthfully. "Congrats."

It was true, but at the same time, I felt envious. And then I thought about it; it would've been really weird being pregnant at the same time as Amy.

"Thank you, honey." She hugged me. "I think it'll go over well if you're okay with it."

"It's your life, ya'know, you shouldn't care what I think."

Amy shook her head, "I do, because you're not that much younger than me and you are my step-daughter...I love you like you're my own, if that isn't weird?"

I felt my heart melt, almost, at her words. "Ya do?"

"Yes, of course. I love you, Naomi. You're a great kid. You're an amazing daughter; me and your dad think so."

I saw her eyes water and I hugged her again, "I'm happy for you and my dad. Thank you."

She chuckled, "I'm happy to have you in my life, Naomi."

The water works were drowning us both; I hugged her tightly, "No tears yet," I told her with a small laugh, "Go marry my old man first."

She laughed, too, "Alright, escort me, honey."

The two of us left the dressing room, making sure our makeup wasn't messed up beforehand, and then followed the bridesmaids. I stood with my dad's friend Jerry, his arm hooking with mine as we followed behind the women and men. I saw Pete sitting in the back and smiled at him before marching forth; my dad waved at me and I waved back, feeling over the moon for he and Amy. It was in that small sliver of time that I had finally realized that things happen for a reason; I lost my baby for a reason and it wasn't anyone's fault. My dad probably would've gotten over it, but he didn't need to know, because he was having his own with a woman who makes him very, very happy.

I felt very happy to be his daughter. I knew that he'd be ecstatic once he knew he was gonna be a daddy again. As soon as I met him at the altar I said to him, "Congratulations, dad."

He didn't know that I meant it for two things, but he did grin; "Thanks, kiddo."

I looked over at Pete as everyone rose to watch Amy come down the isle; he had a black eye, but he looked utterly handsome in his suit. Friends and a bit of family all gaze at Amy, but Pete and I locked eyes and I waved my fingers at him and he smiled at me. Once Amy reached my dad, the priest began to talk; I wasn't paying much attention, my eyes wondered to Pete and I tried not to focus too much to lose the memory of the event. I knew that, during the entire wedding, was that I was going to marry Pete. He and I were going to get married and I would owe him $5.

He made my stomach knot terribly.

Afterward, we headed to the reception hall, where I finally met with Pete. He looked a little gloomy when we finally got together; "I didn't think you'd want to come."

He smiled, "My mom asked me to come."

I pouted at him, "Oh, really? Just because your mom asked you to come?"

He wrapped his arms around me, "I wanted to see you, too."

I hugged him, "How do you feel?"

"I feel okay...a little sore, but I'll live."

I kissed him, "I love you."

He grinned, "I love you, too."

"I'm happy you're okay, too."

"Thanks, Navy."

"You wanna come home with me when my dad and Amy leave? It'll be just us."

He smiled, "Duh."

I slugged his arm softly and playfully, "You want to stay there or do you want me to go your place?"

"I'll stay at yours." He smirked.

"We can't do anything, ya'know."

He sighed, "Yeah, I know. Can't you just trust I want to be with you and not do anything dirty?"

I smirked back, "Kinda."

He kissed my forehead, "I just want to play house with you for a little while without my friends."

I laughed, "Play house?"

"Yep. I'm the daddy and you can be the mommy."

My cheeks warmed, "Filthy man."

He laughed, "Hey, I didn't say anything dirty."

I kissed his cheek, "Alright, we can play house, if you'll be good."

"Good?"

"Yeah, stop beating up on idiots."

"Is it a promise?"

"No...only for awhile and if it doesn't hurt you."

He scoffed, "Okay, okay, I won't beat up on anyone."

I squeezed my arms around him, "Thank you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Next update will be a time skip, I'm just letting you all know in advance.
Also, who else saw the livestream with Fall Out Boy tonight? It was awesome, I cannot wait to see them live again :D